salt lake city punk, fantastic fucking movie.

taco bell bomber

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

this is one of my favorite movies as well as sid and nancy

haha you wanna be like steve-o... poser

i like heroin bob... many of my friends are like him... and they were like that b4 the movie, and we even called a friend needle dan cuz he hated needles

Guest bug

i fucking hated that movie. it was a sheltered suburban take on punk. it makes punks look like teens with shallow identity issues, that eventually grow out of it.

although it is true that this is what most kids nowadays that identify themselves as punk go through, there's no real punks in the movie that live some sort of life of resistance, political activism, or social awareness.

go get a dead kennedy's or crass album and read the fucking lyrics, you'll see that this movies characters are not punks. the movie could have easily been called SLC fratboy or SLC guido.

Originally posted by bug

i fucking hated that movie. it was a sheltered suburban take on punk. it makes punks look like teens with shallow identity issues, that eventually grow out of it.

although it is true that this is what most kids nowadays that identify themselves as punk go through, there's no real punks in the movie that live some sort of life of resistance, political activism, or social awareness.

go get a dead kennedy's or crass album and read the fucking lyrics, you'll see that this movies characters are not punks. the movie could have easily been called SLC fratboy or SLC guido.

and some of this was part of the point of the movie. he knew he was from a rich family, he knew that he couldnt fake the funk all his life and that he'd go on to college and be just like his lawyer dad.

about the sheltered suburban take. well, they lived in salt lake city,utah. you been there before? talk about sheltered.

finally, i dont think that it makes all punks "look like teens with shallow identity issues," just a few of the characters in this movie.

if you really dont look at it like some kind of punk manifesto like you apparently are, youll see a very well made movie with good acting and storyline.

Guest bug
Originally posted by freightlover

and some of this was part of the point of the movie. he knew he was from a rich family, he knew that he couldnt fake the funk all his life and that he'd go on to college and be just like his lawyer dad.

about the sheltered suburban take. well, they lived in salt lake city,utah. you been there before? talk about sheltered.

finally, i dont think that it makes all punks "look like teens with shallow identity issues," just a few of the characters in this movie.

if you really dont look at it like some kind of punk manifesto like you apparently are, youll see a very well made movie with good acting and storyline.

you're right, but thats not what i was getting at.

The average person watching this will assume that the next guy they see that looks remotely "punk" can be classified like the characters in the movie. some stuff reminded me of my own youth (like putting up with the redneck's reactions at the liquor store), but the way they explain punks, like how they show the relations between punks, skins, mods, etc...or the way they explain "poseurs", as if they are the real punks themselves, gives the impression that they're explaining what it is to be a punk.

one thing that bugged me about the movie is because it showed the struggle of a "punk" and i honeslty couldn't relate to the characters in the movie, and i've never known a single person involved in the punk scene who was like those characters either. people i've met who were like those characters were the "poseurs".

i just thought it was a cheesy story of a kid going through a little struggle and ended up just like his dad. if you can relate, i'm glad, i just thought the story line was a simple plot that really wouldn't be any type of struggle in my life.

but you're right, its good that the character realized he was in fact privilaged, i just didn't relate at all to the movie

it wasnt about himloosing his faith in being a punk....but loosing it in anarchy, which he explains why he lost it.

on the whole thing about loving to fight even tho it goes agianst anarchy.

i wouldnt even classify this movie about punks and anarchy more about a loss of faith in something.

if u had the same plot with diffrent character social settings, it wouldnt be about punk anymore. but it would still be about faith in something.

• 2 weeks later...

i had a friend that was in love with slc punk......he watched it about a million or so times....it kinda got irritating after a while....but i really only thought the part when the kid absorbs all the acid through his skin and freaks out was funny....

Archived