The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

Ha. One is in Antelope Valley (which you should explore once it cools off) and the other is in Yermo. Next time you go through Yermo you gotta stop at Peggy Sue's Diner.

I've seen Peggy Sue's before, on the way to Vegas, but I haven't stopped there yet. I have another Vegas trip lined up so maybe I'll stop this time, haha.

Thanks again for recommending all these spots out here. I'm starting to learn my way around and getting to explore some places.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I've seen Peggy Sue's before, on the way to Vegas, but I haven't stopped there yet. I have another Vegas trip lined up so maybe I'll stop this time, haha.

Thanks again for recommending all these spots out here. I'm starting to learn my way around and getting to explore some places.

Definitely stop at Peggy Sue's. It's full of crazy old memorabilia, and has a "diner-saur" park out back. The food is greasy diner food--but they also have pizza and an ice cream parlor, I think.

LMK if you want Vegas area recommendations. I LOVE Vegas. But for the places outside of the strip. I'm not a Vegas strip kinda person.

Definitely stop at Peggy Sue's. It's full of crazy old memorabilia, and has a "diner-saur" park out back. The food is greasy diner food--but they also have pizza and an ice cream parlor, I think.

LMK if you want Vegas area recommendations. I LOVE Vegas. But for the places outside of the strip. I'm not a Vegas strip kinda person.

Well, you've steered me well so far in your recommendations, haha. What are a couple of your favorite Vegas spots? I've been a few times since moving, but I still haven't explored that area too much.

Must-see Vegas things:

1. The Pinball Hall of Fame. Trust me on this and just go. Be careful not to miss it, it's just a big warehouse with a small banner on it, no big signage. Across the street from the Liberace Museum, which I'd also say you have to see, except it's closed now. :(

2. Red Rock--drive the loop but be sure to stop and do some hiking. My favorite hike is the one that ends at a waterfall. Probably dried up this time of year. Also the hike with the ancient ovens and petroglyphs.

5395884836_7ec20f4329.jpg

5357828687_1e39527550_z.jpg

3. The Valley of Fire - an hour north of Vegas. One of my favorite places on earth:

3242873066_268edf5532_z.jpg

The rocks are covered in ancient petroglyphs, it is the coolest thing:

2249808098_f1b5bdd640_z.jpg

4. Fremont Street--preferably at night. There is a Neon Sign museum--which is different from the Neon Sign Graveyard. The graveyard costs money and you can only go through it on a tour. The Neon Sign museum in Fremont is just out on the streets.

5435862867_7f68cc0745.jpg

Also, Vegas has an arts district that most people don't know about. There's some graffiti there, not a whole ton, but some:

5374926699_17a18ec893_z.jpg

5365474667_0867378b33_z.jpg

5366938551_15cb230b79_z.jpg

Oh and also the Hoover Dam is about 30min-1hr away:

5364062076_356cf73fa8_z.jpg

5372302357_2d8cc3b9b9_z.jpg

Although this time of year, you're really only going to want to do the Pinball Hall of Fame and Fremont at night. Must be boiling hot out there!

I'm about to go out to Vegas for a week or so. Seems like everyone says not to sleep on the pinball hall of fame.

I'll see if I can talk someone with a car into loaning it to me or taking a trip out to Valley of Fire.

Really starting to like this Polaroid but can't get it to stop overexposing, wish it had manual setings.

tumblr_lq7ak6vonI1qg9r9wo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lq7alrnakJ1qg9r9wo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lq7ano56Jw1qg9r9wo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lq7apdAHSK1qg9r9wo1_500.jpg

Really starting to like this Polaroid but can't get it to stop overexposing, wish it had manual setings.

Which version do you have? I have the 50S and it has a darken setting, but earlier versions don't.

If yours doesn't you can try a neutral density filter (ND filter). A Flickr contact of mine uses it on his Instax and gets good results.

I have the same one as you, I have neutral density filters and that's not a bad idea for the outdoors shots.

It would be killer if I could find a super small one that I could attach to the lens.

I know it has the L and D settings as well but it generally tends to overexpose with and without the flash firing.

It's all good though, I use it for fun and it doesn't really matter if it's dead on or not.

nothing new, just to keep the polaroids going

long exposures on a sx70 with regular 600 film.

same thing, the 600 film isnt made for sx70 so it needed a ND filter to not over expose, so i took a red gel and a blue gel, and cut them to cover the lens, somehow it worked.

levels1.jpg

bluelightscorner.jpg

i think was a blue gel only. also i think Rage has this original in a trade from forever ago

triple exposure 667 film on a land camera

triple.jpg

cemetery man

grave1.jpg

yeah i guess i have to get one of those fuji's. all my expired polaroid spots dried up.

this one41YPZQJ304L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

i found a whole bunch of these and you used to be able to get the film at any cvs/drugstore thing

you could do a bunch of exposures on one frame and they came out pretty good. i think the photos were close in size to that fuji camera's

going old if noone's posting

flec2.jpg

vtttt.jpg

no focus

melnel.jpg

angel.jpg

jesusface11.jpg

mary2.jpg

silochurch.jpg

m2.jpg

oldy.jpg

these are so incredibly old. i hope you like em. haha.

post more black&whites if you got 'em

i shoot mainly digital now, so even if i purposely switch to b&w, when i import as raw they come in as color anyway, i know its an easy switch, but its more fun if you're trying to photograph a certain way.

i'm done.

:D

Congrats on the job!

Here are some mostly B&W polaroids. Old stuff.

Salvation Mountain:

5541968522_1a54c0b974_z.jpg

Peggy Sue's Diner in Yermo again:

4549678072_6275e563f6_z.jpg

Cafe sign in Yermo (the cafe is long gone, only the sign remains):

4554075169_c351cb8f48_z.jpg

Pretty often-shot location in downtown LA:

5938699156_a03b19e5e1_z.jpg

My husband on the Seal Beach pier:

3598204518_40f4528405_z.jpg

OK so most were color.

What is that, like plaster on the wall? It's tricking my eyes. Haha.

Currently deciding if I sell my DSLR/lens/flash and save a bit more for an m8.2, I've barely picked up the DSLR in months since I've been using the m6, it doesn't feel comfortable to use anymore. I've got one music gig to shoot next month so I guess I'll decide after that.

PS I like the idea of trading prints, we should get some Oontz print swaps going with everyone.

yee dude, you going to get a sales job at that shop?

I'm in a shop now too, I run a rental department. It's stressful! Too much expensive gear and not just lenses and cameras, studio lighting and expensive video cameras. shits crazy. I think the perks are good though, I haven't inquired yet, only worked 5 days so far...

What is that, like plaster on the wall? It's tricking my eyes. Haha.

Currently deciding if I sell my DSLR/lens/flash and save a bit more for an m8.2, I've barely picked up the DSLR in months since I've been using the m6, it doesn't feel comfortable to use anymore. I've got one music gig to shoot next month so I guess I'll decide after that.

PS I like the idea of trading prints, we should get some Oontz print swaps going with everyone.

It is plaster or something weird like that.

Damn after using that M9 . I had to tell my self ,"I don't need this yet"

So far its working .But someday ill cave in.

yee dude, you going to get a sales job at that shop?

I'm in a shop now too, I run a rental department. It's stressful! Too much expensive gear and not just lenses and cameras, studio lighting and expensive video cameras. shits crazy. I think the perks are good though, I haven't inquired yet, only worked 5 days so far...

Word! I was looking at a rental job but I don't drive so it was out of the question, looked like heaps busy work though, delivering gear to clients for shoots and stuff.

Yeah I'm just doing sales, don't start until next week so I've got this week to get out every day and try to shoot as much as I can. Looking forward to it though, working in the city so I can be out shooting after work and it's much better then sitting at a desk answering calls and shit all day.

Sue, thanks for all the Vegas recommendations. I'll have to try and talk everyone else into taking a break from debauchery so we can really enjoy the area.

Mercer, when are you going to be in Vegas?

And, for the hell of it, here's an older picture. Nothing special, but a self portrait in the Vietnam Memorial Wall in D.C.

QyxiM.jpg

Mercer, when are you going to be in Vegas?

Tomorrow at midnight according to the airline, staying for a week, I wont have a ride of my own so playing everything by ear.

Should be fun, mad pools to skate, one to swim in, mad photo's to take, and the traditional LV excessive wilin' out.

Tomorrow at midnight according to the airline, staying for a week, I wont have a ride of my own so playing everything by ear.

Should be fun, mad pools to skate, one to swim in, mad photo's to take, and the traditional LV excessive wilin' out.

Cool. I'll be up there this weekend. If you see someone stumbling around with a Yankees hat and possibly a camera, say hi, haha.