Europeans on American steel

skrib139

Originally posted by cheerleader

yeah iwas gonne add that too, worldoflies: why do cats hafta come there to impress you? they love the steel, they come for it, end of story. you dont like it, cool, dont sweat it. i, for one, am mostly embarassed when i see these cats getting lots of US steel done..but , at the same time, as i explained on the wholetrain thread, i also understand that it doesnt mean europeans are better or iller per se, theyre just doing a different version of graff that we are.

^^

thank you cheerleader, you always seem to write what i`m thinking by I just can`t put it into words..shit school I guess ;)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ths forum smacks it i love to see the real writers, the european writers showing american's how 2 do there passnegers.pure sicknessfuck the frate badmans!why not buss some of them wildstyle's on a passenger then you will see how hard it is or try come and rock a london juboillee yard neaden even come on you yanky's let's rock this shit!

Originally posted by nang'eds!

ths forum smacks it i love to see the real writers, the european writers showing american's how 2 do there passnegers.pure sicknessfuck the frate badmans!why not buss some of them wildstyle's on a passenger then you will see how hard it is or try come and rock a london juboillee yard neaden even come on you yanky's let's rock this shit!

...and then you get someone like NAROC coming over here and showing us how to do rooftops and tracksides...

It works both ways!

I think both of us would have to understand more about the evolution of graffiti both in the US and on the continent in order to be able to properly comment.

The way I see it is that the "clean train" era in New York meant that people took to the streets.

But, being stubborn British cunts, the Londoners chose to ignore the "clean train" threat and to find holes in the system in order to increase the chance of a runner.

We concentrate on transit, they concentrate on streets.

Neither is right or wrong. It's just people scribbling their "name", looking for a little fame and / or recognition... nothing more.

Whether their peer group dictates that they should scribble their name on a train, or on a rooftop in order to get more recognition - THAT is what is likely to dictate what people do. Very few are trend-setters. Most just follow the crowd!

Originally posted by freeque

Whether their peer group dictates that they should scribble their name on a train, or on a rooftop in order to get more recognition - THAT is what is likely to dictate what people do. Very few are trend-setters. Most just follow the crowd! [/b]

thats got to be one of the most logical responses i've ever seen on this ongoing topic.

im sure its all been said before, but i have all kinds of respect when i see a 2003 nyc panel from a guy that i see a 1987 nyc panel from. the fact that someone has managed to keep putting in highrisk work in the same city for that many years straight is really commendable, even in my own town theres plenty of guys that have branched out and bombed cities all over the country and world, but they arent necassarely the bravest, their just guys that had more options in life. guys i still see up with new shit this week that were getting up in 86, did a few years of jail here and there, those are the guys that im like oh shit that guy did a new spot??he's fuckin crazy. i notice that a lot of the european train writers seem to be hitting lines in multiple countries, im sure its just to get up or whatever, but isn't there also a side to that scene that these guys dont want to risk being caught in their home towns where they've already been caught too many times but by traveling they can still bomb? i mean sure its still a risk but getting caught out of town (let alone a whole different country) you never build up too many priors so a first offence never really fucks you too hard. i guess i dont understand how things work over there, but its hard for me to discredit new yorks scene based on the fact a bunch of guys with absolutely nothing to lose are getting over. i know i've been all kinds of places and done plenty of shit the locals wouldnt do, but i cant really put myself above them because its all super circumstancial- i just get to leave whenever i want and never come back.

Originally posted by freeque

Whether their peer group dictates that they should scribble their name on a train, or on a rooftop in order to get more recognition - THAT is what is likely to dictate what people do. Very few are trend-setters. Most just follow the crowd! [/b]

thats got to be one of the most logical responses i've ever seen on this ongoing topic.

im sure its all been said before, but i have all kinds of respect when i see a 2003 nyc panel from a guy that i see a 1987 nyc panel from. the fact that someone has managed to keep putting in highrisk work in the same city for that many years straight is really commendable, even in my own town theres plenty of guys that have branched out and bombed cities all over the country and world, but they arent necassarely the bravest, their just guys that had more options in life. guys i still see up with new shit this week that were getting up in 86, did a few years of jail here and there, those are the guys that im like oh shit that guy did a new spot??he's fuckin crazy. i notice that a lot of the european train writers seem to be hitting lines in multiple countries, im sure its just to get up or whatever, but isn't there also a side to that scene that these guys dont want to risk being caught in their home towns where they've already been caught too many times but by traveling they can still bomb? i mean sure its still a risk but getting caught out of town (let alone a whole different country) you never build up too many priors so a first offence never really fucks you too hard. i guess i dont understand how things work over there, but its hard for me to discredit new yorks scene based on the fact a bunch of guys with absolutely nothing to lose are getting over. i know i've been all kinds of places and done plenty of shit the locals wouldnt do, but i cant really put myself above them because its all super circumstancial- i just get to leave whenever i want and never come back.

freeque nicely put man....my thoughts exactly. and ray finkle too..i kinda said the same thing in the 'wholetrains' thread....honestly, i think most level headed writers from either side of the pond have a mutual respect for each other...you just got a few cranky people who get upset and stir up the drama. i was thinking too, about another facet to all this: the international nature of european life (different languages/cultures every border crossing) creates a mindset of travelling and being open to other people/ideas more..you see it in everything: art, film, literature, even politics....whereas america, simply as a product of its sheer size and homogenous nature, is very xenophobic, and insular. so, whereas the average poor writer in in london or copenhagen may be poor, he has a very good understanding of what goes on in all the other euro cities as well as nyc. on the flipside, your average poor american writer can rarely comprehend graffiti outside of their neighborhood, let alone other US cities, and surely not europe. that usually why you get some yankees who are all ignorant like "fuck europe fuck that weirdo style"...its because theres really a different mindset for a lot of americans, and its in every facet, not just graff. its one of the drawbacks of being a very homogenous megahuge nation.

but i still think theres enough writers on both sides who love and respect all the work that gets done. im still just wating for europeans to invite me onto their couches so i can paint some steel.

Guest Tikriminal

freeque nicely put man....my thoughts exactly. and ray finkle too..i kinda said the same thing in the 'wholetrains' thread....honestly, i think most level headed writers from either side of the pond have a mutual respect for each other...you just got a few cranky people who get upset and stir up the drama. i was thinking too, about another facet to all this: the international nature of european life (different languages/cultures every border crossing) creates a mindset of travelling and being open to other people/ideas more..you see it in everything: art, film, literature, even politics....whereas america, simply as a product of its sheer size and homogenous nature, is very xenophobic, and insular. so, whereas the average poor writer in in london or copenhagen may be poor, he has a very good understanding of what goes on in all the other euro cities as well as nyc. on the flipside, your average poor american writer can rarely comprehend graffiti outside of their neighborhood, let alone other US cities, and surely not europe. that usually why you get some yankees who are all ignorant like "fuck europe fuck that weirdo style"...its because theres really a different mindset for a lot of americans, and its in every facet, not just graff. its one of the drawbacks of being a very homogenous megahuge nation.

but i still think theres enough writers on both sides who love and respect all the work that gets done. im still just wating for europeans to invite me onto their couches so i can paint some steel.

damn! you might have to break a few of them big words down for the haters....! :lol:

HOT IN!!!

:lol: that cat SYER smacked a ny panel and wrote "!@#$ new york city"

That is beautiful, simply beautiful...

Bumpski for all the letters on this thread, that ish is hot!

Quick ?, those whole cars were done in NYC(not scraps)?

If so... WOW.

Guest de la cruz

go damn i wish we had such an easy system over in europe...it would get demolished. shame all new york writers are such pussies these days. usa is all about image...just check the latest edition of mass (cr)appeal......full off TOYS......fuck america...try and compete and get laughed at you plastic mother fuckers.

the last americans I met told me LA subway was untouchable, the last one who tried got caught afther a helicopter chase and blablabla and yep afther the dutchman's photo I see euaopeans have to do the job again and again so stick with your leagal freight scene and leave the 'real' job to the men

voor dien hollander, echt vet man!

http://www.at149st.com/images/milk2.jpg'>

Guest imported_b0b

your average poor american writer can rarely comprehend graffiti outside of their neighborhood, let alone other US cities, and surely not europe. that usually why you get some yankees who are all ignorant like "fuck europe fuck that weirdo style"...its because theres really a different mindset for a lot of americans, and its in every facet, not just graff.

Cheerleader

Unfortunately that is just in life in genral all over the globe. I know writers that don't know what is going on in the other side of thier city! . Just seems some people are naturally interested in learning and gaining knowledge and others aren't.

• 1 month later...

Archived