TAGS IN STRANGE PLACES

Pinup

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article to the above for all you lazy people like myself.....^^^

The Writing on the Wall

9/11 Mural Near Ground Zero Outrages Some New Yorkers

advertisement

By Lynne Duke

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, May 15, 2003; Page C01

NEW YORK -- He arrived with a ladder, paint and rope. Brazenly, alone and in broad daylight last Saturday, James Peterson, "guerrilla artist," climbed atop a landmark TriBeCa building just nine blocks from Ground Zero. It was a one-story garage, right next to a large brick wall. It became his canvas. He painted a Warholesque message about Sept. 11, 2001.

"I just got up there and started doing it," Peterson says nervously, now that he has been vilified. "I didn't hide at all."

Lynn Rogoff was watching him as he painted. She lives in a loft across the street. When she saw work being done, she assumed the owners were putting in a new window -- until she realized it was a paint job -- and an odd one, in the yellow and black of traffic signs. And then she saw the words: "Caution: Low Flying Planes." And Rogoff hit the roof.

The planes did fly low that day 20 months ago, one of them right over TriBeCa, right over Leonard Street and straight into the World Trade Center. Rogoff saw it from her window. She saw it all. She saw the jumpers. She is livid that Peterson would do something so insensitive for people still haunted.

"He's trying to capitalize off this tragedy," says Rogoff, a film professor, standing at her window, sneering at the painting. "He thinks he's being cute. I don't find it very cute."

Her husband, Mark Tabashnick, cuts to the chase. The painting is bad for TriBeCa's main asset: real estate values. "We're trying to sell the place," Tabashnick said, shrugging, as if wondering what potential buyers would think about such an image right outside the window.

Ever fastidious about what does or does not happen in this tony warren of Lower Manhattan, more than a dozen TriBeCa residents have complained to the city's Landmark Preservation Commission about this painting that went up illegally on a landmark building, and that has hurt so many feelings.

The commission has ordered the building's owner to correct the violation within 20 days or, instead, to appeal for the commission to legalize the mural. The owner could not be reached for comment.

Despite the controversy along this cobblestone street, there are many others for whom the painting is no big deal.

Chris Wolf lives in the building and does not mind at all that the Sept. 11 reminder is right on the facade. He had not met Peterson until he discovered a note the artist slipped under his door, explaining the painting and its intent. Wolf believes there are hypocrites afoot in this controversy.

Pointing to the painting, Wolf says: "If that was a Tommy Hilfiger ad, nobody would be complaining. . . . If it was a 12-year-old with too much lipstick on, that would have been all right. But this is not?"

"The more people say it needs to come down, the more I think it needs to stay up," says Wolf, an apartment renovator. "I've been in this neighborhood since 1982. People in this neighborhood used to make art. Now they make money."

Renderings and memorializations of all kinds have sparked controversy time and again since the terror attacks. How to remember? How to pay homage? How to create norms and limits or let free expression flow?

An exhibit of a sculpture of a falling body -- like those that fell from the twin towers -- was shut down after complaints about tastelessness. The flood of tourists blitzing Ground Zero still are resented as gawkers. And the culture war over a new architectural design and memorial for the trade center site drags on.

Enter James Peterson, 36, struggling artist, 10-year transplant from North Carolina, putting his own flavor into the debate over remembrance.

His 10-by-14-foot painting, he says, is about the terrorist threat. "It's still out there. . . . [The painting is] a statement saying it's not over."

He didn't do it for the publicity, he says. He didn't expect to get such media coverage, he says. He does have, however, a nicely printed handout to explain his art, titled "Caution: 2003."

He calls his painting a "memorial to an hour and forty-five minutes in time and those who perished within those moments."

But Mark Tabashnick, across the street, pooh-poohs the idea that the mural is a memorial.

"When you look at the thing, it does not in any way express homage," he says.

And if he wanted to memorialize something, Rogoff says, why doesn't he join the official memorial competition, open to all?

"I didn't know about it. I would have," Peterson says. "This is what I did. It's out there."

"I was really trying to re-create the feeling of time right after the second plane hit. An emotional response. . . . Remember what happened. Never forget. Caution."

Originally posted by I am Fabio

Tags in the woods are nothing new to me. I live near a mountain town, and see forest tags frequently. Whats cool, is when youre hiking and see a hectic alert tag on some metal box like 10 miles away from anything. Also, I've spotted many cool writers in wierd locations like behind reststops on the freeway in Kentucky or stuff like scribes on mirrors in FANCY resturants. That always makes me laugh. Good writers with good taste. Not to drop names, but Eruptoe327 is by far the most up writer in "wierd" locations that I've ever seen. Almost every state I've visited has had him popping up in the most obscure locations. Plus he's always popping up in the backgrounds on movies, commercials and in a recent issue of Rolling Stone that a friend of mine was modeling in.

I'll post some obscure tags later.

Love,

Fabio.

the toilets of a mac donald are always a good place to find tags....

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by I am Fabio

Not to drop names, but Eruptoe327 is by far the most up writer in "wierd" locations that I've ever seen. Almost every state I've visited has had him popping up in the most obscure locations.

yes

i don't know how the fuck he does it

i saw him on a heavy waste bin near a construction site in the middle of an alleyway in galveston

what the fuck is with that

Archived