When You're Sleeping & You Feel Like Somethings Holding You Down..

DEE38

I'm not sure which websites you are all finding these tidbits of information, but they're a tad bit off. Sleep paralysis is common as your brain waves drop from theta into delta. As you fall into sleep, the melatonin released from your pineal gland triggers a sort of "paralysis" to fall over your body. Imagine if your body had full movement while you were sleeping; you'd go to sleep in your bedroom and wake up in your next door neighbors front yard. Evolutionary psychologists (bah- I can't stand them) believe that this probably had an origin back to when we were sleeping in trees to avoid predators.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think im slowly but surely losing my mind

Lately i haven'tbeen able to tell the difference between my dreams and reallity. Its like i havent been to sleep in a long time. I start lookin at people real shady cuz they are doing fucked up shit in dream world and start conversations with people based on shit that happened in dream land. This is reallt gettin wierd. Please don't have me committed.

i once woke up to the feeling of someone sitting on me and choking my neck and when i tried to lift my hands or scream i had loss complete control and couldnt move... i heard old hawaiian ghost stories of a very large old hawaiian women who sits or lies on people. not to sure what the hell that was...

since i was a little kid i have dreams about getting stuff and waking up and not having it. back then it was toys and now it is it usually beer. also when i am allmost asleep i jerk awake as if someone woke me up, but i look around and no one is there. also occaisionally i wake up drenched in sweat allthough it is not hot and i didnt have a bad dream. another thing that happens is i wake up with a song stuck in my head that i havent heard for years.

I'm in deep sleep and all of a sudden I'm completely awake. As my eyes open I look at my clock and it's exactly 4am. I feel anxiety and try to get up but it feels like something or someone is holding me down. Not just pushing me down, but my entire body is immobile and I freak out. I can't scream or move for a few seconds that felt like minutes. This has happened to me few times. My hairstylist who has these crazy out of body experiences with his Indian Shamen (sp?) or whatever says it's your spirit leaving your body. I got really scared, eewwwww...

this has never happened to me until this past year and ive had it happen at least 10 times i thought it was my crazy roommate because she would chant weird things at night i thought she might've been a witch. this doesnt have to do with lucid dreaming ive been able to do that since middle school, astral projection is where its at but ive only been able to do that once, its cool because you can have otherbody experiences and explore different worlds(or so i hear)-

• 4 years later...

It was the wirediest thing ever, I mean I was already having wierd energy from the new house I live in. I was seeing spirits and didn't know what to think of it. So any ways I was laying down in my living room with the lights on and I just felt like something was on top of me, and I tried to move my arms and legs, and also I tried to speak and could not. And then a couple of days later it happened again and I started to panic but again I couldn't move or speak.WIERD

I have some fucked up sleep problems.

It is like my mind evolved past my alarm clock.

When I first began using it I would wake right up.

But now I'll sleep through it while it loudly beeps next to my head for hours.

Also I have no self control with waking up. It's like life and responsibility isn't apparent in my mind. I just keep going back to sleep and waking up an hour or two later, and at each interval I get a little bit more conscious until finally I get up 4 or 5 hours later than I originally wanted to.

HOLY SHIT, i thought i was the only one that had sleep paralasys or what ever.. i just had

that weird ass experience like a few weeks ago, where i would be like half asleep and try

hella fucking hard to move my arm or body or some shit and then i'd get hella frustrated

and go back to sleep. ive had some weird sleep exprericens as a kid, i use to sleepwalk all

the time. other times i would dream that i tripped or fell or something and then i would

flinch or twitch hella hard and wake up feeling stupid lol

what about when you're sleeping, and your legs fall asleep too....you don't realize it when you get up, and out of bed, only to fall flat on the floor, having zero control over your legs..

and yeah^^^^

that's something called a 'HYPNOGOGIC JERK'

everyone does it qhen theyre falling asleep.

pretty cool..i'm gonna make it a side name

i fucking hate this... i think everything is all good and i get up to pee and my knees just dont work and i fall flat on my face, it blows

happened to me once.

i heard it happens because your brain shuts your body down when you sleep so if you have some dreams you wont act them out, like if you dream you are playing soccer you wont kick around in your sleep. the problem is sometimes your brain takes a little longer or you wake up before your brain hooks shit up again.

Oh I knew about that!

the man even holds me down in my sleep! A negro can't get a muthafucking break

seriously though I had no idea it was sleep paralysis that I've been experiencing

I start panicking and it sucks. What an awful feeling

There have been a few times that Ive been totally freaked out by this! Nice to know what it is, I wonder if Ill be able to stay calm next time it happens.

I used to get this a lot when I took painkillers...I'd be drifting off to sleep or nodding out and my eyes were open but I couldn't move and I felt like something was holding me down...It's a very fucked up feeling to have and used to scare the shit out of me. It's been a while since it's happened though.

This has happened to me about 10 times total. It doesn't phase me anymore. The very first time however, it was accompanied by hallucinations and and an exaggerated sensation of fear which are both also symptoms of sleep paralysis. Scared the shit out of me.

This happens to me a lot. What I do is I really try to wiggle one toe first. Once you get that toe to wiggle, try getting your fingers to move. I hate those.

I also get the falling thing too. I also get it during class while I'm dazed out. It's embarassing. I have pretty bad sleeping issues like sleep walking, sleep talking, stop breathing, and sleep paralysis.

There was a whole documentary on one of those discovery channels about it, but because it was discovery channel, they had to hook you in by saying the most retarded outlandish shit ever:

"EVERY YEAR MILLIONS OF PEOPLE CLAIM THEY FELL ASLEEP ONLY TO BE KIDNAPPED AND GANGFUCKED BY EXTRA TERRESTRIALS. WE TALK TO THE EXPERTS TO FIND OUT THE TRUTH."

And then it turns out they just had sleep paralysis which apparently is when you wake up when you're still asleep, so your body's paralyzed and you're trippin balls seeing little people shove in your poop shoot.

The special also said that everyone experiences it at least once in their lifetimes, but experiences may vary.

Yeah, soupBDC and Fugazi are right. Your brain is kind of cut off from your body when you sleep so you don't act out dreams (theory). However, sometimes our brain partially wakes up before the brainstem allows messages to be passed on to the body again. So you're partially conscious yet you cannot move and you are conscious of the fact that you cannot move. Only happened to me about 3-4 times but I'm also convinced that there is some one breaking into my house and I need to wake up to defend myself. Sometimes I wonder if it's a dream that partially wakes us up in the first place.

Either that or it's the aliens.

Archived