the hitch hiking thread

casekonly

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i met some old white lady (late 40s or early 50s, i don't remember) at school. anyhow, she says she always used to hitchhike. she said "hitch hiking used to be safe". i don't know why, but i've started writing that here and there cause it sounds cool.

also, i remember a while back on 20/20, one of their reporters hitched hiked across america and they got it all on tape. anyone know how to get a hold of old 20/20 shows?

gordo, i saw that one..it was called, "across america" or something like that...i dunno where you could get it, maybe if you call abc or cbs...whichever network television station...

kabar, you really should be a writer. that was another great story. i think people here learn something new everytime you post one of your old rail stories or hitching stories. i hope this thread stays alive long enough to capture your attention and keep you writing.

i got into some wierd cars with some wierd people in germany. it was all good. id like to try hitching in europe.

me and my friends usually pick up hitchhikers to and from the mountains. well, we didnt pick up the drunk guy with the baseball bat, we instead drove over made him run up to the car and then drove away. fucking wierdo.

around here its pretty chill, alot of the people are just boarders/skiers/climbers and you just kinda ask em where their headed and its usually cool to pick em up.

we picked up one guy on the way back from jasper i think, he was some dj who played at a rave in spray lakes is what he told us. he kept making all these wierd jokesthat werent funny at all. it was the first time we picked up a hitch hiker and we didnt know what to expect, and of course my stupid friends made him sit next to me. anyways, we got back to the city and didnt know where to let hjim out so we ended up driving him home. fuck was he wierd. he kept talking about two french guys who picked him up....

bump for ann arbor michigan

and every experience of kabars ever shared here on 12 oz.

thank you, I am hitchiking around the midwest this summer for sure. kind of afraid being a youngin and doing it but then again, people always tell em i look like i am much older, but i think its more about how i act...

I've hitched around quite a bit and it really is not as bad as people say it is. I'm a girl and yes I've had the odd weird man be all "Oh baby baby" but it's not worse than a night out at the bar.

Some pointers-Always ask where the driver is going before you tell them where you are going. THis way if they give you the "no" feeling you can always change your destination.

Trust your instincts about people.

Don't let you and your luggage get separated!! My uncle and a friend were hitching around Germany in the 60's, got picked up by a couple of German guys. They put their backpacks in the boot and sat in the backseat. The two Germans started talking to each other and planning about how they were going to rob and kill my uncle and his friend in German, unaware that both my uncle and his friend were fluent. My uncle and his friend looked at each thinking "Holy Shit" but had to wait until they got to a reststop before they could grab their bags and hoof it. If the Germans had chosen to lock the boot, they would have been screwed.

Try and meet up with someone who is going the same way-it's safer and standing by yourself for 2 hours in the hot sun/pouring rain/cold is not as fun as you would think.

And bike trips-Yes Yes YesYes-so fun and easy-get a really small tent and sleeping bag and go somewhere warm.

Damn traveling threads and damn job that doesn't let me travel. I'm in withdrawal I swear.

wow, well, i'm not a girl, so i don't have to worry about that part, but i'm sure there are some girls peeping this thread, you did. the planning/learning is still in the works. who knows what wil happen between now and summer. i was invited to go live in venice beach in january, so i might go there for a month adn try to make my way across to the east coast again (where i am now). we'll see. it'd really be nice if i could carry a laptop and document it on 12oz, maybe upload flix, etc. on the road...heh, that'd be a good experiment. maybe try and meet a bunch of 12ozers along the way

Venice Beach

Everybody loves Venice. It's sort of the epitome of the California lifestyle. They always have shots of peoplew rollerskating on Venice Boardwalk in movies about "hip" California.

HOWEVER---some of you guys that have been reading my stuff for a while may remember a story I told about a young teenager who was hanging out with us in the early '70s who got invited up to a guy's apartment and the guy pulled a knife, locked the door and butt fucked the kid all day before letting him go. No doubt, this story could happen in Topeka or Chicago just as easily as Venice, but be aware---California can be pretty fucking brutal. (I won't tell the part about my Communist friends wanting to borrow my Browning Hi-Power 9mm to whack the guy, and me refusing and taking off with my girlfriend. It was a major argument between me and them. It seems pussy now, but my argument back then was "It's his own fault if he got raped, he should have never gone up to the guy's apartment to start with, and now you want to use MY pistol to whack the guy? Get fucked. I'm not going to prison for life for this stupid kid. If the cops pick him up he won't be able to keep his mouth shut for ten seconds---he's a puss."

Flawed logic, I admit. I also had a problem with the vigilante aspect. We only had the kid's word that it was rape. How could we be sure he didn't actually want the guy to fuck him, but afterwards, he said it was homosexual rape? He might have been trying to come out, but wasn't prepared for the fucking he got. Whatever. It wasn't my beef, and I definately had no intention of getting involved in a pre-meditated murder. FUCK that.

I knew another guy from Venice (briefly) who was flying colors for the Vagos MC. (Ever see the movie "Mask," with Cher and Eric Stoltz and Sam Elliott, the absolutely best portrayal of a biker to ever be put on film? The name of the motorcycle club in the movie was the "Turks", because the real club, the Vagos MC, wanted too much money to allow Bogdonovich to use their (copywrited) colors.)

He told me a story about a gang hit in which the Vagos caught another club during a meeting in a garage, and killed them all in a big shoot out. He was one crazy sonofabitch, but very believeable. I never met anybody with so many horrifying scars or tattoos. The guy had like 80 tattoos, and was disfigured from going through a car windshield in a wreck.

The sugarcoated portrayal of the Vagos MC in "Mask" is bullshit. They are mean as a snake, but I like that movie, especially the character "Bulldozer." Reminds me of one of my old club brothers named Little John. He weighed about 300 pounds.

as i sit here reaing this last post by kabar, i'm listening to "the vandals" and my mouth was kinda hanging open in suspense for the next sentence... kabar, you've got one hell of a collection of experiences. thank you, once again, for a good story, kabar.

Originally posted by casekonly

wow, well, i'm not a girl, so i don't have to worry about that part, but i'm sure there are some girls peeping this thread, you did. the planning/learning is still in the works. who knows what wil happen between now and summer. i was invited to go live in venice beach in january, so i might go there for a month adn try to make my way across to the east coast again (where i am now). we'll see. it'd really be nice if i could carry a laptop and document it on 12oz, maybe upload flix, etc. on the road...heh, that'd be a good experiment. maybe try and meet a bunch of 12ozers along the way

If you manage to make it up to the Great White North-go around BC-best place in the country to hitchhike-beautiful,warm,trains-a-plenty. Vancouver Island is great, lots of little towns with hippies and surfers and backpackers. If you make it up here, check out Tofino-it's a town on Vancouver Island that's pretty famous for the surfing.

Guest Andy Capp

i went hitchhiking through saskatchewan once. my first ride in the province was from 3 first nations who were drunk after work and heading back to the res. was pretty crazy cause we sort of strolled into the shoulder a few times, got a little tense, but was all good.

the next lady that gave us a ride wouldn't stop talking about how dumb her daughter was. it was pretty funny, and then the third ride was from a super religous guy and his son, and he was telling us about how his wife would hate knowing that he picked up hitchikers. i guess everyones gotta be young once.

but make sure you don't have to get somewhere on a deadline. and wear confortable shoes.

One of the most nerve racking things ive experienced was while hitchiking.

We had just backpacked up washintons wilderness coatline and we need a ride to the trailhead our car was at. There we not many people up there and a taiwanesse couple picked us up on their honeymoon. Fucker was going 60 around blind corners on wrong side of the road but my dad being the stubborn bastard he is decided we didnt want to offend them and we took the ride, we stayed in the car for 45 minutes, luckly there as no1 else on that road. They barely even spoke english but his wife was pretty hot so it wasnt all bad.

Archived