The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

got a question for you guys.

i don't know jack about photography and its esoteric culture. my wife is a fairly serious photo person, and i want to get her something 'cool'--what, for under $250 would be a cool photo related gift? i don't want to get lenses or camera accessories.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest JohnLester#31

To be honest, If I was given a Polaroid cam as a gift I'd be stoked.

Those photos to me are just so genuine and have more meaning than a digi cam or a fancy shmancy joint. Plus, they discontinued their production, so they're only gonna get harder to find.

If your willing to spend that much, purchase as much film for is as possible too.

For christmas I got my dad some process paid Kodachrome. It's probably the most famous colour film in the world but it's gone out of production due to lack of demand. There's only one place left who develop it now as well. That doesn't come close to your budget but I thought it was a pretty cool present for someone who had never had the chance to use it yet.

Thanks everyone, but those are about all I have left that I like. I found out that two of my favorite shots weren't scanned, but I printed those, so maybe I can scan the prints sometime.

Here are some meh ones.. and different angles of the same object.

4220186544_5ae8b0321b.jpg

4214888569_f9ac861cdd.jpg

4214890087_f207b9fff1.jpg

4213010674_31652104b6.jpg

4212246591_7baeb57319.jpg

4220183846_312e575b1a.jpg

4214868963_f15cf0c15d.jpg

I hate it when I post doubles, so that's the last of them. I should be sending out my ektar 100 to be developed later this week, so hopefully I'll finally have some nice fall pictures.

• Like 1

Do any of you guys have any recommendations for a good camera bag? I want a backpack, preferably that I can fit a lot of other stuff in too (not just camera stuff, I'm not trying to carry 2 bags all the time).

I was attracted to this, the NG 5070 for that reason, but I've heard that the National Geographic bags can be shitty.

NGWAMRS.jpg

http://www.adorama.com/NGWAMRS.html

The internal dividers on the bottom portion of the bag can be removed and rearranged, which is what's appealing to me.

Don't ever buy any camera related equipment with a national geographic logo.

I have the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW, holds a couple lenses, my camera, a tripod, and plenty of room left over for a hoodie and a few cans.

Not cheap though.

Bought it because it's weatherproof and protects my equipment since it's rigid and padded.

I cut the huge hiking belt part off of mine since I'm pretty much in urban areas only and don't hike.

I rock that bag every day sometimes really weighed down with a laptop and gear, comfortable as it gets.

The bag itself is pretty weatherproof and I've never used or needed the all weather thing that covers it.

Also, I have a pretty heavy manfrotto tripod I carry by sticking a leg in one of the side pockets and use the top strap to hold it.

The fold out tripod thing kind of sucks here since it's so crowded everywhere.

The NG stuff is just not up to standards, I wouldn't say it's poor quality considering the discount.

They slap NG logo's on tripods and camera bags that cost more than the shit you could get at walmart but of the same quality.

Not bad for people who go out and shoot 3 or 4 times a year with cheap equipment I guess,

but a waste of money for someone who shoots regularly or wants to protect their gear properly.

question for people that do photography of bands. i want to get better at taking live band photos. i think i'm decent, but can stand to be better. i need some advice though. so right now i have the nikon d80 with a flash and i shoot with a 10-24mm lens. right now i'm shooting at 800 ISO because usually i'm shooting with low lighting, but i don't like how long the camera can take to focus because of the low iight and i'm not a fan of all the noise. i tried noise reduction in lightroom today, but i really can't tell if that makes a huge difference. if anyone has some suggestions that will make my shots better i'd really appreciate it. here's some pics of a show i shot last night and opinions are more than welcomed. thanks.

4260481225_7ac85a8c0b_o.jpg

4260479863_32533f957a_o.jpg

4260479531_5c810dfb9c_o.jpg