The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

Originally posted by JJC+Nov 13 2005, 02:21 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JJC - Nov 13 2005, 02:21 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-MrJackDaniels@Nov 12 2005, 08:42 PM

easy people..

been clocking this thread for a long time now, and have finally got my arse into gear with taking better pictures but i have a quick question..

when using a basic 35ml slr what apparature number would i use to acheive a photo where the objects in the foreground are clear while the background is blurred?

cheers

It's not really so much as foreground and background as it is a plane of focus. think of a picture as a rectangular box (or cube, if you're shooting 6x6). Well the in-focus part will be a slice of it. The larger the aperture, the thinner the in-focus area.

The larger your aperture, the more blurred the background will be. Sharpness of the infocus area will vary depending on your lens. Which lens' are you using?

[/b]

and just in case you arent familiar with aperture. larger means f1.8, 2.8, 4, not f16, 22.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by turnyourback@Nov 13 2005, 04:43 PM

taken with a minolta maxxum 5000.

not sure how i feel about it yet.

it's got potential but it's a little flat... punch the contrast and colors up maybe. i'd even crop the left side to her shoulder and the right to take a bit of the building out... so it's almost square. just my $0.02 though.

Originally posted by dear sas@Nov 13 2005, 05:36 PM

can anyone explain to me how to make a simple border on photoshop. i know photoshop kinda well and i feel really retarded not knowing this. i guess i could just create a shape and cut out of it...iono.

haha, i have the same problem as you. insight would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by thecarwreck+Nov 13 2005, 05:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thecarwreck - Nov 13 2005, 05:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-turnyourback@Nov 13 2005, 04:43 PM

taken with a minolta maxxum 5000.

not sure how i feel about it yet.

it's got potential but it's a little flat... punch the contrast and colors up maybe. i'd even crop the left side to her shoulder and the right to take a bit of the building out... so it's almost square. just my $0.02 though.

[/b]

i agree with you that the picture is relatively flat. there's something missing.

thanks a lot for the suggestion. i definitely see where youre coming from, i think cropping it would make it look nicer.

Originally posted by Ckit+Nov 13 2005, 06:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ckit - Nov 13 2005, 06:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by JJC@Nov 13 2005, 02:21 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-MrJackDaniels@Nov 12 2005, 08:42 PM

easy people..

been clocking this thread for a long time now, and have finally got my arse into gear with taking better pictures but i have a quick question..

when using a basic 35ml slr what apparature number would i use to acheive a photo where the objects in the foreground are clear while the background is blurred?

cheers

It's not really so much as foreground and background as it is a plane of focus. think of a picture as a rectangular box (or cube, if you're shooting 6x6). Well the in-focus part will be a slice of it. The larger the aperture, the thinner the in-focus area.

The larger your aperture, the more blurred the background will be. Sharpness of the infocus area will vary depending on your lens. Which lens' are you using?

and just in case you arent familiar with aperture. larger means f1.8, 2.8, 4, not f16, 22.

[/b]

thanks very much guys, much appreciated.

hopefully one day ill be able to show you what ive taken - im new to the game and am just being taught how to develop and print my negs, sometimes it gets a bit confusing!

Originally posted by dear sas@Nov 13 2005, 05:36 PM

can anyone explain to me how to make a simple border on photoshop. i know photoshop kinda well and i feel really retarded not knowing this. i guess i could just create a shape and cut out of it...iono.

forget all that shape crap. the easiest way to add borders in photoshop is by resizing your canvas to a fraction of an inch (of a few pixels) larger than your image.

IMAGE>CANVAS SIZE

just make sure your background color is whatever color you want the border to be.

*edit. page 125, you sluts.

fellas

need a favour..

doing a project in college on figurative ceramics and need to have photos of people standin in places like shops, public areas, pubs, clubs, cafes, at bus stops/train stations, aerports, parks....

if anyone has anythin can they post them up to i cans use the link to this page as research

thanks lads

Orange !!!!

November05069.jpg

This can went nuts on me, the seal is old and broken ... so I had tried to move the paint to another can ... in the attachment to the other can a buinch shot out into my warm water bucket and coated the can when I removed it from the water. I have been meaning to do something with it.

November05062.jpg

November05065.jpg

November05082.jpg

rage- the 2nd and 3rd pictures--nice. i espcially like the one of the light streaming down on the plant. very nice natural light. you should try kicking up some dust to see if that hightens the effect.

phunk- the last one of the trees, i think?, in black and white, super nice. really like the motion and blur of it

jbrsh- sick ass landscape. mas por favor

enrenzino- i really like that last, semi studio one. I think it would look really great if used that same lighting and did a macroshot going up the can. but really good stuff

Originally posted by thecarwreck+Nov 14 2005, 06:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thecarwreck - Nov 14 2005, 06:58 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-dear sas@Nov 13 2005, 05:36 PM

forget all that shape crap. the easiest way to add borders in photoshop is by resizing your canvas to a fraction of an inch (of a few pixels) larger than your image.

IMAGE>CANVAS SIZE

just make sure your background color is whatever color you want the border to be.

*edit. page 125, you sluts.

[/b]

create a new layer above the one your image is in then ctrl + a, since it's empty it will select up to the border, then edit> stroke... menu window comes up... then for width select the number of pixels you want the border to be (I chose 2 px), then select inside for location... also you can choose the color there... btw I'm using Photoshop V. 8.0 (remember since its on top it will cover the width of the border from your image, but what the hell do 2 px matter anyway huh?)

that's how I got this border, I think that's what your talking about huh?

IMG_0490.jpg

by the way to everyone that posts in this thread, I usually come in here every few days and see the latest posts, alot of you know a great deal... I'm just a point and shoot digital person, but one day.... one day...

I took that flick with this new digi I got, Canon Powershot S2 IS

great pictures :king:

haha-nice!

thanks for the kind words poiesis. you just gotta look around for cheap shit, or just ask photo stores if they have expired film. they will be more than happy to get rid of em for a couple bucks..

rage- had a question regarding expired 665, you used any of that? i havent had much luck, everything is seriously dark. that photo of the tree up there, it's like 15 or so exposures. that seems to be the only way to get any image on, i even did like 5 14second exposures on one try and got jack shit. any ideas or is it just the luck of the expired film draw?

also, anyone form denver in here, i'll be there this weekend.

hollercopter