--Grad Schools+the Job field Mega thread--

yoink

This is a personal inquiry but others can add as well, Id like people to share info on any experience with art grad schools and jobs if they wish to. Kinda like the graphic design thread, but this is a mega thread, film, photo, illustration, animation, etc.

Since im graduating soon, long over due I guess im interested, i thought there was a thread like this or at least about art schools last summer, but i cant remember or find it to bump.

Oh and Mamerro, you graduated from RISD right? if so, Id like to ask you some questions if you dont mind.

all in all, people share some info, advice and reccomendations, that you dont mind making public.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

second thought: for the employed people here; without gettin too personal what particular field of work did you enter and why? I mean did you graduate with a biology major and now live in costa rica painting trees (nothing wrong with it, just an ex.),

etc....

Guest Pilau Hands

You wouldn't believe...I graduated in Costa Rican tree painting and now...

I'm interested in this also. I'm on an art track [big surprise] for photography specifically. I did this hoping that I wouldn't have to end up teaching, and I would be able to support myself by working for magazines or whatever. I know these are probably pipe dreams and I'm gonna be poor.

Originally posted by Pilau Hands

. I did this hoping that I wouldn't have to end up teaching, and I would be able to support myself by working for magazines or whatever. I know these are probably pipe dreams and I'm gonna be poor.

my thoughts as well, im graduating with a design and illustration focus, looking for jobs and wondering what some people have to say bout this, suki, and steve austin had some good info in the design thread hopefully others and them too will contribute to this.

i wonder if anyone here works in animation whether its traditional or 3d????

I had just started film school and was offered 2 jobs on the same day.

One was at a local movie theatre. The other was as a tape jockey at an editing house.

I took the later and now I'm management.

All this happened in my first week at college,

so looking back college wasn't all that usefull.

But there were many nice girls to flirt with,

so my tuition wasn't wasted.

one thing about design is that there are lots of jobs out there, but there are very few satisfying jobs. typically the cooler the job...the harder you have to work. when you grab the mail out of the mailbox...look at it. all that crap was designed by someone who most likely really hates their job. whenever I feel like my job is shitty, I just look in the mailbox.

I switched back and forth between fine art and graphic degrees. In the end, I got both. The school almost talked me into coming back as a graduate assistant in photography, but I said enough...I need some money.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

....... when you grab the mail out of the mailbox...look at it. all that crap was designed by someone who most likely really hates their job. whenever I feel like my job is shitty, I just look in the mailbox.

i will quite possible never think of my mail in the same light now!

superb point though.

• 10 months later...

the realization has hit, that ill be in the workforce 100 percent soon. so this gets the super bump.

discuss. tips? anyone else in this situation? did you get a job straight out of college?...was that job something other than baggin groceries....etc.

ok...

tips

- use the college to find you a job. all the profs should still have working contacts.

- if you get a job while still in college think of what will be better for your future, a paper or experience

- call up anyone you can think of to help you find a gig. most jobs get hired though connections.

- does the school have a work term? does it have job postings?

- use every tool availble to you at the school (printers, computers etc.) to load your portfilio.

- find the local trade papers and start cold calling. Even if it's just to shaddow a pro.

k7 always brings knowledge.

-as for me, im looking to relocate, one because Im sick of where Im at, and two to get to a place that can better suit what it is I would like to do. So the dillema is...

-get a job first or grad school?

-get a job that would sponsor me in a grad school

-get a strong enough portfolio. Which would probably not happen or at least be finished till after I graduate.

asking profs. is key, I have allready been on that one majorly.

well here's a new dilema.

I think the best bet would be to relocate to a place

where you will be able to work, but go into grad school.

That way you will still have the 'student buffer' to help you

durring the move and all that jazz. Plus you'll be more likely to

get job referals as a grad student (I'd think). So yeah....

Moving then finding a job, or finding a job then moving

can bother be very stressfull situations. Moving to school

is easy by comparison. Then you'll be finding a 'local' job

once you're done grad school. Got that twisted logic?

I'm thinking that being a gigalo might work out for me.

Well maybe having to learn the foxtrot and slepping with old women isn't my thing.

looks like I not going to have to get new business cards after all.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by yoink

Oh and Mamerro, you graduated from RISD right? if so, Id like to ask you some questions if you dont mind.

Ask away man... if you want it to be private hit up my e-mail , but lately I've been getting increasingly shitty about answering e-mail soon!

Archived