The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

From what I've seen and heard here in NYC, the degree itself don't mean much.

However, the connections you'll make in college will definitely open more doors.

Learning a broad range of shooting techniques is also key to finding work.

Plus it helps to get professional advise from instructors on building a portfolio.

Most people I know start as assistants, the ones in highest demand know their lighting.

I know pro assistants that will make more in a year than some of the pro photographers they work for, no shit.

Learning lighting is key to being in demand here in NYC at least, once you start working connections are made.

from those connections you get more work and take it from there.

If anything, at least try to master the in's and outs of professional lighting and knowing the equipment.

Not just fashion photography either, interiors, still life or product photography, hot lights, strobes, everything.

Thank god I have a good job because I don't know shit and would have to hire one of these guys myself if I landed a big job somehow.

That just covers what I've seen in the photography industry here, fine art photography is an entirely different beast.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I agree with everything Mercer said. A year ago I had never used lighting and now I can do that splash shot. The degree doesn't mean shit but the knowledge and connections are key. My instructors are all shooting professionally and most are very picky and won't settle for mediocre. I have to re-shoot all the time. Also techniques you pick up in the amount of time them up is clutch. Instead of figuring out how to do something, it is demoed for you, and you can play from there. Lighting is expensive and so are studios, v-flats, modifiers, flags, clamps, stands.... all that takes time to aquire. But if you have them readily available you can bang out a concept withuot spending thousands of dollars. Pretty nice while still learning. Workflow is also something that needs to be done correctly, just to save time and not lose files. I strongly suggest school just make sure you are impressed with what is being produced there. My class started with 12 and 6 have dropped within the first year. Intense program=good work. That also weeds out the people that don't have the drive and passion. Which helps when you are surrounded by creative driven people.

my 2 cents

im really new to photographybut here are some pics I've been taking recently with my Fujifilm S1500.

its a decent cam but i wanna move up to something better, maybe a Nikon d40 or something

i particularly like this one the best.

blackandwhite.jpg

DSCF1145.jpg

DSCF1118.jpg

DSCF2667.jpg

Guest JohnLester#31

Don't be so picky dude,

you do have an audience.

Unless you live deep country side, take a walk, some nice colors out, its fuckin fall!

Been slackin lately too though

heres a few:

IMG_4090edit.png

IMG_4091edit.png

IMG_4095edit.png

Oh_snap.....this Crowns for you

4080117306_52c6811960.jpg

Only speedlights. 3 SB-800's 1/32 power, f 5.6 ISO400 250th of a sec

A lotta work to do but was stoked in this one! Crits please. My instructors will rip me a new one, no worries.

dude, this turned out awesome. really impressed you only used speedlights on it.

The main reason I chose the 700 over the 5D mkII's 21mp size was High ISO performance.

Ive used the 5D MK II many times, and it is very impressive at high ISO. At 1200 I saw no grain. Will post examples when I get my hard drive back. Dont get me wrong, I love the new Nikons. Waiting for my D200 to take a dump before I get one... the prices for the new full frame lenses are outrageous tho.

Most people I know start as assistants, the ones in highest demand know their lighting.

I know pro assistants that will make more in a year than some of the pro photographers they work for, no shit.

Learning lighting is key to being in demand here in NYC at least, once you start working connections are made.

from those connections you get more work and take it from there.

Do you assist? If so, whom? Maybe we have worked together.

Yankees Ticker Tape Parade. Not many flicks, couldnt get that close.

4090506867_e9e6939bfb_b.jpg

No, I don't assist and don't know anything about lighting, or much about my own camera for that matter.

I still cant use aperture control or full auto very well, besides, my goal is getting really good at taking shitty photo's.

I was 3 blocks from city hall for that along with thousands of people who got blocked by police barricades.

That is a really cool shot though, the parade should have started uptown somewhere down to city hall,

not from battery park up, most of the people who came down for it missed it.

I only noticed the ghostly hands and face in this one on second viewing. Good stuff!

nice man.. props.

Thanks, I wasn't really being serious with the camera since I'm trying to be high and mighty, using only film, but it was a lot of fun using long exposures. I've been hesitant to try anything longer then a second on my minolta because I haven't had much luck keeping it still. I did try night time photos for about 2 minutes, but I had to use a table, and keep the button pressed the whole time so I have no idea how they turned out. My job training starts in one week and I have nearly six rolls to develop, so hopefully I have some nice photos to post fairly soon.

I like the 1st and 3rd jon lester. The third is a little over exposed, but it gives it a nice feel. I don't know where you are, but the leaves are all gone and it's below freezing at night where I am.

No, I don't assist and don't know anything about lighting, or much about my own camera for that matter.

I still cant use aperture control or full auto very well, besides, my goal is getting really good at taking shitty photo's.

I was 3 blocks from city hall for that along with thousands of people who got blocked by police barricades.

That is a really cool shot though, the parade should have started uptown somewhere down to city hall,

not from battery park up, most of the people who came down for it missed it.

If you ever have any questions about your camera feel free to pm me. I wouldnt use it on full auto if you have a Nikon. Pretty useless setting. Try and shoot in manual, I usually meter off the streets cement, (if im by one and dont have my light meter) the grey of the cement isnt too far off from a grey card and you can usually get a pretty accurate reading if the subject you are shooting has the same lighting as the street. I agree about the parade, it was fukn nutts. They need to extend it a little bit so its not so pinched. Did you get any flicks at the parade?

does anyone kno if a matsui if worth buying. i was wondering through my local thrift store and noticed this camera. its only like $15. and wondering if its worth it.

If you cant find any info about this camera (I know nothing about it) just pick up a pentax k1000. They are really cheap on ebay and can always find lenses at garage sales. Out of my 4 SLR's its my favorite.