pin point lines with a brush?

Giving Tree

anyone know how to get PINPOINT straight lines with a brush? this is especially pointed at joker or anyone who knows joker's method to laying down those sick lines on canvas..

and on a similar note.. i heard i cant really get that precise on canvas, i'd have to use masonite or something similar.. any truth to that?

i've tried masking tape, but it bleeds *(using rusto enamels)*

i love the gloss of the enamel so i dont wanna loose it, but i wanna keep the line exactly where i put the tape/stripe..

links are welcome too!!!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

use a pinstriping brush, these brushes are sick if your doin curved or straight lines. my uncle is a pinstriper and hes done some designs on canvas using enamel with the pinstripe brush and their seriously pinpoint straight lines in some areas. plus, those brushes are meant to be used for pinpoint lines and also to be used with enamel paints.

but i want like.. drafting paper computer type straight lines.. if you ever saw joker's work you'd know what im talking about.. its amazingly precise...

its gotta be mask or something. maybe some sort of clear over a solid color base coat.. then just add layers.. not sure.. but i could use the help!!!

Originally posted by Kes_One_HTFD

use a pinstriping brush, these brushes are sick if your doin curved or straight lines. my uncle is a pinstriper and hes done some designs on canvas using enamel with the pinstripe brush and their seriously pinpoint straight lines in some areas. plus, those brushes are meant to be used for pinpoint lines and also to be used with enamel paints.

it's mostly the excess bleed and the fluxuation of the brush that troubles me.. not the brush in perticular.. but i'll try it.. anything is worth a shot..

any other ideas? where is seek or joker when you need them..

Guest willy.wonka

implanting memories

pinstriping is badass.

i need to paint more with the brush.its been quite a while.

i remember my art teacher begging me not to go to graphic arts to cruz with the crew..he gave me A's for showing him picks at the last moment when all projects were due.the guy is cool, smokes dank and fucks the teacher next door to him.-also talked about being at bob marley concerts-

:flashbacks:

practice...

a really nice brush

and tons and tons of practice, will enable you to paint that straight..

of course, there will be a limit as to how long the line could be..

thre is some masking type tape, that is not very sticky, that you could use..

the imperative thing: you must let the paint dry completely before removing the 'straight edge' and only use a small amount of paint on the brush

i've been trying to get the same effect. i'm putting a wireframe on canvas. i tried screenprinting, but the photo emulsion just doesn't get it. the lines are too thin and too many. it kinda globs up and takes off more photoemulsion than i want it to when the rinsing process begins.

i settled with the fact that i'm gonna have to use carbon paper and an india ink pen....it's frustrating....the damned design is too complicated to draw out on the canvas freehand.

another suggestion..

lay down a very fine, thin layer of fluid paint..no clumps, nice and smooth, on a straight edge, like a nice thin ruler for example...

then gently press the straight edge, like a stamp, onto the canvas surface..

voila..pencil thin straight line

If the brush isnt your problem than look at the canvas. I usually keep my pinky out against the canvas so it corresponds with my strokes. Kind of like training wheels for a straight line. I have trouble with blending in small spaces. Any tips? Do the blending strokes have to be really light, and with a certain brush?

id use some frisket.. not necessarily for straight lines but to block out areas while doing other areas.

ive used this technique in the past.. its effective for paper.

frisket is a similar consistency to rubber cement.

id also try not using canvas.

there are other fabrics you can stretch over stretchers. if you use masonite try using masking adheasive tape.. its not "masking tape" its actually i think made by duotac(t) or someone used by graphic designers.. old school like early nineties and 80's

i could recommend more i guess but id have to know what youre doing.. when it comes to enamels it just takes practice

and with brushes if they are round tipped roll the brush across a surface to control the type of tip. if you dont get what i mean ill make a little digital foto demo.

anyways.

hope that helps.

bob.

While we're on the topic, freehand straight lines with a pencil? I'm not talking short stuff, I'm talking about fluid straight lines across large paper. Mine always has a curve in it because you have to swing from something (elbow/wrist). No rulers.

Guest KING OF HELL

apparently my ass. i used to live with the guy. i've seen him do it. its sickening. just tons of practice though. confidence in your lines, and practice.

Guest willy.wonka

there was this chinese man that claimed to be the best artist in the world and was asked to prove it..he picked up a pen and in one line, he drew a perfect circle.

Originally posted by willy.wonka

there was this chinese man that claimed to be the best artist in the world and was asked to prove it..he picked up a pen and in one line, he drew a perfect circle.

Nicholas of Cusa (1401-1464) made the following interesting point regarding the shape of an infinite circle. The curvature of a circle's circumference decreases as the size of the circle increases. For example, the curvature of the earth's surface is so negligible that it appears flat. The limit of decrease in curvature is a straight line.

An infinite circle is therefore... a straight line!

apparently my ass. i used to live with the guy. i've seen him do it. its sickening. just tons of practice though. confidence in your lines, and practice.

yo, step off...i wasn't trying to be an asshole about it. i was just saying that Joker says he doesn't use a ruler. i didn't know before i saw him say so in a post not too long ago. damn, jumpin' all over my case an shit...fuckin' a.

Originally posted by KING OF HELL

Wait, so beardo and Joker weren't born with detatchable limbs that they could attach to plotters and compasses? Damn.

Umm. More random drawing shit. Anyone got anything to say about French curves? I'm tempted to buy a set, but I've got no idea whether they even help. Oh, and for those of you who ink pencil sketches, do you do it freehand or with aid?

People are stupid really you are.

Duder USE A RULER ON A 70 DEGREE ANGLE AND USE THE TIP OF YOUR RED SABLE BRUSH.YOUR GOING TO RUN IT ALONG THE RULER WITH SMALL AMOUNTS OF PAINT! practice on lined paper going over the lines its worth the effort dude! BELIVE ME

I just got back from the Hawaii contemporary art museum. They had a show featuring Tom Knechtel. The guy is incredible. Dude paints incredibly detailed pieces and makes ultra fine lines. Truly Inspiring, I suggest you see his show if it travels to your town.The Flicks just doesnt do it justice.http://www.tfaoi.com/am/18am/18am23.jpg'> http://www.tfaoi.com/am/18am/18am24.jpg'>

Archived