The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

I don't shoot bands but I shoot almost exclusively in low light.

Nikon has a few photoshop plugins designed for editing I've found work better at noise reduction than regular Adobe.

Also, selective noise reduction (IE masking off an area and softening the masking edge) works if the noise is more visible in a certain area.

Probably my best advise is dropping $100 for a f1.8 50mm lens and using manual focus @ f/1.8

Takes a while to get used to the manual focusing and lack of zoom but I learned techniques for that with my tilt shift before using that lens.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Not 100% on the d80 but I know the d90 has an internal motor, so the manual focus might not be an issue. a 50mm might be too tight for what your looking for, especially if your used to your 10-24mm. If you're will to spend a little extra money I think the 35mm 1.8 would be a better bet. Not sure what flash unit your shooting with but play around with bouncing your light off the ceiling, or look into a lightsphere or something similar that way you can turn up your flash and not worry about your subject being washed out and super contrasty.

thanks for the advice guys. gotta start saving up for that lightsphere and the nikon 35mm lens for sure. doing manual focus in that kind of setting would be hard though since usually the bands are all over the place while they're playing. i'll have to try those photoshop tips too even though i'm not too savy with photoshop i'll have to buy a book or something.