furniture projects and woodcrafts

casekonly

i'm kind of itching to do something with my hands (shut up), and i was thinking about designing and building a chair, a table, or something. just wondering if any of you guys or ladies have ever done anything like that and maybe had some inspirational material or stories.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i am into furniture design, building and refinishing. but i have no inspirational stories except once you finish a project it feels awesome.

i have a few photos of some things i have built, i will try to post them soon. if you can go take a woodworking class at college/school or something like that. they definatley help you learn techniques, materials and plus they have all the tools you need. i am setting up shop in my garage and it gets frustrating not having all the tools, and damn those things are expensive. good luck, keep us updated.....

build a tv cabinet or something. i loved furniture design bak at skool, we made - tv cabinet, a nice finished box, a stool, a step ladder, a lamp. the lamp was the best job, i made a bowling pin lamp. was cool.

ok, i posted these before, but they only lasted a few hours, hopefully this works better:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p813b4a5cd0a04af4e45cfd1494806e3a/fc65ebbe.jpg'>

dj/stereo stand with equipment drawer

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/pdb7ef888387ddb7774e29196b9b886f8/fc65ebbb.jpg'>

end table w/ drawer

i have a few 80% projects i am working on, if i get them done this weekend i'll post more....

thats a nice design mammero....

remember that Denis Leary skit where he says something like

"I stopped smoking pot becasue I didn't want to get into carpentry".

build a giant bong! or not.

I'd say build a big hammock stand for outdoor use.

Then get a nice hammock and drink a beer in the shade. yay!

Guest SayOne
Originally posted by nomadawhat

ok, i posted these before, but they only lasted a few hours, hopefully this works better:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p813b4a5cd0a04af4e45cfd1494806e3a/fc65ebbe.jpg'>

dj/stereo stand with equipment drawer

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/pdb7ef888387ddb7774e29196b9b886f8/fc65ebbb.jpg'>

end table w/ drawer

i have a few 80% projects i am working on, if i get them done this weekend i'll post more....

thats a nice design mammero....

yo thats madd hott, i wish i could build shit but i have bad hand-eye coordination

Originally posted by Kilo7-

Then get a nice hammock and drink a beer in the shade. yay!

Thats what my deck and porch is all about.

I found this bad-ass drafting table that was made in the 50's. Solid oak, 3' feet wide and like 8' long, got it from a local architecture firm for $35 delivered. I spent another $5 refinishing it and it just looks sweet. Everyone that sees it compliments it and asks which nut I gave to get it. Its probably my favorite piece of furniture...although my dining table is pretty bad-ass as well.

watch my man norm on the new yankee workshop....

even if the project is lame, norm knows his stuff and you can learn alot about technique and time savers. sometimes he bounces around too much though, tells you to do something, and then next scene, shit it completley assembled, leaving you scratching your head.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

That's sick stuff, nomadawhat, damn sharp looking!!

Woodworking and building stuff is awesome, unfortunately I'm just not cut out for it. I tried my ass off to develop good hand craftmanship for building, but it just doesn't come naturally, and I end up trying to fix and improve things beyond the point of no return. It was very frustrating for me as an industrial designer.

Thankfully I'm good at drawing and software...

• 4 years later...

Archived