Graphic Design Techniques

TRYBOL

first of all streamline sucks..

it does.. it sucks.. at what it does.. ive never seen anyone use it and have a successful outcome. and that goes for most vector tracing programs..

the best way to maintain the integrity is to draw it or trace it by hand.

perhaps im not alone but.... i hate on the overuse and inappropriate use of the cutout filter in photoshop and automated vector traces of images in flash.

it just looks bad. anyone who has tried it can call it out from a mile away. plus it doesnt have any personality or character.

but this is stupid and trivial....

ahem.. once again off topic.

joker the best way i know of to match colors is to find someone who has a pantone color guidebook. (whatever its real name is it alludes me)

this should ensure that the colors you want are true when printed.

to obtain a copy it will cost you 200 dollars so if you know anyone who works at a design firm. see if you can come in and just verify your color selections.

if you are outputting on a fiery (did i spell that right?) ive heard recently that you should bump up the saturation levels.. especially if youre printing out vectors.

i was a an undisclosed shoe company recently and the designers printout comps in high color saturation..

this makes the ink looked almost raised off the surface.

but since most of us dont have access to a fiery or have the ability to change its settings i dont know how helpful this will be..

ok i need to go back to my debotchery and beer.

..beer.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahhh... this is interesting. I know it takes longer but i have always been a fan of doing things by hand. Imnot the most computer literate person which would probably end up killing me in a field such as graphic desing. I think that you get a more real scummy effect on things when you use ruby or amberlith as well as the various percentage blocks. You might want to try that.

I focused a lot more of my time on the actual layout of things rather than the art aspect. Commercial art was a whole lot of fun. If you need me to make a layout for you i rock. Cut and paste styles.

bmp

dif question now, im in the market for an apple, not all you people out there, answer the age old debate, pc or apple, joking but seriously, i am saving up for an apple, do you think it would be beneficial to buy a laptop, (for on the go, etc etc....) or a desktop, seeing as how i have a pc desktop, i was sorta leaning towards laptop. Any suggestions from the apple people here?

just from my experience trying to do tedious work on a laptop i have a few things you should take into consideration.

if you are doing flash and such especially if your scripting having a laptop can be a real pain in the ass. the screen gets hard to look at.. it fucks up your posture... the colors are always going to be off and desaturated..

if you can dock your laptop when youre at home and get a decent screen and mouse sounds solid..

thats all the input i can give on this subject im still pondering if my next computer should be a pc or mac.

yeah....good point, i mainly wanted one cause most of the design world is apple. so id like to get an apple with the programs to become familiar with it and all, and to have one if needed for anything. I wanted a laptop, to dabble with projects when im away from home, your suggesting gettin a seperate monitor (And mouse thats compatible with the apple laptop for at home, and away just bear with it?) sounds good in the long run, but im still researching.

i did read up on the new sony line of laptops and there trying to give apple a run for the money on the design element computers, i think they have a few coming out as big, and almost as fast. i just kinda think apple is more consistent releasing their stuff (ie you buy one and your probably decent for a few years, am i wrong?) anyways thanks for the input.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Joker

That thread from a few years ago that was all El Mamerro and Tesseract was phenominal!! I can't believe I never saw it while it was in rotation. Bummed.

Also, and I know I'm going to sound stupid here but that's okay, the colors on my screen don't reflect the colors on the printed final. And suggestions?

I was amazed that the collabo thread is still up, thanks to mamerro...Thanx for the good words...As far as streamline goes, Al Green is right..it suck like everyother autotrace program does, i used to have the same problem, i solved by directly drawing styles on vector...but i just know that doesnt work for you (thank god)

As far as the colors go, i've used a trick in the past that was decent..in photoshop, you can assign a color profile on the image you're working on...you set the printer you'll be using and the colors translate to what gets printed...

P.S. this thread turned out good.

yeah streamline does not work to good if you have a very complex drawing, but

its not to hard to fix the imperfections in illustrator instead of drawing from scratch.

when I went back to 12oz all the threads were locked

and when I ask for a password it is never sent to me.

assuming I was banned?

Guest imported_Tesseract

I dont think so, if you were banned your status would be 'banned', your previous profile is still active,

send an e-mail to the webmaster.

Originally posted by TRYB0L

If you scan your image in at 200 or 300 percent then bring it into stream line

it will read it better and make the lines cleaner when you convert it.

banned for what?

that is true and to add to that. using a micron pen and keeping lines nice and consistent.

but still its pretty limited.

mammero kicked me in the nuts 3 times this past weekend.. theyre still sore yet oddly tingly.

Hovering

Just been hovering around reading this thread, hopefully we'll get some more people that will help out and share tips instead of just flaming people .

Anyways, Streamline is really good !! You just gotta mess with your pics in photoshop before taking them into streamline. I've gotten some really good results from it. If its a color pic, just take it into photoshop, turn it into a greyscale, and mess with the Curves tab to darken all the blacks and lighten the whites , also mess with the threshold. Until you get your image into a solid black and white stencil looking. After that, your lines should come out crisp and clean in Streamline. Of course, there would need to be minor tweaking in Illustrator, but not much.

As for grunge fonts, just download grungy photoshop brushes and lay them on top of your fonts , presto.

-noey

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by Al Green

still sore yet oddly tingly.

I lace my feet with fairy dust.

Guest WebsterUno

Ok, I use illustrator alot.

streamline is kinda crappy for retracing.

Actually, retracing something hardly ever comes

out the way you want it to. Just do it the rigght

way. Scan you line art at like 1000 DPI,

and see how clean your lines look zoomed

in at 100%! ;)

Then, open your line art as a template, and

retrace it with the pen tool. Thats what I do,

and I have different techniques on how to

trace things, and fill things in. It depends

on what Im doing. Im not a guru, but I know

a few things, here and there. here are a few

things I made, I will post one more after lunch,

I have to look for it, but its a photshop/illus combo.

canboy3.gif

yeah, haha...a doofy hip hop character, but it was for a job.

lilgirl.gif

this was for a job, but I snuck it in, hee hee

cauldron.gif

for a halloween clip art thing.

vampy.gif

Re: bmp

Originally posted by yoink

dif question now, im in the market for an apple, not all you people out there, answer the age old debate, pc or apple, joking but seriously, i am saving up for an apple, do you think it would be beneficial to buy a laptop, (for on the go, etc etc....) or a desktop, seeing as how i have a pc desktop, i was sorta leaning towards laptop. Any suggestions from the apple people here?

of course a desktop is gonna have more power and be able to hold a bigger drive and all that, but the new powerbooks will still work damn well...

i do photoshop and midi programs on my pismo (like 3 years old now) with hardly any problems... i know plenty of people besides myself that use powerbooks exclusively for graphics shit... and the new powerbooks are fucking miles past what mine is capable of...

as for the screen, the ones on the new powerbooks are basically the same screens as what gets sold with the desktops... you can see it from any direction now, and the colors are way more true than they used to be...

the only things that really bum me out about being on a laptop is that the track pad is not the ideal way to get around a graphic program, i don't have a whole lot of space to save projects, and it's not as upgradeable as a desktop...

i'm getting one of the new dual processor macs in a few months, and with and my pismo combined i'll be in fucking heaven...

thanks for your input, yeah i really would like it for travelling, on the go, and when im away from home, now this is a dumb quesiton since ive barely touched a mac, you can buy an external mouse to hook it up to it right? any of those logitechs etc....are they mac compatible? ive also heard some of the new powerbooks conduct wayyyy too much heat and can get uncomfy on the lap. not sure about that. not that ill be using it on my lab all that much. rather put it on a table or something of course!;)

Guest WebsterUno

Re: Re: bmp

Originally posted by vinyl junkie

the only things that really bum me out about being on a laptop is that the track pad is not the ideal way to get around a graphic program, i don't have a whole lot of space to save projects, and it's not as upgradeable as a desktop...

yup! laptops are cool to take your work on the road.

People have similar beefs with iMacs. Theyre

not as upgradeable, not as powerful, and not

alot of memory/storage capacity.

go desktop. kill your PC..lolz

Originally posted by yoink

thanks for your input, yeah i really would like it for travelling, on the go, and when im away from home, now this is a dumb quesiton since ive barely touched a mac, you can buy an external mouse to hook it up to it right? any of those logitechs etc....are they mac compatible? ive also heard some of the new powerbooks conduct wayyyy too much heat and can get uncomfy on the lap. not sure about that. not that ill be using it on my lab all that much. rather put it on a table or something of course!;)

the new powerbooks don't get as hot as the tibooks did, i believe...

and any usb mouse will work with one... plus i'm pretty sure the new powerbooks are coming stock with bluetooth, meaning you could get a bluetooth wireless mouse and not even have to plug a base unit into the usb...

plus if you throw a airport card in there (again, i think the new ones are coming with them already installed) you can find tons of coffee shops and the like with free wireless networks... you can never look as suave as you do sitting in a cafe, drinking coffee, and working on the latest project for your celebrity clientele...

powerbooks...

desktops...

Originally posted by casekonly

it's just as easy to use blending options, i swear...i dunno, is the plug free? or is it free on kazaa?

i have one called mac's white remover that works perfectly, but its not free. a search for it on kazaa should land you with a free copy though

Originally posted by vinyl junkie

you can never look as suave as you do sitting in a cafe, drinking coffee, and working on the latest project for your celebrity clientele...

ha, so true, sounds good man, hopefully i can raise the dough, thats my only prob, they burn a hole in your pocket man, but i guess well worth it in the long run, and i just read up on bluetooth, seems sweet as hell great concept.

now about plugins how many of you guys use these? i had a shit ton when i first installed ps 7 then had to erase my cpu, never got em again, and havent really thought of them, are they just eye candy? or really worth it? I mean i can obviously go look for em online, but do you use them alot?

Archived