The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Pfffffffffft+Mar 17 2006, 01:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pfffffffffft - Mar 17 2006, 01:19 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin--Rage-@Mar 16 2006, 11:53 AM

It's been a minute.

3-16-06-2a.jpg

whats going on in this picture??

[/b]

Sorry for my slowness.

This was taken in February 2003 at the San Francisco Anti-War Rally.

There was a small unpermited march down Market Street right in front of the hotel I was staying at.

I got about 40+ photos of the confrontaion with the police and protestors.

Fun.

decu, I'm glad you like the Polaroid camera. Let me know if you need any help.

Some more...

3-18-06a.jpg

*excuse the watermark

DougSMALL.jpg

Digital...

3.jpg

11.jpg

15.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

Print.

3-23-06a.jpg

3-23-06b.jpg

3-23-06c.jpg

Gawdang! This thread's so rad. There's so many hot photos since I clicked on here last...

Yeah, I've seen photos on here recently I'd be down to trade for. For folks who're shooting

digi or have access to a scanner prints via mail like mpix.com are cheap, archival, availible

in/

lots of sizes...

KTO8- You've got some great portraits. I agree that Ms.HelloKitty is most compelling, but the

chick & dumpster and the air conditioner & straw hat guy are pretty interesting too. Got more?

jbrsh- those misc. photos are all hot, the marble preist and car crash especially. Also, the

corpse-man above the commuter train door is surreal, and sweet. and yes, yes jeff soto is

very nasty. I just got my first Juxtapoz in the mail today since my old subscription ran out

last summer- that mag is always so fresh.

dear sas- nice studio shots, technically speaking, though they dont hold my attention after the

2 second check-out-the-girl moment. thanks for the feedback- i wasnt intentionally trying to

portray a lifestyle, though I'm pleased they come across as cohesive. I take photos of what I

see as interesting moments and so I suppose the photos I take are pretty reflective of my interests.

On that note, what's up with all the interest in walls and flat architecutre? Seems like lots of

posts are trying really hard to find design elements & beauty in really,really mundane &

familiar settings. Like that kid in American Beauty filming the bag in the wind. I mean,

sometimes they work, like

brickisred.jpg

but others end up still being pretty damn boring. A flat,unadorned wall doesn't command my

interest when I walk by, so why does it become interesting when framed with a photo border?

Originally posted by stratodab@Mar 23 2006, 07:39 PM

On that note, what's up with all the interest in walls and flat architecutre? Seems like lots of

posts are trying really hard to find design elements & beauty in really,really mundane &

familiar settings. Like that kid in American Beauty filming the bag in the wind. I mean,

sometimes they work,but others end up still being pretty damn boring. A flat,unadorned wall doesn't command my interest when I walk by, so why does it become interesting when framed with a photo border?

"It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seeeeeeeeeeeen." :haha:

I think we touched on this a few (dozen) pages ago, but you're right. Unless it's done "correctly," whatever that may mean, the shots of, essentially, nothing can get tired. I think a lot of it has to do with the appreciation people have for open space that comes from, in many cases on the board, writing and painting. Of course, like anything else, trying to convey what you see in the wall is the hardest part and, unfortunately, least likely to be successful. For every "good" image of a wall I shoot, there are probably 50 that have nothing interesting to say. I think a lot of younger, more inexperienced photogs (not that I'm all skills or anything) see the good "empty" shots of "nothing" and say "That's photography? Well shit, I could do that!". Then you get a load of unsuccessful images that, thanks to wholly innocent ignorance, suck. The whole "toy" metaphor carries over to here as well.

Then again, people may just be boring.

Originally posted by Ckit@Mar 23 2006, 10:32 PM

sas, where are you at in LA? im always down to shooooot. send me a pm.

and alsoo, for any LA heads looking for a good photo day. Tomorrow, at 10AM at olympic and broadway there is going to be a HUUUUUGE march/protest for immigrant rights, among other things.

i think it will go till about 1pm or so?

Originally posted by The Insider@Mar 26 2006, 12:15 AM

Whoa, sorry for the picture sizes, didnt know they were gonna be that big, i dont know how to re size, if anyone does, please fill me in so that doesnt happen again

noticed your into philly hardcore, you arent going to the *** show on tuesday by any chance are you??

The last two pages of this thread are crazy good.

Finally took my camera out yesterday. Only three shots of the same building

but I like the way they came out.

bldg15nd.jpg

bldg23fr.jpg

bldg31fn.jpg

Do people here use tripods? I'm thinking I might

need to start using one soon for my outdoor stuff.

Any suggestions or recommendations for a good, portable tripod?

thanks ODS-1.

ourladyqueenofsorrows: i agree with issac brock, your focus isnt very clear but the second one is pretty dope, i like the color's. as for the others, try to find a main focus point and componsate eather side with something very busy and then something empty too balance the pictures composition. also when taking a shot try not too include something in the back round that will take a way from the focus, for example, cars are a big distraction, unless the car is a focus. but try not too distract from the focus. Overall nice work. keep shooting. and keep posting

i will post some more later on.