The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by shirkone+Jan 9 2006, 06:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shirkone - Jan 9 2006, 06:55 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin--Rage-@Jan 6 2006, 05:45 PM

PancakesSMALL.jpg

BryanSMALL.jpg

Can anyone give me an idea of how to draw with light? I've tried so many times but I can't draw long lines. Might just be my shit camera though.

[/b]

same here shirkone, everytime i try the lines come out too short, suggestions and help please

jessicat- i have almost the same pictures of that geometric building. what is your deal??

the candels, i liek that a lot, but it would be nice with a longer exposure.

the last one of the building, really sick. bravo.

how did you get your borders?

cekone- i like your selective focus, but it would have been cool to focus on that black object or somthing out of the ordinary. IMO. what do you mean your "photo place ruined..."?

ckit- really nice, digital? that would be nice blow up way huge, with tons of detail.

philth215- water loooks good. "clean" someone else said. on point.

Originally posted by la creme de la seme+Jan 9 2006, 09:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (la creme de la seme - Jan 9 2006, 09:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by shirkone@Jan 9 2006, 06:55 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--Rage-@Jan 6 2006, 05:45 PM

PancakesSMALL.jpg

BryanSMALL.jpg

Can anyone give me an idea of how to draw with light? I've tried so many times but I can't draw long lines. Might just be my shit camera though.

same here shirkone, everytime i try the lines come out too short, suggestions and help please

[/b]

You just need a longer shutter speed.

A 'Bulb' setting is best.

What are you guys working with?

I was going to type the long-exposure help but got lazy. Now that I've got a healthy 60oz of coffee in me, let's go:

Bare minimum tools:

1. Tripod (or something that'll securely hold your camera)

2. Camera with adjustable shutter speed

3. Shutter release cable/remote with lock

4. Light source

5. Dark.

Like Rage said, use the "bulb" (or B) setting on your camera. ost SLRs will have this--even the low-end ones. Set your camera up on the tripod with the release cable screwed in and ready to go. Lights off (or fairly low), press the release and lock it down. Get busy with your light in front of the lens. When your done, release the shutter. Voila.

By using the bulb setting, you're simply leaving the shutter wide open. The "long" lines are more an indication of shutter speed than anything else. Your "short" lines are simply too fast of a shutter. Break it down: long exposure=long lines.

That's the quick and dirty version. Try a google search for "long exposure" +"light trails" or something like that... I think KenRockwell.com probably has something.

Unfortunately, this technique is pretty lame 99% of the time. Rage is probably the only one putting it to good and interesting use when it comes to straight lettering. Don't think that technique alone will make a good image...

Originally posted by thecarwreck@Jan 10 2006, 01:07 PM

Unfortunately, this technique is pretty lame 99% of the time. 

Rage is probably the only one putting it to good and interesting use when it comes to straight lettering. 

Don't think that technique alone will make a good image...

I agree, but it's always nice to see what other people do with it.

I forget who, but someone on here posted a night time exposure and used a light to outline the campsite.

I thought that was cool.

Outlining things is probably better than writing your name in the air.

Thing is, I get paid to do it on Polaroid film.

That and it's Polaroids, so it's not just some digital image, no offense to anyone.

Originally posted by dear sas@Jan 10 2006, 02:03 AM

jessicat- i have almost the same pictures of that geometric building. what is your deal??

cekone- i like your selective focus, but it would have been cool to focus on that black object or somthing out of the ordinary. IMO. what do you mean your "photo place ruined..."?

ckit- really nice, digital? that would be nice blow up way huge, with tons of detail.

philth215- water loooks good. "clean" someone else said. on point.

yea i was just messing around, i dunno what that black thing was but if you look closer at that picture you can see little bacteria-looking things, thats one of the photo techs fingerprints. it was on the emulsion side of the negitative so it wont come out

ill post more flicks later

DEAR SAD... THE GETTY IS LIKE THE THIRD MOST VISITED ATTRACTION IN LOS ANGELES. WITH STATS LIKE THOSE IT'S HARD TO GET AWAY WITH AN ORIGINAL SHOT...GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE....

THANKS OTHERWISE. JUST A HOBBIE.