R.I.P. Too Poetic/Grym

DISCO BRYSO

Grym a.k.a Too Poetic has died of cancer. I know not many of you will care about this, but sometimes that's not what's important. for those who aren't aware, Too Poetic was a member of the classic hip-hop ensemble, Gravediggaz. check "The Night the Earth Cried" to hear a sampling of his lyrical gifts.

"MC's better duck fate/or catch a face full of duct tape"

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

my girlfriend wrote a cover article for the village voice about him last year. well, not just about him, but about the music industry and its lack of health care... he was the impetus... sad to hear but his situation really did raise alot of awareness (even if just in NY)... rip...

Guest TEARZ

damn. i had no idea.

bob. i have the six feet deep ep, which is pretty rare, and has alternate mixes for mommy, bang your head and 1800suicide. i think it was promo only. anyways, it's probably what you're thinking of... it's gonna get some burn on the table right now.

Guest KARD like WOE

On Sunday, July 15, 2001, 1:45pm EST at Cedar Sinai Hospital in California, Anthony Berkeley aka Poetic of The Gravediggaz succumbed to his two year battle with metastatic colon cancer. Poetic had been fighting for his life for the past two years, ever since he collapsed in the studio in 1999 from stomach pains and became diagnosed with the dreaded disease, cancer. At the time he was give 3 months to live.

The Gravediggaz came on the scene in 1995 after dropping their album 6 Feet Deep (Niggamortis). They then turned the industry on its collective heads in 1997 with the release of The Pick, The Sickle and the Shovel (Gee Street) which showcased the "horror" of oppression and the hard "core" realities of life. Originally the group consisted of RZA of Wu Tang Clan, Frukwan of Stetsasonic, Prince Paul, renowned producer of De La Soul and Poetic AKA The Grym Reaper of The Brothers Grym. The RZA was unable to contribute to the new album Nightmare in A-Minor (Echo International), set to drop August 23 but that obviously has no effect on the versatility that shines through on the singles Rest in Da East b/w Nightmare in A-Minor and on the album.

"Poetic was the brother I never had," says Frukwan. "I love him dearly and I always will, we always had each others back. He did this album, despite this illness and showed a true love for hip hop against all odds." It's true that Poetic fought the odds, going into the studio despite the nausea and pain that came with cancer treatments, he never stopped his creativity for this album. It shows intensely on songs like "Burn Baby Burn" where he rhymes about the horrors of cancer and how he dealt with it. Poetic's lyrics stream forth from a mind faced with terrible realities.

"I was honored to have worked with him," says Prince Paul, "whatever he has done musically is going to live on, and I am proud to have been a part of that."

www.allhiphop.com

its a damn shame. RIP

man.. that sucks i was just listening to the Gravediggaz album the other day.

hey anyone have a copy of mommy what a grave digga on wax?

the album version is different then the actual release i first heard.

i think im going to buy another copy of that album. i have it on tape.. its really worn.. (like most of my tapes).

sad to hear.

Archived