The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

^^^ You're not alone.

10-15-06a.jpg

Lower Falls End - Vertical 28mm f/16 1/250s Ilford Delta 400

10-15-06b.jpg

Here We Have The Elusive Mack Truck - Vertical 28mm f/5.6 1/500s Red 29 Filter Ilford Delta 400

10-15-06c.jpg

Mack - Close Up 28mm f/16 1/500s Yellow 8 Filter Ilford Delta 400

Sneak, I love that mirror shot.

Jibbers, that goose thing freaks me out for some reason.

I need to stop holding my camera on a tilt. I have a Jeremy Beadle hand I think.

Here is the introduction of borders into my work. Even though they are wonky, but you

get the jist...

contrast1bn0.jpg

contrast2iz1.jpg

And here are some victorian style photos I tried to create...Which are also tilted...

victorian1xa9.jpg

victorian2ws7.jpg

Criticism please :)

Graham, I checked out your site and I like your stuff a bunch.

I'm not a fan of this though:

""I look at small beautiful details

and find the human interaction and communication

that take place while creating that photo...

which to me is the essence of photography."

- Graham Walzer"

why not? a little pretentious? artfaggish? emo?

j/k

Yeah, I really dislike it when photographers do that. I've read other people's things that are like "Have you ever wanted to capture a moment to charish forever? That is what I do...blahblabl" and it's just really pretentious. I would never do that because I know that most people don't really look at a photo and think its a peice of art, they just look at the subject, and maybe if it's distinctly clear and sharp they'll think its a really nice camera. I'd prefer to let the images speak for themselves, if you like them, you do; if you don't give a shit about them, you don't.

yeah, i agree... for one, it's also arrogant and pretentious to quote yourself and put it on your own page, like you believe you're some kind of a profound philosopher. you leave quoting of yourself for others to do.

that said, i do think there is *some* talent and skill, art, and creativity in taking a photograph -- i mean, if you had 5 people take a picture of the same subject all 5 would come out different, some would be better than others, etc. -- a lot IMHO has to do that person with having an intuition of his environment in getting the right shot/perspective/angle, etc.

but i don't think taking photos takes nearly as much skill as painting something or drawing or spraypainting a nice piece or playing a musical instrument

Yeah, I also thought it was wack to quote himself on his own page for that reason...still though I like your work, Ride a bike, and I am saying this with all due respect.

Anyway, I don't think that you should say that photography only requires "some" skill. That sounds like you just haven't familiarized yourself with enough of it. It is an artform equivilant to any of the things you mentioned.

Think about this: someone who doesn't know shit about graffiti might say that it all looks the same and that it doesn't require skill, you just take letters and twist them aroudn and shit. Or they might say that anyone can rap, its just talking to a beat.

1.jpg

Pleasant & Franklin 28mm f/22 1/2s Kodak Ektachrome E100 VS

5.jpg

North Clinton - White Car 28mm f/22 1/2s Kodak Ektachrome E100 VS

10-19-06-2b.jpg

Honeycomb 18mm f/3.5 1/2s Nikon D200 ISO 100

10-19-06-2d.jpg

Wall Foliage 46mm f/4.5 1/2s Nikon D200 ISO 100

10-20-06a.jpg

Tree Light From Road 28mm f/8 1/500s Red 29 Filter Ilford Delta 400

10-20-06b.jpg

BSG Limited 28mm f/16 1/500s Yellow 8 Filter Ilford Delta 400

Yeah, I also thought it was wack to quote himself on his own page for that reason...still though I like your work, Ride a bike, and I am saying this with all due respect.

Anyway, I don't think that you should say that photography only requires "some" skill. That sounds like you just haven't familiarized yourself with enough of it. It is an artform equivilant to any of the things you mentioned.

Think about this: someone who doesn't know shit about graffiti might say that it all looks the same and that it doesn't require skill, you just take letters and twist them aroudn and shit. Or they might say that anyone can rap, its just talking to a beat.

I enjoy photography. I give skilled photographers all the credit in the world. I have seen some powerful photographic images. However, I don't feel that Photography is at the same level as painting, and it never will be. A photograph lacks physicality. You don';t have the same barriers w/ a paining as you do with a photo.

Mmm no...you don't have the same barriers..you have different barriers. This is why different artforms are all as respectable as eachother in their own ways. Its pointless to debate but just think about what goes into making a photo, in terms of technicality and in terms of taking a scene and turning it into a message or story..etc, and what goes into a painting..Frankly its pretty stupid to denounce one totally different artform as requiring less skill or whatever, its just an unreasonable comparison.

Mmm no...you don't have the same barriers..you have different barriers. This is why different artforms are all as respectable as eachother in their own ways. Its pointless to debate but just think about what goes into making a photo, in terms of technicality and in terms of taking a scene and turning it into a message or story..etc, and what goes into a painting..Frankly its pretty stupid to denounce one totally different artform as requiring less skill or whatever, its just an unreasonable comparison.

I didn't denounce the art form, I just don't think it is at the level of painting or even sculpture.

I like the last 3 images. Especially the curved gaurd rail.