The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by POIESIS@Nov 8 2005, 01:37 PM

so what's the surrounding area like? ... also, that thing would make a fucking spectacular transformer robot.

i had a big answer all typed up earlier but my shit froze up for some reason.

anyway, bethlehem is actually a real city, about 45 miles NW from philadelphia. it's not a metroplis, but it's not tiny. the steel is smack in the middle of the south side of the city (the working-class side), while the north side is full of 'cute', 'eclectic boutiques'... shit like that.

bethlehem.jpg

that's the steel all down the left. a good 40% has already been torn down so that should give you some idea of how big it was/is. bethlehem itself is pretty much in the pic... but it goes beyond the right edge of the frame for another 5 miles at least.

if anyone's in the area and looking to get a tour, PM me. for real, i should charge $25 for insider's guides... ;)

Here's an aerial view from Google maps.

I highlighted in green what carwreck and I walked through.

SteelWalk.jpg

As you can see, we barely covered any of it.

(Note: the map is slightly outdated and some of those buildings, mostly the smaller independent ones, are demolished)

I'd love to go again, with just a 35mm and my digital.

I can't carry that fucking 20 lb. backpack again frull of Polaroids.

easy people..

been clocking this thread for a long time now, and have finally got my arse into gear with taking better pictures but i have a quick question..

when using a basic 35ml slr what apparature number would i use to acheive a photo where the objects in the foreground are clear while the background is blurred?

cheers

easy people..

been clocking this thread for a long time now, and have finally got my arse into gear with taking better pictures but i have a quick question..

when using a basic 35ml slr what apparature number would i use to acheive a photo where the objects in the foreground are clear while the background is blurred?

cheers

Originally posted by MrJackDaniels@Nov 12 2005, 08:42 PM

easy people..

cheers

It's not really so much as foreground and background as it is a plane of focus. think of a picture as a rectangular box (or cube, if you're shooting 6x6). Well the in-focus part will be a slice of it. The larger the aperture, the thinner the in-focus area.

The larger your aperture, the more blurred the background will be. Sharpness of the infocus area will vary depending on your lens. Which lens' are you using?