Bush Cultural Advisers Quit Over Iraq Museum Looting

mental invalid

i dont blame him....poor fucking planning.....but heh, i mean really, who gives a fuck, its not like it was the cradle of civilization right?? shit happens.....:rolleyes:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The head of a U.S. presidential panel on cultural property has resigned in protest at the failure of U.S. forces to prevent the wholesale looting of priceless treasures from Baghdad's antiquities museum.

"It didn't have to happen," Martin Sullivan said of the objects that were destroyed or stolen from the Iraqi National Museum in a wave of looting that erupted as U.S.-led forces ended President Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s rule last week.

Sullivan, who chaired the President's Advisory Committee on Cultural Property for eight years, said he wrote a letter of resignation to the White House this week in part to make a statement but also because "you can't speak freely" as a special government-appointed employee.

The president appoints the 11-member advisory committee. Another panel member, Gary Vikan, also plans to resign because of the looting of the museum.

"Our priorities had a big gap," Sullivan told Reuters on Thursday. "In a pre-emptive war that's the kind of thing you should have planned for."

The National Museum held rare artifacts documenting the early civilizations of ancient Mesopotamia, and leading archeologists were meeting in Paris on Thursday to seek ways to rescue Iraq (news - web sites)'s cultural heritage.

Earlier this week, antiquities experts said they had been given assurances from U.S. military planners that Iraq's historic artifacts and sites would be protected by occupying forces.

U.S. archeological organizations and the U.N.'s cultural agency UNESCO (news - web sites) said they had provided U.S. officials with information about Iraq's cultural heritage and archeological sites months before the war began.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has rejected charges the U.S. military was to blame for failing to prevent the looting, noting the country has offered rewards for the return of artifacts and information on their whereabouts.

"Looting is an unfortunate thing. Human beings are not perfect," Rumsfeld said, earlier this month. "To the extent it happens in a war zone, it's difficult to stop."

The Advisory Committee on Cultural Property convenes when a country requests U.S. assistance under the 1970 UNESCO Convention on international protection of cultural objects.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

and dont forget about his $728 BILLION tax cut for rich people and corporations while our country is in debt and our infrastructure is in need of serious help.

dont be silly now fellow citizens, we all know that keeping the rich rich and making the poor poorer is the way to peace and justice and all that good stuff.

oh, and i think the next "terrorist attack" is going to be the bay bridge in california.

collapse the economy entirely, scare the congress get rid of the rest of our rights and rob our country blind of $728 billion while making sure he can stay in office for life.

would you like fries with that?

The Masons are poisoning the wells!

but... the looting is bullshit, with all those special ops guys running around, you'd think somebody would have thought of guarding the national treasure... but I also wish I'd thought of going over there and stealing some of it myself...

Originally posted by Smart

but... the looting is bullshit, with all those special ops guys running around, you'd think somebody would have thought of guarding the national treasure... but I also wish I'd thought of going over there and stealing some of it myself...

Guest ctrl+alt+del

ill finally be able to vote in the 2004 election, w000t. wont vote bush no matter what. but will the other parties have any good candidates?

I dunno, I wonder how many of these pieces will be smuggled through France Germany or Russia towards the Euro market... not to say there isn't a healthy intrest around the local region as well...

I don't think GWB is esoteric enough to organize all this for an art heist but... somebody took him up on it, and 'experts' say they warned the State Dept and others...

i think it just funny that rummie said that their hands were tied and that this was a natural occurence...

and yet the only two buildings not looted were the ministry of interior and ministry of oil...why?

cause they posted troops outside the buildings....

bullshit......

Archived