photojournalist 7.0

yoshy

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcas...ski2apr02.story

turns out he photoshopped the image...

DISMISSALS

IRAQ WAR 2003

LOS ANGELES TIMES

PHOTOGRAPHERS

On Monday, March 31, the Los Angeles Times published a front-page photograph that had been altered in violation of Times policy.

The primary subject of the photo was a British soldier directing Iraqi civilians to take cover from Iraqi fire on the outskirts of Basra. After publication, it was noticed that several civilians in the background appear twice. The photographer, Brian Walski, reached by telephone in southern Iraq, acknowledged that he had used his computer to combine elements of two photographs, taken moments apart, in order to improve the composition.

Times policy forbids altering the content of news photographs. Because of the violation, Walski, a Times photographer since 1998, has been dismissed from the staff. The altered photo, along with the two photos that were used to produce it, is published today on A6.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i wonder if doing stuff like that isnt common practice? and he is just

the first "to get caught".

its almost as if, it is really impossible to get

reliable, let alone honest, information from the media...

when it comes to photojournalism, I think the most you should be tweaking are the technical aspects. contrast, cropping the shot, all that. but at the same time, when you look at the composite photos it doesn't really look like what he did was so bad, but thats a slippery slope and you dont wanna get started down it...

Guest BROWNer

dood, you gotta get a hook up like me..

i have a tv and vcr, but no cable, so luckily

i have a posse that tape me things like passionate

eye every sunday and monday amongst other

tastey documentary shows..:dazed:

Originally posted by BROWNer

dood, you gotta get a hook up like me..

i have a tv and vcr, but no cable, so luckily

i have a posse that tape me things like passionate

eye every sunday and monday amongst other

tastey documentary shows..:dazed:

how bout I just borrow that tape? passionate eye is always on point. just bumped up a thread about the one they aired last year on saddam. "uncle saddam" strange...and narrated by scott thompson no less.

nachtwey took a picture in rwanda i think, that totally floored me. i

usually dont appreciate 'war' photography b/c it is usually pretty

shallow and only trying to go after shock value. this picture tho...was

almost like it belonged in goya's 'disasters of war' or something. it

was very moving. i will try to find it online somewhere...

Guest imported_Tesseract

I gotta agree with ese for start..what dude did isnt so bad, his intentions however are. The papers policy is right and i congratulate them on that..but still i'd say that this example is off spectrum.

The miscalculation exists in perceiving photography as a proof these days, the photoshop era brings visuals at the same level were written speech stands...you can twist it, mix it, alter it and finally get it to serve a certain viewpoint. On the other hand we all see daily all the flicks the army-embedded photojournalists shoot..even if it isnt photoshoped, the result is 'staged' in 90% of them...whats the difference bewteen a flick thats made out of 10 flicks to combine all the elements in their ideal form according to the photographer and a single flick of a scene that the photographer staged like a director and then shot?

to me none...i understand the reason la times haves that policy and its may usefull to draw a line..but it still doesnt make a big difference.

brown, you mean you have that documentary on tape?

...how i wish we could trade packs, oh how i wish

Guest ctrl+alt+del
Originally posted by Tesseract

He doesnt seem antiwar at all...

hes making his living FROM war. he benefits from war. i really dont see how he is antiwar.

Archived