ROCKED OUT DENIM JACKETS

ETHREADZNY

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

POKE_EPIC_DOZE-612x426.png

ZEAR_RISK_WEST-612x423.png

This article was posted by West One 9 hours, 39 minutes ago.

I keep this photo up on a wall in my office. I took it outside the Hayden Planetarium on 81street in September 1985. It’s a photo of the 1 line dynamic duo of Poke & Epic, with their (and my) mentor Doze. Every time I see this photo I think of those painted Jeans, and jackets that we all had. In those days mystery was important, and your identity was completely hidden to other writers. The only indication of your membership in the secret underground society would be ink or track grease on your sneakers, or the tell-tale hoodie (hood up!). Except when you wore your Lee jacket, or in this case- Jeans. On those days you absolutely had to be carrying something in your pocket in the event that someone who didn’t like you saw you rocking your denim (see the standard issue ‘Rambo’ knife in Zear’s hand below). There was no chain-tucking on those days, if you got caught in a bad spot- you were fully exposed. In fact, I learned for the first time what a few important writers actually looked like back then because I saw them their ‘colors’. My first paid hustle was painting Lee jackets for kids in my school at the time - including one for the young MC Serch, long before there was a 3rd Bass. I haven’t seen a Painted Lee jacket in a long time except for the famous Caine vest that Martha Cooper wears. I’m sure if we all dug out our closets we would find some real Jewels.

Archived