The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Haha alright. I didn't really like the original, so I tried to make it better, but it seems like it didn't work.

If you want to try to fix it with a little editing (all stuff that could be done in a darkroom too), i'd say darken it up a tad and bump up the contrast a little bit. Right now its slightly over exposed, though nothing that isn't fixable. As it stands now it's kind of a sea of washed out light greys. No actual blacks and even what should be darker greys are looking washed out. The two crops you posted just highlight the problem.

No offense meant at all, but a bunch of your pictures you have posted seem to be a touch over exposed. I know you're learning the ropes, and we've all been there, so my recommendation to you would be to carry a little notepad of some sort with you when you're shooting and shoot each picture 2 or 3 times. Shoot it once as you think it should be metered, once a step higher and once a step lower, and write down the settings for each. Then when you get them back, take a look through them and start trying to remember what sort of lighting situations you're going to want to adjust your aperture and shutter speed in for future photos. It may sound like a pain in the ass to bracket, but in the long run it'll help you out a lot. Plus, it sucks to have a great photo opportunity and then when you get it back, it didn't turn out how you had hoped.

Also, just curious as to what speed film you're shooting with?

Actually, I would like an opinion on cropping. I usually try not to do anything except resize in photoshop, but this picture needed to be cropped, and I'm not sure which is better.

Original

3688907018_58f647a6a7_o.jpg

All I would do to it would be to darken it up a little bit and crop whatever that was in the bottom right corner out. I'm no photographer though.

edit - like others have said

3688907018_58f647a6a7_o-1.jpg

Mn1, those two are dope.

Fuck fireworks.

Brought my 16-35 and my 70-200 was what I needed.

W/E i'll post up some long exposures of the pre fireworks that were rad.

Being drunk didn't help either.

Yep. It was boring in general though. I left halfway through

I used a tilt shift and tripod as usual and caught some bangers of NYC's 400th bday special last night.

Macy's moved it to the Hudson river this year and millions of out of towners showed up, all most as bad as new years.

I also hung out with some crazy photogs from Italy later at the bar afterwards.

One of them sold a picture of beyonce to playboy recently and they are always on some celebrity shoots.

I think they were famous or whatever and I might get to work with them drawing storyboards and assisting (lugging around heavy shit since I don't know nothing about protography)

One of my boys works for them off and on already and learned alot just assisting them.

After the bar I smoked a little then roamed solo with a tripod around midtown till morning.

Crazy night, deleted anything I didn't like alot and still came out with 200+

I usually only get around 50 a night in verification mode not deleting anything.

• Like 1

I also hung out with some crazy photogs from Italy later at the bar afterwards.

One of them sold a picture of beyonce to playboy recently and they are always on some celebrity shoots.

I think they were famous or whatever and I might get to work with them drawing storyboards and assisting (lugging around heavy shit since I don't know nothing about protography)

One of my boys works for them off and on already and learned alot just assisting them.

who were the photographers? i worked assisted a italian catalog photographer in nyc a few times.

who were the photographers? i worked assisted a italian catalog photographer in nyc a few times.

I'm not sure, the only name I remembered was Fabio because of the I can't believe it's not butter dude.

The other dude was supposedly the main dude behind the shutter, if my computer worked I'd upload pics of them.

They work in NYC alot though and both are around thier 30's.

It was funny, the one dude called Fabio zoolander joking around.

I guess a while back Fabio couldn't get a work visa to work in the US.

So they photoshopped his dudes face over all these magazine covers to make it look like he was a model.

So if those are the dudes you worked with you'd probably know that story.

If you want to try to fix it with a little editing (all stuff that could be done in a darkroom too), i'd say darken it up a tad and bump up the contrast a little bit. Right now its slightly over exposed, though nothing that isn't fixable. As it stands now it's kind of a sea of washed out light greys. No actual blacks and even what should be darker greys are looking washed out. The two crops you posted just highlight the problem.

No offense meant at all, but a bunch of your pictures you have posted seem to be a touch over exposed. I know you're learning the ropes, and we've all been there, so my recommendation to you would be to carry a little notepad of some sort with you when you're shooting and shoot each picture 2 or 3 times. Shoot it once as you think it should be metered, once a step higher and once a step lower, and write down the settings for each. Then when you get them back, take a look through them and start trying to remember what sort of lighting situations you're going to want to adjust your aperture and shutter speed in for future photos. It may sound like a pain in the ass to bracket, but in the long run it'll help you out a lot. Plus, it sucks to have a great photo opportunity and then when you get it back, it didn't turn out how you had hoped.

Also, just curious as to what speed film you're shooting with?

I see what you're saying, so I tried to darken it up a bit and this is what I came up with:

3699422150_57ce52b55d_o.jpg

Still not the best photo, but whatever.

I tried when I first got the camera to take multiple pictures and write all the info down, but the place I get the photos developed doesn't keep anything in order. But now that I understand more about exposure, I would be able to tell differentiate the stops. Money was also a problem so I was just hoping I'd get lucky. But now that you said they're overexposed, I guess I learned a bad habit.

The black and white is 400CN, and the earlier colors ones were 200 or 400.

im cool with it down the line when i make some more money ill buy myself a hasselblad

got it off craigslist from some guy triyin to get rid of it because he bought a nikon d300. he took less the 2000 flicks with the d80 and had it sitting in the original box for 6 months. So it think it was a steal even though im broke as fuck now