The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

i wish that there was more manual and film photography in here. its a shame that it is almost regressed into history instead of active media. i understand the evolution of media, but i am sure we can all agree that film hones much more artistic value rather than a high-contrast, high-megapixel point-and-shoot.

/end rant

i shoot as much film as i can afford. i don't think you can discredit the people in here because we use dslr's though, not many of us are shooting auto either...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

armss.jpg

p4.jpg

ss-1.jpg

cc.jpg

more old film.. i have about a dozen rolls i need to develop and the same amount to shoot..

everyone loves film, digital is just so much easier..

anyone got any old canons that fit the fd lenses get at me...

**also its sunday night and im bored. hope this is alright fuckers

i wish that there was more manual and film photography in here. its a shame that it is almost regressed into history instead of active media. i understand the evolution of media, but i am sure we can all agree that film hones much more artistic value rather than a high-contrast, high-megapixel point-and-shoot.

/end rant

I value the quality of an image more so than the medium, but I use digital because most of the people I work for work at a faster rate than film allows. I'd love to see your work, you should post up, I intend on getting some serious film equipment for my personal projects one day. Until then I'm stuck in digital land.

Lately I've been getting paranoid that my work is all going to get lost somehow, even though I have multiple back-ups, the fear doesn't subside.

Film photography doesn't hone any more "artistic value" than digital, it's personal preference.

Digital has pretty much caught up to 35mm as far as image quality, and in some areas passed it.

Some would argue medium format digital has also caught up or passed medium format film in image quality.

That comment is similar to the way artists dismissed photographers in the early days saying a photo doesn't have any artistic value.

Film or digital, you're completely relying on technology and you're environment to create the image you're capturing.

If you want to wave your cock around like you're better than everyone else try hand grinding your pigments,

stretching a canvas that you wove yourself, on a loom you hand built, over wood from a tree you ripped down bare handed,

then paint something on the canvas with brushes you made yourself without even looking at the subject.

Or you could just work on creating better images no matter the medium and put your tiny cock away.

Film is used as a turd polish just like HDR and over saturation/editing.

I can't stand "expired film" shots that are mad boring to begin with but use the expired film effect to hipster spice it up.

It's no worse than making an HDR of a boring ass shot, both are turd polish or crutches at least 80% of the time I see them.

EastHastings... There's a pretty hefty amount of people in here that post film shit. Space and Waffle always usually come through with it. Plus that's all I post in here anyway. Mercer I completely back you on that expired film and HDR comment. Have you guys heard of the new Digital Lomo camera? It's fucking horrendous. The camera's gonna mimic light leaks, grain, and all the trendy qualities of Holga's and other shitty Lomo cameras.

Waffle I see your nice Canon EOS-1 and raise you a Mamiya RZ67.

4689271346_2d7e09f90b_z.jpg

These are 35mm though...

4922008311_4abcd90fb0_z.jpg

4922603640_1b439a7668_z.jpg

Film photography doesn't hone any more "artistic value" than digital, it's personal preference.

Digital has pretty much caught up to 35mm as far as image quality, and in some areas passed it.

Some would argue medium format digital has also caught up or passed medium format film in image quality.

That comment is similar to the way artists dismissed photographers in the early days saying a photo doesn't have any artistic value.

Film or digital, you're completely relying on technology and you're environment to create the image you're capturing.

If you want to wave your cock around like you're better than everyone else try hand grinding your pigments,

stretching a canvas that you wove yourself, on a loom you hand built, over wood from a tree you ripped down bare handed,

then paint something on the canvas with brushes you made yourself without even looking at the subject.

Or you could just work on creating better images no matter the medium and put your tiny cock away.

Film is used as a turd polish just like HDR and over saturation/editing.

I can't stand "expired film" shots that are mad boring to begin with but use the expired film effect to hipster spice it up.

It's no worse than making an HDR of a boring ass shot, both are turd polish or crutches at least 80% of the time I see them.

UMAD? if you read my post more carefully next time, maybe you would see my appreciation for digital, but that i hoped more manual was posted.

sure. first i went into the wilderness with camera gear. then the rain broke after 2 days. high pressure had set in. i explored the posible view of the mountain from atop the frozen lava flows. i found a few interesting viewpoints and ate dinner and such. the sky had been clear all day, aside from 1 lenticular that i spotted at about 2pm. when i saw this i knew it was on. as a warm front with moisture was surely approaching my location. I knew if the first cirus clouds cam around sunset i would be set to have the glow of sunset reflect in the clouds while the last hints of alpenglow hit the mountain, but not so late as to not have soft light still hitting the rocks in the foreground. I set my aperture and focus to hold detail throughout the scene then took a light reading, set my shutter speed (i think this is 20-30sec @iso 400 probably) then i set my camer and gorilla tripod upon the rock, fine tuned the composition, set the self timer, and released the shutter.

Once back to civilazation i uploaded the picture to my computer, edited the raw file twice.

in photoshop i removed all my fucking sensor dust and sharpened the image. then i duplicated my base layer, and adjusted curves for the sky. on the base layer i adjust curves for the foreground. then i created a layer mask, selected the defualt gradient paint bucket, and created a single gradiant to blend the two layers visually.

file save as etc