in case you needed another reason to hate big business

seeking

for those two lazy to read, it claims a carburettor that got 200mpg was invented in 1933. (todays average car gets about 24mpg)

Oil industry suppressed plans for 200-mpg car

by Simon de Bruxelles

THE original blueprints for a device that could have revolutionised the motor car have been discovered in the secret compartment of a tool box.

A carburettor that would allow a car to travel 200 miles on a gallon of fuel caused oil stocks to crash when it was announced by its Canadian inventor Charles Nelson Pogue in the 1930s.

But the carburettor was never produced and, mysteriously, Pogue went overnight from impoverished inventor to the manager of a successful factory making oil filters for the motor industry. Ever since, suspicion has lingered that oil companies and car manufacturers colluded to bury Pogue?s invention.

Now a retired Cornish mechanic has enlisted the help of the University of Plymouth to rebuild Pogue?s revolutionary carburettor, known as the Winnipeg, from blueprints he found hidden beneath a sheet of plywood in the box.

The controversial plans once caused panic among oil companies and rocked the Toronto Stock Exchange when tests carried out on the carburettor in the 1930s proved that it worked.

Patrick Davies, 72, from St Austell, had owned the tool box for 40 years but only recently decided to clean it out. As well as drawings of the carburettor, the envelope contained two pages of plans, three test reports and six pages of notes written by Pogue.

They included a report of a test that Pogue had done on his lawnmower, which showed that he had managed to make the engine run for seven days on a quart (just under a litre) of petrol.

The documents also described how the machine worked by turning petrol into a vapour before it entered the cylinder chamber, reducing the amount of fuel needed for combustion.

Mr Davies has had the patent number on the plans authenticated, proving that they are genuine documents.

He said: ?I couldn?t believe what I saw. I used to be a motor mechanic and I knew this was something else altogether. I was given the tool box by a friend after I helped to paint her house in 1964. Her husband had spent a lot of time in Canada.?

The announcement of Pogue?s invention caused enormous excitement in the American motor industry in 1933, when he drove 200 miles on one gallon of fuel in a Ford V8. However, the Winnipeg was never manufactured commercially and after 1936 it disappeared altogether amid allegations of a political cover-up.

Dr Murray Bell, of the University of Plymouth?s department of mechanical and marine engineering, said he would consider trying to build a model of the Pogue carburettor.

Engineers who have tried in the past to build a carburettor using Pogue?s theories have found the results less than satisfactory. Charles Friend, of Canada?s National Research Council, told Marketplace, a consumer affairs programme: ?You can get fantastic mileage if you?re prepared to de-rate the vehicle to a point where, for example, it might take you ten minutes to accelerate from 0 to 30 miles an hour.?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the most logical solution is for oil companies to just make gas ten times the price. they'll yield the same profits, it'll give incentive for people to have their cars retrofitted with these new carburettors. we'll still pay the same amount, but we'll be using so much less, polluting so much less, and basically preserving what little oil reserves we have left.

chrysler, i think, had a car that got like 150 to the gallon but they never even released a concept car for it... some green peace people stole it and brought it to a car show and were offering free test drives...

i'll have to look up when and where it was, but i'll post that later...

Originally posted by mr_president

:eek: thats amazing... would never have to fill up.

im sure it has its downfall though... everything does.

quit trying to sound like your intelligent tease. what could the downfall possibly be? that we wouldnt destroy the envirnement? that you could fill up your tank for 2 dollars, and still drive just as far?

just be quiet and nod when we tell you to, tease.

I'm sorry to say but I've got to side with tease on this a bit.

there's always an up and a down to everything.

Maybe the fuel efficient car can only run for 3 years.

maybe it burns 10x the oil. Maybe the exaust smells like cat turds? who knows?

Remember they introduced cigarettes that produce no second hand smoke,

but found that they had increased their carbon monoxide count to near leathal levels?

well there always a flipside to everything

Archived