Graphic Design Techniques

TRYBOL

El Mamerro, post some of your stuff here, man. you're a great artist.

thanks for those tips, by the way. i'm not really into print, but after seeing what Joker was doing with illustrator, it got me curious. see, my 3d studio max stuff can be save to .eps and that can be opened in illustrator. i'm also working on a project that will go to print (but it's abnormal, like i said). i'll check out creativepro.com, maybe it'll provide some good info.

side note, Joker has some of my wireframes on cd, but he says he's been so busy he hasn't had time to pop it in the computer...i'm rather curious to see what he does with them once he gets some time. he'll probably read this and laugh.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WebsterUno

Ive used phong before too.

good shit there.

http://www.eyeball-design.com/index3.htm

ever been there^^^nice site.

good tutorials.

Im using illustrator right now,

to create 2 seperate characters

for my company.

I dubbed a song for someone,

and made a quick lil cover.

I used illus 10, and Photshop 7.

Nothing special, but I had it here,

so I uploaded it.

http://www.fatcap.co.uk/host/files/suga.gif'>

nice work. did you scan those letters in or use illustrator. Im doing something to that

effect now. I dont remember seeing the joker stuff you guys are talking about. Is there a

thread with his work. I saw some canvas work. both those sites are good

Guest WebsterUno

I did the tags on paper,

and then scanned them in.

Scanned it at a really high

res (its a black and white doc, so

its not a really large file, like

less than a meg, scanned at 1000dpi)

that way, I get a clean image.

I selected evrything, by

choosing 'similar', then

pasted my 'text' into the file.

Then I add my own color.

and bladdow, what you see is what

you get! :)

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

thanks!

I didnt know about the photoshop

battle?? damn, there is some sick shit

in there! Nice 3d studio stuff too!

I never tried 3d studio, only bryce

and swift 3d, and tiny tiny bit of

lightwave. How hard is it to use

3d studio? I have it, just havent used it.

well, i tell everyone else that asks the same thing: it's intimidating at first, but once you get the basics down, it becomes your best friend. it's really great, probably my favorite 3d program (i've had 'em all...maya, lightwave, truespace, etc) give it a shot. best links for tutorials are probably deviantart.com or 3dcafe.com

i was just talking to mammero about alot of the questions in this thread today anyways..

a plugin that was recommended recently is the "eliminate white plug-in" its been around since like photoshop 4 but its quite useful with b/w images.

swift 3d is interesting i did a project with a friend recently involving that and it created an interesting aesthetic.. speaking of which

www.boring3d.com

if thats right .. has a nice cache of images created using 3dsmax with photoshop touching up.

i just do my tags in illustrator using the brush/calligraphy tool. a friend of mine who went to a 123klan presentation said that they do drips with a tool in illustrator 10. i dont know cos i havent got ill10.

as for the dirty look the only way i was taught was to use a photocopier and blow the type up really big and then it starts to distort (david carson style.) im sure theres easier ways. usually i just scan in a really rough wall/surface create my text on another layer and then muck around with photoshop layer options untill it creates an interesting effect where the dirty/roughness cuts into the text.

theres a brush in version ten that is really drippy, almost looks like you used photoshop filter wind on it, but more legible and kinda more drip like, it can be modified, not sure if thats what your talking bout just something that came to mind right now.

yeah and as for "tags" and what not isnt just as easy to simulate with a tablet? i have take photos of tags and then put them in, as well as scan some stuff but i also have a tablet and using that is quite effective as well.

casek just type it in as a google search

you can get lots of plugins that way.. although i dont really use plugins..

i just really havent found a reason yet.. but when i do im sure ill overuse it.

illustrator 10 is much better then 9.. i must say.

and fuck freehand... god i hate that program.

Originally posted by fatlaces

wacom tablets would be dope but theyre way out of my price range.

i think the graphire series and the intuos one series(if still sold) run pretty decent but thats for the smaller tablets, true they are pricey, but if your goin to be using this type of shit alot (school job etc) they are damn worth it man, great stuff, i have an inuos one tablet, i got it bout a year ago when that line was popular, the intuos two line is even better but twice the price which sucks. Ive seen someone work on one of those huge ones, and its amazing sensitivity. I really need to save up for one of those.

I was just trying out illustrator 10. there is a splatter brush that gets that spray effect to a point. still have to fool around with it. there is also the warp feature that can make the drip effect you were talking about. I have a intuos pad it works great. I just need to find a usb adapter for it. my old computer was g3 just got a g4 and it wont hook up.

Guest WebsterUno

I was going to get a tablet for home,

but theyre fuckin expensive. I have the

option to get one here at work, I hear

its better on the wrists too?

yeah most def, i love using mine, cant imagine really goin back to a mouse after gettin comfy with a tablet, its been goin on the fritz lately, i sometimes get a one second delay from when the pen touches the pad to the actual storke on the screen, its real annoying hopefully its a memory problem though with my cpu, not the tablet. this happens in every app too, photoshop, illustrator, painter....sucks. hopefully i can fix that anyone ever have problems like that?

another good tip for using one is to tape a piece of paper on top of it, expirement with dif types of papers, (sketch paper, cpu paper) cause the pen will still read through it, can sometimes make it a smoother transition from pad to screen, and i think mentally makes you move easier cause your used to drawing on paper,

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I have a Graphire2 tablet and it's a godsend. It's pretty damn tiny, but it works fantastic for what I need it for. Can't wait to save up and get a larger one. Beer,

El Mamerro

had a similar problem with my g3, it was a bad memory card. I bought one of those 128mb discount cards. BIG MISTAKE! also just try removing it from the computer and re insert. might be lose connection.

Guest imported_Tesseract

http://www.fuckthebuff.com/tesseract/o.jpg'>

Although i agree with most of the points in here, i highly snob out the people thar are secretive about their techniques...when you feel that the whole power of your work is depending on a secret trick you discovered you're fucked...aesthetics is a complex issue, even if you know the know-how you still miss the essence of it all...its what pushes you to find new techniques that matters.

Another thing is what you're asking for, some stuff are just so simple that you'd find how its done at notime if only you tried a bit. I cant imagine that anyone with a scanner cant make drips...

The worst thing about software is that everyone has it, you need to modify software usage and bring it to your level...

Guest WebsterUno

Im convinced, Im getting a tablet.

We have an option for those small

graphire ones, or the big ones.

I think Ill go big! :D

Archived