The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I haven't taken any pictures of people lately, but from past experience you can pretty much go up to anyone and ask them if you can take their picture, and they'll let you do it. If you don't want them posed, just take it anyway like 8onus said. Rarely will anyone care. If your camera equipment looks large and professional enough they usually end up thinking you're working for the paper. People used to think I was working for a magazine at one point when all I was using was a Sony F707.

i guess it's just about saying 'fuck it, i'm asking this dude'... still, that's weird for me. i shoot for a paper now so maybe i can fuck with that, i'd rather use press credentials as an excuse to trespass though. ha.

seriously, we need to have weekly 12oz assignments or something. pick a subject and everyone has a week to shoot and post. like art school but less expensive (and pretentious)...

Originally posted by thecarwreck@Oct 21 2005, 10:02 AM

i guess it's just about saying 'fuck it, i'm asking this dude'... still, that's weird for me. i shoot for a paper now so maybe i can fuck with that, i'd rather use press credentials as an excuse to trespass though. ha.

seriously, we need to have weekly 12oz assignments or something. pick a subject and everyone has a week to shoot and post. like art school but less expensive (and pretentious)...

hahaha, that's exactly what I tell myself. just saying 'fuck it' worked pretty well for me. muttering those magic words built up courage when I started.

Originally posted by thecarwreck@Oct 21 2005, 10:02 AM

yeah we should do this..

this is similar, me and a guy i work with have been doing this but i've been slacking.

http://www.photofriday.com/challenges.php

new topic every friday..

lets rip this off and do it here..

Originally posted by -Rage-@Oct 21 2005, 10:23 AM

I'm not a fan of taking photos of people I don't know.

I guess I just try to respect their privacy.

My shots of the poor and the unfortunate- I asked for consent. That way, I acknowledge them, and they me. I either walk up and ask, or I raise my camera and give a 'may I?' look. If they nod, smile, I will take a frame or 6. If they say no, then I won't. And I'll always be at the 50, 80, or 85 mm end of my lens'. I never take 200mm candids, or do it very discreetly, or take it from a moving car as I know some people do, I think it's cowardly and unethical. As for the yuppies walking down broadway or whatever, well..

fuck them, i'm narcissistic enough to believe that if i don't give a shit if i show up on someone elses film they shouldn't either. just my opinion.

Originally posted by TROUBLE OVER BRIDGWATER@Oct 21 2005, 04:02 PM

I was using a crappy digital camera that doesn't have varying shutter speeds as far as I know. It belongs to a friend, when it came out sometime back in the Neolithic period I think it was marketed at the 'point and shoot' customer.

I didn't even think of that.

I'm so used to my new(er) digital camera that I forgot what it was like to have an old piece of shit digital.

I used to have one of those boxy looking Sony's that uses the 3.5" disks.

Didn't have any options at all.

I'm rolling with a Nikon CoolPix 8700 now.

...When I'm not lugging around like 10 Polaroid cameras though.

as for the assignments or whatever, i'm on http://www.dpchallenge.com/ .. some damn good stuff on there, so i doubt ill ever win, but it does make you think of different shots that arent so cliche.. if we got enough people interested i'll set up a thread with a subject for the week (alright, so i'll probably rip it off of another site).. and we can have people vote each week..

so uh, let me know if you think this is a good idea..

and just for good measure..

IMG_2305.jpg