The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

^they are aren't they? im in the midst of a bureaucratic nightmare right now - so i got a grant for the cameras and my pay and all that to do this, and the organization was not happy at allllll with the product, and have been going back into the files and pulling out photos of muchhh worse quality. they wanna do an exhibition of photos that show 'windows of peace'. so they chose kids posing in front of their homework, smiling etc. instead of the photos that i've been showing here, which are much stronger images in my opinion (and if i allow myself to be arrogant, i know a little bit more about this sort of thing than a social worker).

done venting - i wish these kids had internet/computers/cameras/knew english so they could get on here and contribute, that would be sooo dope if we had 30 kids from the panamanian hood posting daily in the days in pies thread. oh well. (ps, the organization took the cameras back, none of these kids got cameras now), kinda bullshit.

That is fucking bullshit.

Do a blog for them or something. Post the real shit. I bet at least one or two them could go on do something with right inspiration and tools.

I'd be down to contribute some money to send those kids cameras if there was a way they could get them to you to post or something.

What kind of fucking organization does shit like that? Don't put them on blast since you are involved, but they should be giving them one computer(a cheap one will do) or asking people to donate their old crap and let them keep them cameras. You don't take candy from a kid who's never had it.. ya know..?

This is crazy wrong and think it needed to be bumped incase anyone missed it.

Mayor, you only have a week left, but like IOU suggested could you start a blog with the kids images, set up a simple online store and sell prints of the kids work with the cash going to them and/or to a fund to get them their own equipment? Could probably also set up an option for people to donate direct? (could send them something free for their support to say thanks)

Either way, like IOU said I'd also be down to contribute cash to get these kids some gear and I'd hope others on here would to.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I'd take a look at the histogram/curves and bring the highlights up if you're going to edit it.

That pretty much goes for both of them, sometimes if it's flat light or just underexposed you can fix that.

In photoshop go to image/adjustments/curves a histogram will show up letting you know if your whites are white or blacks are black.

Peep: link

Thanks man. I appreciate it. I dont normally edit my photos..other than turning them Band W or doing minor crops. When taking that first picture..I shot it underexposed..I thought it added to the overall feel of the place. But I think i may have overdone it because It does look a bit flat or dull. As for the plane picture..., I just thought it was pretty fucking cool that some dude had a bunch of these things sitting all over his property. When I turned it black and white...i warmed it up a bit, to try and give it that 'old' feel. But again man..crits and advice are always welcome. Thank you.

Final projects have been stressing me the fuck out. I've been editing all day, except for when i was in class. So I decided to take a break from school stuff and do a little personal stuff. We took a field trip in my PHO121 class to Hedrich Blessing today and got to do some stuff in their studio. http://www.hedrichblessing.com

5244875387_4dd414748f.jpg

5245476424_137479f425.jpg

5244872843_2a3aa5affb.jpg

5245472860_da01da4e62.jpg

5244869913_3f9d1c6484.jpg

5244869225_7db72117ea.jpg

Jon Miller, one of the partners at the firm. http://www.hedrichblessing.com/jonvision1.html

5245469868_9b1b4dd898.jpg

The product we were setting up the shot for.

5244866985_647192de1d.jpg

5245468372_9f771daacf.jpg

I was actually thinking about taking a photography class in my university next semester, but I found out that you have a take a painting, drawing or sculpture class before any photography class.

I'm pretty pissed off about it because I suck at all those, and they really have nothing to do with photography (besides sometimes being considered art.) I think it's just because they don't have enough art students to offer a basic photography course.

Edit: However, I can never really shoot with anyone else around, especially if they're taking photos too. I dunno how I'd handle a setting like that.

I took a digital photography class and yes, you have to take some other art class. I took photoshop since i had years of experience.

Overall, all they teach is a little bit of history about photography, famous photographers, most of the settings on the cameras, and a whole different way to taking pictures.

Learning how to use your camera is not difficult. Thanks to youtube, you should be able to learn all the basic functions of a camera, like exposure, shutter speed, etc.

Once you learn how to use your camera, your creativity comes next. Its not just the matter of point and shoot. Your pictures are art, make them tell a story.

That's the thing. I know how to use a camera. I don't know everything and I wouldn't be anywhere near perfect without a light meter, but I'm still pretty competent.

I would definitely not be taking a digital course though.

Edit: Talky, talky, talky. No more talky.

I've already posted these, but not the 2nd scanning of them which I feel is much better.

5245633500_acba7b47fb_z.jpg

5245030435_ae50192037_z.jpg

WOW. Spaceman. Dude. For being a good photographer that was a pretty ignorant statement. Painting and drawing have no relation to photography? Yeah, that blows you have to take those courses before hand but composition and basic visual elements are driven into your head by these other artforms. Photography grew out of painting for god sakes. But with your situation screw overpaying for the prerequisites at a university and in turn spending 3 times as much for the sake of taking a photo course. Possibly see if you can take a photo course at a junior college?

WOW. Spaceman. Dude. For being a good photographer that was a pretty ignorant statement. Painting and drawing have no relation to photography? Yeah, that blows you have to take those courses before hand but composition and basic visual elements are driven into your head by these other artforms. Photography grew out of painting for god sakes. But with your situation screw overpaying for the prerequisites at a university and in turn spending 3 times as much for the sake of taking a photo course. Possibly see if you can take a photo course at a junior college?

I meant for me they have no relation in my ability. I could see having to take an art history or art studies course but these courses are studio courses and are graded upon how well you draw, paint or sculpt. (I've checked and asked around.) I understand how concepts are important and apply to all forms of art, but because I can take okay photos doesn't mean I can draw or sculpt well.

Like I said, I be okay with a history or concepts/whatever course being required but I don't want to lower my GPA just to take a "fun" course on account of my suckiness at other, more popular courses.

Edit: But yeah, there is a community college near me, but it's the one I used to go to and I still owe them money haha.