The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

I've heard if you're already skilled at something and get into an academic program for it you tend to get way more out of it than someone with no skills/talent in the same program trying to learn. More as far as connections and opportunities which is way more important IMO than just getting that piece of paper. I really dig your shots and the perspective you share on Chicago aside from the dope aesthetic value. Not that you're asking but I'd transfer in if I were you, not so much for the classes and learning, more or less for the opportunities it might open up as far as grants, gigs, and stuff like that.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
MN i didn't know that you were in photo school... would love to hear your impressions/sentiments on it

not yet thinkin about transferring in this semester. i think its dope especially for people like me who are good at hands on shit. Plus if i could learn some new skills with my camera. a lot of the teachers are young and could easily relate with the students. the class sizes are small and best of all unlimited printing as long as you provide your own the paper!

haven't put up anything in a dog's age. my Rebel XT from 05 was lost in a chase, so I had to replace it. I jumped ship to Nikon and grabbed a D3000 on sale. I would have liked to hold out for a D300, but I'm not really gonna have any extra cash for a while, so I settled for the 3000.

here's a few from my walk home the other night. improvised tripods. mailboxes, ledges, etc. just trying it out.

streetcar.jpg

fortunecookie.jpg

cabs.jpg

Every studio photographer I've met so far uses a cannon (unless they have or rent a hassleblad).

Most journalistic/street/artistic photographers who mainly shoot in natural light use a Nikon.

I tend to like Nikon better because of the low noise at higher ISO's on their full frames which suits my need for ISO's 800 through 3200.

Cannon has been putting out cheaper 21mp for a while now and cheaper glass so in controlled lighting where it can stay at ISO/100 they're better for large prints.

As far as entry level D3000's or the Rebel XSI I still lean towards Nikon because I like the interface better and they feel more rugged like a firearm when you hold them.

I'm pretty sure my next camera will be a D3S (if I have the loot) and I'm also considering a lumix G1 or G2 4/3rds.

Every studio photographer I've met so far uses a cannon (unless they have or rent a hassleblad).

Most journalistic/street/artistic photographers who mainly shoot in natural light use a Nikon.

I tend to like Nikon better because of the low noise at higher ISO's on their full frames which suits my need for ISO's 800 through 3200.

Cannon has been putting out cheaper 21mp for a while now and cheaper glass so in controlled lighting where it can stay at ISO/100 they're better for large prints.

As far as entry level D3000's or the Rebel XSI I still lean towards Nikon because I like the interface better and they feel more rugged like a firearm when you hold them.

I'm pretty sure my next camera will be a D3S (if I have the loot) and I'm also considering a lumix G1 or G2 4/3rds.

I almost always shoot natural light and the Nikon turns out great. Outdoor I get little noise in the dark, but indoor low light I see to get some, even if its a low ISO.

And its taken a beating and survived great.

But does that mean the nikon is necessarily better for street/artistic photography? I'll probably go with the Canon, Ive always been a canon dude.

My main concern is that on canons the colours dont really pop, at least that is my impression from some photos ive seen.

new film shibby. just got a nikon N80

diggin the first one from that batch. and the n80 was my second camera i bought, after an f10 and before my d50. it's a great film camera, took a lot of quality stuff with that guy.

MN1, what school are you thinking about going to? photo school is the reason i'm moving to chicago.

It's just because I was hotlinking 20 photo's or more at a time and it took 2 clicks on photobucket to get all the code.

Not really hotlinking like that anymore though or even uploading mad photo's like that.

I dig the slideshow and other features of flickr much more now though, just lazy/busy.

diggin the first one from that batch. and the n80 was my second camera i bought, after an f10 and before my d50. it's a great film camera, took a lot of quality stuff with that guy.

MN1, what school are you thinking about going to? photo school is the reason i'm moving to chicago.

harrington