critique my shitty letters!

el coro

hey all, i've been trying to get my letters up to par, and i dunno anymore. any feedback on what i'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. lets keep this constructive, bear in mind i am a 12 year graffiti vet, but my focus to this point has really only been characters and background elements, so i'm looking to balance myself out a bit. here area few letter sets i've done lately. personally, i think they all suck, and thats why i'm posting them. thanks-c36

http://www.coro36ink.com/updates/sketchbook/katsuweb.jpg'>

http://www.coro36ink.com/updates/sketchbook/lets03-001web.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

shits serious. i especially like the one that has the teal forcefield. i saw your other shit on that concept art website. those "doodles" are dope ass hell. The crosshatching you do with that brush pen makes those chracters look nice as hell. The jeans with no upper body look ill.

Guest WebsterUno
Originally posted by Kes_One_HTFD

i saw your other shit on that concept art website. those "doodles" are dope ass hell.

where is this thread at??? I want to see.

You letters are clean, I see no major problem.

forcefield, lolz...I call it a 2nd outline, whatevers clever.

BETTER THAN SOME OF THESE FUCKIN WACK ASSES ON HERE!!

I DONT SEE WHAT THE PROB WITH YOUR LETTERS IS!! SHITTY? I THINK NOT, THEY ARE WELL UP TO PAR... NOT ONLY THAT BUT YOU POSTIN, UNLIKE WHYNING LITTLE BITCHES IN HERE!

I find it hard to critique your letters since they are colored and you have dope fills and color schemes. Post some black and whites so that your letters stand in their standard form and ill get back to ya. You obiously know enough about art that you could camoflage your shit if you wanted to and I see a mix of basic graff with graphic degin in your first images. Its not bad but if you really want to develop them further find a style you want to do and sketch it over many times in pencil until you get it looking right. Then do that again and again kinda like doing quick figure drawings only you can come back and fix the mistakes-

hey thanks to everybody who responded. i think i have a clearer idea of where i should go with these. all of your input is greatly appreciated.

yes, i'm a featured artist on conceptart.org. i work in the video game industry as a conceptual and enviromental artist. graffiti is the thing that made me start to take art seriously, and i'll always be thankful to her for that. i started piecing in 92, and fell in love with the paint. while i do a lot of oil painting and digital work, i still keep a blackbook, and still try to get out and paint with aerosol as much as i can. i love and respect the artform, and owe all i have to it.

IntangibleFame : glad you could use this thread for your little name dropping sesh. i asked for feedback on the letters i drew, not a poke in the chest by some "look how much i know" graffiti messageboard whore. where's your book? unless you can come up with something constructive to say, you jus look like a sad little hater to me.

eseLokE1uno: i'm definitely gonna do some black and whites. i totally see what you mean, and i think i do camouflage alot.

thanks again.-c36

Coro:-

I'm not feeling the flow and shaping of these letters. I know that you have good solid simple letters, because of this:

http://www.coro36ink.com/updates/sketchbook/rogweb.jpg

(picture not posted to save space)

Build on those. They are simple, and readable. My only critique of them would be that they are too close together, but that's my personal view.

The letters you've posted on this post seem to aim too hard to interconnect, sacrificing structure for flow. This may work if your pieces had more sweeping lines of action, but they look kinda static.

eseLokE1uno is giving the right advice - do some black and white stuff, it's alot easier to judge letter form that way. However, you have some really nice fills and a lot of artistic talent. Keep it that way!

Archived