The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
15 hours ago, GnomeToys said:

I like the bottles.   Are you processing your own film or sending it out?  I've got a bunch of Velvia 120 / 220 I shot a while ago still and don't want to pay $10 a roll to get done, thinking about one of those new-ish E6 kits...

Thanks, man. And nah, I take them to a local camera shop downtown and they process them right there for cheap. I don’t think I’d have the time to do it myself. But yeah, do whatever feels right and post the negatives here!

During the Perseid meteor showers I had two cameras running on interval timers to try to get a time lapse video but it was kinda pointless in the end since I only caught two meteors doing that...   but of course when I went outside to check the cameras and took a random landscape shot one shows up (top center).

meteor.thumb.jpg.fc5a36dc90930ac74a7e21d91d575bd0.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got two females traveling to AZ in Oct. (1 from Malibu, the other from upstate New York) that want me to photograph them nude.  We'll see if it actually happens. Got some other inquiries to do engagement and possibly a wedding.  Told them of my hesitation and absolute lack of experience--said they didn't care and to just do my thing.  Maybe this will be break through year.  We'll see.....

DSCF5435-Edit-2.jpg

• Props 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spend a bit of time shooting freights passing through my area and I've found a spot where with the right equipment  I can chill on one side and if required could have a camera set up on the other side to catch the back side.

Wondering if there were any cameras that people knew of that could be set to take a burst of photos continuously for up to 90 seconds while maintaining quality? Trains are going pretty fast by this point

Or is shooting video my only option and then taking stills from that?

Next point is I need a bluetooth or radio control to set it off since I'm not about to dash across the tracks in front of it once I've pressed the button.

I suspect it exists but pricey enough that you might not leave it unattended while a mile long train goes past if you can't see it.

17 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

I spend a bit of time shooting freights passing through my area and I've found a spot where with the right equipment  I can chill on one side and if required could have a camera set up on the other side to catch the back side.

Wondering if there were any cameras that people knew of that could be set to take a burst of photos continuously for up to 90 seconds while maintaining quality? Trains are going pretty fast by this point

Or is shooting video my only option and then taking stills from that?

Next point is I need a bluetooth or radio control to set it off since I'm not about to dash across the tracks in front of it once I've pressed the button.

I suspect it exists but pricey enough that you might not leave it unattended while a mile long train goes past if you can't see it.

More than one possible solution here.  Met one guy who does freight videos and saw he uses a gopro mounted to various bridge beams and other shit along the tracks to catch the other side.  Never fucked with one but assume that's taking video.  This was at a very active location with a lot of slow moving freights so not sure if he set it running and walked away or if he had a remote to start/stop it.

Your other option is to learn your line and where you can catch that other side.  This is most easily accomplished at the beginning or end of the line or at a yard where speeds are usually slowest, and is likely to involve you having to chase your train to get ahead of it for that other side.  Depending on your location this may not be worth the chase because of the distance, will traffic stop you, etc.  

In term of DSLRs, most have a timer capability specifically for taking multiple shots over a continuous amount of time. Most of the time its used for time-lapses, but im sure you could adjust the settings to take more pictures in a shorter amount of time. The only issues you would run in to is running out of space, or battery. I would obviously avoid shooting in RAW if youre going for the quantity approach,  but i think so long as you have a real fast shutter speed it should get the job done

11 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Your other option is to learn your line and where you can catch that other side.  This is most easily accomplished at the beginning or end of the line or at a yard where speeds are usually slowest, and is likely to involve you having to chase your train to get ahead of it for that other side.  Depending on your location this may not be worth the chase because of the distance, will traffic stop you, etc.  

This is the method i've been trying but it's pretty hit and miss.

Train makes a big loop through the mountains but I have to make a similar loop in the opposite direction.

Going uphill I can just about do it if I don't hit traffic but 9/10  the road is a bit crowded.

Downhill there's no chance it's going into town and the traffic is fucked usually.

kInd of wish my son was old enough  he loves taking pictures of the freights but I wouldn't dare leave him on the other side of a moving train

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 11.02.25 am.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 11.04.41 am.png

• Like 1

?Nice.  Well sometimes you only get one side save for the method already noted.  Will add that as far as catching that other side, you'll also want to be aware of where the sun is because if you're shooting the sunny side now you'll be shooting into the sun when you cross over,  gives you another element to control for in your shots.  Related suggestions would be to check for a bridge or tunnel along its route where you might be able to move around both sides more easily.  Also train in the mountains makes me think that you may want to search out locations where the train has to travel up grade, especially if it's loaded, as this will cause it to lose some speed and get you a better shot.  Howeer you choose to go about it, don't do this:

FatFocusedIndiancow-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...