? ? ? I just saw The Matrix: Reloaded ? ? ?

-Rage-

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by S@T@N

Rage, question of the day:

Does it top the first one?

No, never. The first Matrix told the story. The sequels just follow suit.

That's kind of like asking is Jurassic Park: The Lost World better than the first Jurassic Park. It just won't happen.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

That shot in the first one wasn't computer animated... save for the bullets and background. Neo was 100% real, computers were used to "smooth" out the jumps between cameras, but his body wasn't computer generated at all.

In the second one though, shit was a lot more complicated, since the camera has to zip around over 100 agent Smiths, so they had to use virtual cinematography (actors were motion captured, and a real set was mapped into a computer model). CG is getting stupid good, but they stiiiiill aren't quite there in terms of depicting realistic movement. The way the human body moves is so full of tiny deviations an nuances that get overlooked by the computer when tweening animation, so the result still looks a little plastic. They still did a pretty fucking good job, for example, watch that trailer frame-by-frame when Neo is spinning around on the stick, and you'll see his bottom hand let go of one or two fingers for a moment to get a better grip. If that's not attention to detail, I don't know what is. But then when he lands and swings the stick around, it reverts back to unusual smoothness, and the CGness sticks out.

I'm guessing some sort of physics algorithm, that can introduce variations in muscle tension and strength during motion, could help boost realism. I'm almost sure that there's something of the sort already, but it's still not quite there.

Whatever, I'm sure I'm gonna be shitting myself so hard during the movie I won't even care. I seriously can't fucking wait... Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest sneak

mams, i meant that the computer graphics was actually of the rooftop . if it came across as meaning something else then im a fool.

what i mean is: the shot where neo dodges the bullets on the roof...the roof being computer animated because of the disticnt lack of details..

Guest imported_Tesseract

...so its 35Celsium here and i aint going to a cinema till the summer ones open...no matter what.

And to talk about matrix, i'm fairly unhyped about it after watching the first one for the second time...

Yeah man, I'm fucking obsessed with finding out the key for ultimate realism in CG, so I took a look at everything going on in that scene to catch details. We are at a point in film history where, thanks to computers, anything you can dream up can be presented on film. That's fucking powerful... but there's still a lot of polishing to do before it's truly convincing. But the prospect is still so exciting...

And Tesseract, if you aren't hyped for this movie after watching the first one again, you are in the realm of suck. I watched it a few days ago and it made me giddy. This trilogy will be so good once completed it's gonna hurt. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest imported_Tesseract

Hahaha, actually it was the 3rd time after many years, i watched twice on cinema when it came out, having said that you realise that i was uber fascinated by the Matrix when it first came...the following years a bunch of other films followed, with equal effect dopeness, but i kept Matrix on a very high level....when i watched it again some weeks ago i realised that after the whole breathtaking effect it had back then kinda washed out...very few things still make an impression...there are parts that still crap my pants, but as a whole i'd put 'fight club' or 'hidden dragon, crouching tiger' on top of matrix...When it comes to trilogies, you need a strong plot that will guarantee the pleasure of viewing even ten years ago...the matrix in my opinion doesnt have one.

^ I do agree with part of that.

The Matrix relied to heavily on 'infered story' over the plot.

I really hope that the next two films do more for the overall

story and dont rely so heavily on speeches and Morpheus

monologue. I guess that usually happens when there's just such

an engrossing and complex universe and you only have 2 hours

to introduce everyone to hundreds of years of 'history'.

damn... I can hardly make a sentance today.

See, an important thing to keep in mind is that the story of the Matrix was written out in it's entirety way before the first one was made. In the same way as "The Lord of the Rings", each film is part of a larger story, which will seem incomplete if you only watch a part of it. That's why the first one seems to rely on inferred story, because it will be presented in much more detail in the next two films (and in the Animatrix, and in the Enter the Matrix game), and all of it was planned way before they even started filming the first one. It's not a case of "Hey that was really succesfull, let's milk it". Once it's completed, I'm almost 100% certain that it will seem so whole and well-thought out to elevate it to the top spots of sci-fi films of all time. The first one is already considered one of the greatest, up there with Alien and Blade Runner... once all three are out, I wouldn't be surprised if it sits on a throne next to Star Wars.

Those are brave words, I know, but I firmly believe in them. What they're doing here is nothing less of a major paradigm shift from what's been done before, on a bunch of different levels, from special effects to storytelling and even in terms of presentation format. I feel bad cause in the midst of so many impressive movies coming out lately, the importance of this trilogy seems to get a little lost on some people, but I believe that with due time people will look back and realize how much this production kicked the entertainment industry's ass.

Keep in mind, I loved the first one, but I never thought it was THAT good to be considered an all-time great... but now I've changed my mind. Beer,

El Mamerro

yeah mams,

we're on the same page.

I'm a little worried that this part of the trilogy

wont be able to stand on it's own the way the first one did.

That seems to be the problem with most 2nd parts. They

start mid stream and try to leave you with too big a cliffhanger.

Even with The Two Towers they left such a huge ? at the end

that I find that that episodes overall 'plot' was sacrificed for the next film.

Think of 'Empire Strikes Back' and how things were left. Solo was frozen,

the Princess was captured and things were just generally shit.

I know that it's part of a greater story, but each episode needs to be able to stand on it's own.

I'm sure that the Matrix will deliver.

Guest imported_Tesseract

I dunno, putting the Matrix next to Blade runner sounds like blasphemy to me, but the jesus potato will forgive you...eventually.

I really dont know...to tell you the truth, trilogies kinda piss me off lately, why cant someone make a masterpiece at once? to make more money or cause he has so many things to say. Its hard for me to watch a 9 hour flick to drop my hat...i'll watch the Matrix but i'll be eating popcorn at the same time.

Originally posted by Kr430n5_666

The Matrix: Overhyped with arrogant advertising.

I don't know about that. Have you noticed that for all the hoopla surrounding the iminent release of the movie, there have been no "tie-ins"? At time.com, one of the Wachowski brothers says that the Matrix doesn't fit in with the Happy Meals. They fear audience backlash, so they are doing what they can to keep things "cool".

You can't blame WB for advertising this movie. It had over a hundred million dollar budget. And hey, it's not like they've been advertising it since last year. Only since the Super Bowl. And even then, it's pretty rare that I see a Matrix commercial.

I can't wait. I love summer for this shit. I feel like a kid again.

Originally posted by Kilo7-

Solo was frozen, the Princess was captured and things were just generally shit.

Jabba didn't get a hold of Leia until she and Chewbakka went to Tatooine to rescue Han.

Guys, I was at time.com, and they have the whole story on the 2nd and 3rd pages of their Matrix article. I read it. I'm just gonna have to smoke a lot of weed to forget what I read.

Actually, there is one tie-in... Powerade. I almost exploded in anger when I saw that commercial. That shit ruins things for me, if I see a Powerade bottle in the movie I'm gonna throw a shoe at the screen...

Haha, Tesser, I know what you mean... I'm a huge fan of Blade Runner, and an even huger fan of Aliens (Aliens is, as a matter of fact, my favorite movie ever), so I had to swallow hard while I wrote that. Yet I think that in terms of importance and what the movies achieved for cinematography and science fiction in general, they're definitely on the same page. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest imported_Tesseract

Beer indeed my friend,

I agree with you on that one...still theres a problem with todays cinematography, the struggle for great effects has been a bit shelfish...i watched a documentary about 'The Mummy' the 3d guys made a software just for the film that totally cracks your skull and then pisses inside...amazing stuff, and for sure grounbreaking, the problem...the movie sucked like a black hole...The Matrix is a cool movie, like i said, i liked it back then...but effects arent everything, and thats where blade runner kicks so much ass...

The Mummy?

Well The Scorpion King is one of the worst examples of CG out there.

The Scorpion King (aka The Rock) at the end was just terrible. I mean Tron had more vision (more on that later).

And when the armies of bad dudes ran across the sand their leg movements didn't match their speed.

It was very poor quality.

Originally posted by Kilo7-

The Mummy?

Well The Scorpion King is one of the worst examples of CG out there.

shit, was it the mummy returns the movie at the end whwere the rock "transformed??" that was just disgusting cg, completely horrible, i laughed my ass off and was seriously surprised they put that out.

and shit beat me to the power ade thing, yeah that is extremely gay, if neo chugs one before the burly brawl im shooting myself in the toe.

I still thouroughly enjoy the first matrix, but im a pretty big fan of the whole thing, i do believe when it came out it was def one of the if not the best sci fi flick to have come out in a lonnnnng long time.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

Actually, there is one tie-in...

make that two, i just saw a heineken commercial for the first time, a trinity like character is serving beers in a club, and pulls off some matrix moves to get through the crowd, does her signature kick (thats been copied every fucking where) to hit some dudes that slapped her ass and succesfully delivers the beers. first time ive ever seen it....it seems like heineken jumps onto movies real quick...austin powers for example? trying to think if theyve done it other than that?

Eh, i don't have an opinon here but i am going to see the movie but it's not like im all hyped about it.......but i ammmm hyped about some lilo&stitch video thats supposedly comming out this summer. it was on the dvd that it was comming out, one those special features things. anyway-- i dont think its gunna be out on theaters, but i definately am getting the video.

bump for dee

FFFFFFUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!

I missed it. :mad:

"When you see The Matrix Reloaded in theaters and stay until after the ending credits, you'll get a first glimpse on the big screen at The Matrix Revolutions."

Originally posted by -Rage-

I missed it. :mad:

"When you see The Matrix Reloaded in theaters and stay until after the ending credits, you'll get a first glimpse on the big screen at The Matrix Revolutions."

ha!! where did you hear that?! i thought it was true, now i wont feel like an ass chilling until the end of the flick!

Archived