The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

In my opinion the flash was too strong. looks studio-staged. tone that down a little bit next time you go out shooting. the type of terrain isn't quite right for exemplifying the bike jump either. its hard to guage how high dude is off the ground. (especially the first one, his back wheel's height is lost by the shadow in the background). Also, as far as postproduction goes, the sky looks a little plastic around the edges of the tree branches. its okay to have a light sky if the only way to correct it is to oversaturate the blue like that.

edit-

i encourage people to check out this http://christopherandersonphoto.com/#/BOOK%20PROJECTS/NONFICTION/1

best use of that holga look i've seen and i know a lot of you guys are into that sort of thing.

i just looked briefly through two reviews, i would recommend teh 3100. all the specs are better. the only downer is the less variety the 3100 has relative to the 90.

I have the 3000, and though the entry level dslr's get knocked on a lot around here, I actually prefer them because they are so much more portable. It seems like youre purchasing online, but if possible, I'd recommend holding the two in your hand to see which you prefer, the d90 is more than half a pound heavier and a lot bulkier i believe.

Thanks for that link, wanted to check out some more of his videos.

As for the entry level discussion, I'd say the most slept on camera's are the Lumix 4/3rds like the G1 and G2.

They don't look legit because they're so compact since there is no mirror, but the shots speak for themselves.

In fact, I'd say the quality is better than most entry level SLR's and also great ISO performance.

A good friend of mine copped, he's been getting super sick photo's with it lately, content and quality

Kinda wish dude posted in here so you could see what I'm talking about but I guess he's got his own shit going.

i notice most people on here seem to shoot nikon. i shoot canon but i only have an old xti with an ef-s lens (wont fit full frame body) and one ef that would still work, my 50mm 1.4 which is about $350. so not much to lose by switching to nikon. i've been pondering switching to though when i upgrade to a full frame body since either way im gonna have to get a new zoom lens for my main lens... but every time i use a nikon i cant stand the format/ the way its set up. i would think i would get used to that though. but the fact that the old lenses work on nikons really appeals to me. so im wondering if anyone has anything to offer as far as advice... any other good reasons i may want to switch? oh and i already have a pretty nice a-1 with some good lenses and power winder etc.. so i dont know how much i would use the fact that you can use old nikon lens on new nikon bodys.

True, if you get a Nikon body with a focus motor, lenses from the 60's will work flawlessly. Nikons had the same F-Bayonet style lens system since 1965 I think. Since most lenses are made for 35mm you can get some good used glass. Also, from my experience the D700 is the shit, hands down the best purchase I've made.

If you're planning on getting into studio work though I'd recommend sticking with cannon. Much easier to make a living at this doing studio work. It seems to me like the pro's at field work are shifting towards or already using Nikon's now. I'm pretty sure because of the way they capture natural light and their speed/ISO performance per dollar. The studio pro's still use cannon mostly unless it's Mamiya or Hasselblad, because cannon delivers higher MP's per dollar, plus the controlled lighting of studio shooting makes up for any loss in speed.

thanks for the advice. gives me some more important facts to consider... i care more about photography from a photojournalistic point of view than studio shooting. so let me get this right... if the body has a focusing motor, you can use old manual lenses as auto focus? i'd be happy enough even being able to use them manual. although i guess if thats all i could use old nikon lenses with adapters... it just hadnt ever occurred to me about the motor...

In my opinion the flash was too strong. looks studio-staged. tone that down a little bit next time you go out shooting. the type of terrain isn't quite right for exemplifying the bike jump either. its hard to guage how high dude is off the ground. (especially the first one, his back wheel's height is lost by the shadow in the background). Also, as far as postproduction goes, the sky looks a little plastic around the edges of the tree branches. its okay to have a light sky if the only way to correct it is to oversaturate the blue like that.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. This was both the first time I've shot with flash and edited, everything until this point I've just posted sooc. I need Photoshop so I can have better control- I just boosted the temperature and exposure a little bit in iPhoto and it turned out like that.