Graphic Design Techniques

TRYBOL

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Illustrator question...

I'm working on a print for an upcoming show and I need to 'cut-out' sections of a layer. For example: Say I have a background all set up nicely. Then I do my outline over top of that. Then I do some fill in stuff between the two. But on the fill in I need to cut a section of it out. How do I do this? I think I asked about this in another thread but I can't find it. I've tried just about everything I can think of and it's not working out for me. Though I am pretty slow...

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

Ok, Im trying to picture what you have

in front of you, and Im going to give it a shot.

With your pen tool, 'draw' the section you

want taken out over the fill. Select the fill

and the newly drawn section. Group them

together, and follow this path...

Effect menu>>Pathfinder>>Exclude

your section should be cut out. I just

did it to be sure.

:lick:

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

unfortunatly, I dont know how to make that

exact pattern, you could make it, as a Dash Pattern.

Try looking around google, they might have

a path you can follow, to make that pattern.

hope that helps.

I wonder if what I had said above

hepled any.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Bobbyface,

I know how to make those. Hit me (or this thread) up later tonight and I'll hook you up with the info... I'm crazy pressed for time right now. beer,

El Mamerro

Joker:

You can make masks in Illustrator by selection the two shapes and using the pathfinder tool. Play around with different option they have until you get the one you like.

Al Green:

In both photoshop and illustrator they have a create/define new brush where you can make your own brushes. So just draw what you want it to look like ( x ) , then save it. I find Photoshop my best best for creating brushes.

Reading help files, or even just doing a keyword search in the help will answer countless questions.

actually i just did it manually which just in the end made more sense

thanks though.. even though i ended up answering my own question.

i can seem to make envelope meshes transparent...

it doesnt want to do that

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9

sorry to keep beating the streamline topic...

but i use it all the time and i have no problems with it. you just have to assume the vector output of this program will not be so good. i then bring the art into illustrator and clean up all all nicey nice, and kablammo, super clean vector jawns galore.

it's really just having the time and patience to go about doing the aforementioned.

and wise hit it with the brush question.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Andy Capp

need help for print and monitor colors.

my image is a cmyk illustrator file because it's going to be printed. i have a book that shows cmyk and rgb values for colors and i'm trying to get the color in the book but the colors on the screen are different than in the book. i realize that every monitor is different, but there is also differences between the rgb color and the cmyk colors. will it still print out the same as the book?

help appreciated greatly.

how are you printing this?

and are you using spot or process colors?

keep in mind stuff on the monitor will always look different than printed matter because they are obviously 2 completely different physical things.

also, if you are going to a print house to get your thing printed, make sure you get a proof from them to make sure your color, etc. is on point...

as long as the numbers in the book match the numbers on the screen...they will match (providing its professional and not an inkjet or some other desktop printer).

difference in rgb and cymk is mainly due to the fact that you are limited to certain colors when printing in process.

Guest Andy Capp

its for print on a shirt from a shop.

so should i use the cmyk values no matter what it looks like on the screen?

thanks.

sure, but is this going to be silkscreened?

are you mixing the color? or are you having the shop hook that up?

Guest Andy Capp

the shop is mixing the color.

but now i gotta a different problem. i've just been working on an illustration and now it says "cant save illustration"

it's probably just because i'm down syndrome but would anyone know any other reasons it could be doing this?

Originally posted by Andy Capp

the shop is mixing the color.

but now i gotta a different problem. i've just been working on an illustration and now it says "cant save illustration"

it's probably just because i'm down syndrome but would anyone know any other reasons it could be doing this?

if its being screenprinted...find someone with a Pantone Spot book and match your colors that way. Only way to be accurate.

can't save is probably due to lack of memory...close all other apps. if you did some copying...copy a small square to get rid of the big copy the machine has in the memory.

Archived