iraqi museum looted

yoshy

OH SHIT !!!!!!

Baghdad looters returning swag

Widespread rumor says cleric forbade wives from allowing their thieving husbands to touch them

By Carol Rosenberg

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Some people are surrendering the booty they took in the Dura district of Baghdad, perhaps in response to a rumored edict by a Muslim cleric forbidding Iraqi wives from having sex with looter husbands.

Muslim clerics have been demanding that ill-gotten goods be surrendered, though none here could confirm the sex-ban order, said to have been issued in Najaf.

One cleric said the rumor of the edict was widespread and that it would be consistent with Islamic teaching.

"A good Muslim woman would not let this man touch her, as a signal to everybody that this is not a way to behave," said Sheik Ali Jabouri, who also preached Monday morning that people must give up their loot.

"The people were destroying their civilization, their heritage; they were destroying their good Iraqi Muslim character," Jabouri said. "I think these waves of bad people, the enemies of peace, will stop. You will soon see how good the people are, how willing they are to apply the good Islam."

Whatever the reason, workers from the huge Dura power plant weaved through the district Monday, recovering looted items from their neighbors.

"They started to put it outside their houses, so we go around and collect it. It is my country and I am happy to serve it," said Nasser Ghali, 43, easing a truck crammed with office equipment past two U.S. tanks to Dura's huge power plant compound in southern Baghdad.

His fourth shipment of the morning, it contained chairs, desks and bookcases that had been stripped from the plant in the havoc of looting that followed Saddam Hussein's fall last week.

Staff Sgt. Adam Jablonowski, who grew up near Miami, supervised gate security and said stolen equipment had been "coming in all day," including vehicles and other supplies.

No doubt part of the inspiration for turning over looted goods was the hope that Iraqi engineers guarded by U.S. forces could restart the huge plant, which maintenance engineer Tony Mateus said stopped serving some 3 million customers amid U.S. air strikes about 10 days ago.

Mateus said about half the usual 500-member work force turned up at the gates of the plant Monday, eager to figure out how to fix the problem.

Engineers concluded that a natural gas line was cut north of the city, and that fuel was needed to fire up the plant. Now, Mateus said, Iraqi civilians and U.S. forces were trying to figure out how to restart it without natural gas.

The plant was damaged, he said, first by U.S. airstrikes and then by Iraqi looters, but not beyond repair.

Mateus, a Christian Iraqi, said he and 10 other men from Dura barricaded themselves inside throughout the war, armed, to ward off widespread thievery, and were more or less successful.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I was watching how saddam had some playboy son who had all these badass cars. After the bombings the locals came and jumpstarted many of his rides and are cruising the town in pimpass bentleys and rolls royces and shit, thats fucken tight. Imagine being onpatrol in some totally foreign area and seeing homeboys rolling down dirt roads in a 57 chevy? Pretty trippy.

Guest imported_Europe

This is one of the only interesting things about the war the last couple of days.

It is indeed, like others before me have said, a great tradegy and a BIG loss to the world.

Archived