? ? ? I just saw The Matrix: Reloaded ? ? ?

-Rage-

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EL Mams

You make a good point in that The Matrix did expose a larger audience to simplistic philosophical ideas, an audience that would not necessarily be exposed otherwise, this can only be a good thing.

I make the comparison to the book, the Celestine Prophecy, because I think it is has played a similar role within a different, yet largely comparable target audience. The Celestine prophecy also bolstered a fairly weak storyline with an eclectic use of western philosophy and eastern mysticism.

My issue with the first Matrix was largely from the aforementioned marriage of philosophy and popular culture, for example; Kung Fu, Neo Gothic styling, Break beat music and so forth.

As an analogy, it is like me making a movie about Jesus and having him wear Fubu clothes to attract a wider audience. I strongly believe that this would not be the right thing to do out of respect for those who believe strongly in Christ.

Which leads me to my next point, The biblical references in the first movie were by no means clever, the makers of the movie were relying on the ignorance of the majority of the viewers in order to make this a twist of some kind, and again, although I not a Christian by any means, I find it somewhat offensive to try to make a buck of such a high ideal as the notion of God.

To make another comparison, the movie "The Ten Commandments" Is actually one of my favourite movies (I’m sure you find this amusing given my previous statements) because of 1. Its obscure humorous value and 2. I believe although obviously trying to make money of the movie the director did not do comprise his (I am assuming it is a he) notion of making a movie to glorify the story of Moses.

I personally would not even put The Matrix on the same level as Blade Runner , another easily comparable movie, because Blade Runner was obvious about the questions it was trying to pose and did not, to the same degree, try to put in place a safety net of action for the masses.

If the ideas the director of Blade Runner (who’s name I do not know as I am not a huge fan) did not come across the movie would have failed miserably, In this sense the Directors of The Matrix have taken the easy way out, without even half the subtlety of Blade Runner.

The philosophy involved with the Matrix Reloaded seemed to me to be aiming for complexity simply for complexities sake, at least with the first one there was somewhat of an apparent overall message of mastering reality, which has its roots in eastern mysticism and Buddhist Enlightenment.

El Mam you have proved yourself as someone obviously worthy debating with, please take this as an invitation to continue conversation this further, and not as an attack on your beliefs.

Peace

Ps Note I have taken the time to edit spelling mistakes this time, as it is worth my doing in this situation.

** ahh fuck page 8

I reallly don't think Defstar wrote that last post.

(meh)

<<not contributing once again.

Edit x 3

I can stay up all hours of the night, but why did I fall asleep during one of the most intellectually stimulating shows of the year?

Good on you all for expansion of exposure.

I watched it for the second time a couple of days ago, and I have to say it just seemed a bit more cheesey this time around. It also seemed like there wasn't much story, and that the action scenes were dragged out in order to bulk it up. I can't imagine wanting to see it again.

I still can't wait for Revolutions though, just to see how it all turns out.

• 3 months later...
Guest imported_El Mamerro

I'm 2 minutes away from finishing downloading the theatrical trailer to Revolutions (it's taken all fucking morning on 56K, mind you). I will report back in a few.

Is it a new trailer, or the one they showed at the end of Reloaded?

Because quite frankly I think that the fight scene outside in the rain

between Neo and Mr. Smith is going to kick a whole lotta ass... maybe

even come on par with the 100 Mr. Smiths from the 2nd one.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

It's different, offers more insight into what happens in the movie, as well as more incentives to start buying more underwear for stockpiling.

Allow me to pluck my skull from my asshole. I just watched it, holy

shit... the visuals absolutely stunning, and the story seems to be

wrapping up nicely... I wonder what that big machine he was talking to

in the 'real' world was? Bitch looked like Lavos, for whomever of you

played old school snes...

Archived