Spam threatens future of email

Weapon X

Spam threatens future of e-mail

Last Updated Thu, 01 May 2003 14:00:28

WASHINGTON - The future of e-mail is at stake, according to the head of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.

"Spam is threatening to destroy the benefits of e-mail," said FTC chairman Timothy Muris at the opening of a spam convention in Washington.

"What was a simple annoyance last year has become a major concern this year and could cripple one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century next year if nothing is done," said Senator Charles Schumer.

Schumer wants to introduce a series of anti-spam bills, criminal and civil penalties for spammers who don't comply, and new anti-fraud measures.

The FTC organized the spam convention to find ways to reduce spam.

Internet experts proposed new laws, better technology and an overhaul of the way the Internet works. But they couldn't agree on which approach would be best or on the definition of spam.

FROM Apr. 29, 2003: AOL, Microsoft and Yahoo! gang up to battle spam

Some said spam is all unsolicited bulk e-mail and others defined spam as unsolicited commercial e-mail that contains deceptive information.

In a small sign that new filtration systems are working, AOL said it repelled more than two billion spams in one day this week. In March, the company said it prevented just over one billion spams a day from reaching its members' in-boxes and is now able to block about 70 to 80 per cent the unsolicited e-mails.

Spam accounts for nearly half of all e-mail traffic and has cost businesses billions. According to a report by Forrester Research, the average consumer receives more than 110 junk e-mails every week.

Before the convention began, AOL teamed up with rivals Microsoft and Yahoo! to find solutions to fight spam.

In the end, the only way to fix the growing spam problem may be a complete overhaul of the Internet, said Gilson Terriberry, president of the Direct Contact Marketing Group, an e-mail list broker that conducts e-mail and paper mail marketing campaigns for other companies.

Written by CBC News Online staff

yo, man...I get spammed like, once a month, or something like that.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i get over 250 pieces of spam in my email a week. Then i have another email address that none of you will ever know. The second email has yet to get a single piece of spam. Its all about who you send your email to on what pages. If you get as much bullshit as i get then its probably your own fault. Thats why i have two. One for foolin around and one for keeping in touch with people.

I got one piece of spam that was hella funny. The message title was something like "You dirty mother fucking cocksucker bitch faggot."

i was intrigued and opened it. It turned out to be something to check my credit for free on line. Funny.

i fucking hate that shit. In nyc they are trying to pass a law to make it illegal. They were running of the calculations of how many man hours were wasted on junkmail and that shit was out of hand

Archived