-=graphic design major(S)=-

metallix

it's all about the QC (quality control)

anyone can come up with interesting mistakes,

the true techincians make those things happen

on purpose, can do it again AND pass quality control.

hey mams... I've got a japanese song you NEED to hear.

*edit: I mean pop on aim if you can. you'll laugh your pants off.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by El Mamerro

I was gonna make a thread asking the hardcore graphic designers here on 12oz (Steve, Suki, Raven, and whoever else could help me out) for hints and tips for delivering fully functional, error free artwork for the printers, cause I don't wanna be one of those freelancing dumbasses that send crap real graphic designers have to fix. Would you guys be down to help me out? Pretty please? Beer,

El Mamerro

not a problem man, hit the email up with any questions.

suki...if only I had spare time...and a web connection at home, I'd be so down with that offer. Somehow most of my freelance stuff is probono....not really sure how that happened.

Guest Andy Capp

Have to decide on a school to go to.

most of you are probably from the states, but i was wondering if there's any knowlege about some canadian schools for illustration/graphic design stuff. theres sheridan i know, but i was thinking more in vancouver area but anything is useful. i've been checking out the Emily Carr school and Capilano College. If anyone knows how those schools or other schools in canada are rated or what their reputation is like i would be grateful.

Yall don't even want to know about my career.... it careened way off track. I barely have the motivation for art anymore anyways... I was never big on selling my soul for art, and the nepotism and the money oriented market is not very cool either. It would have been nice though to land a halfway decent job I could live on and just do my own thing in my spare time.... It's good to hear so many success stories for REAL starving and striving artists.

Saaaay Suki: You might want to check this web designer out...

Designer@FantasyWebDesigning.com

I met him on the bus not too long ago.... he's a real cool cat.

Originally posted by villain

Yall don't even want to know about my career.... it careened way off track. I barely have the motivation for art anymore anyways... I was never big on selling my soul for art, and the nepotism and the money oriented market is not very cool either. It would have been nice though to land a halfway decent job I could live on and just do my own thing in my spare time.... It's good to hear so many success stories for REAL starving and striving artists.

Saaaay Suki: You might want to check this web designer out...

Designer@FantasyWebDesigning.com

I met him on the bus not too long ago.... he's a real cool cat.

thanks, i emailed them and asked for a sample.

don't give up, it's a fucking struggle and lots of endless hours of hard work but you'll get there.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Question #1:

Do you guys usually do your own ink traps and color separations?

I know how to make separations in Photoshop, but it's mostly Illustrator work I'm dealing with. I'm not worried too much cause the printer guys told me they can do them. I'm simply asking for future reference.

As for ink traps, I also have no clue how to them in Illustrator, I've heard it's actually quite complicated. I know Quark has an auto trapping function, but it's faulty, and I haven't used Quark in 4 years and barely remember my way around it.

Question #2:

The printing guys mentioned something about reverse plates which i didn't have the time to ask them about. What is the importance of this and how should I keep it in mind when preparing my artwork?

Thank you so much for helping me out, guys. Beer,

El Mamerro

Everything that leaves my desk is in a quark file or eps. Most of the time I just let Quark do its thing. I always proof it to make sure its right, if its not I'll fix it. I work with Photoshop a lot more than Illustrator. You don't have to worry about trapping with 4 color process jobs due to the nature of the printing method. If I'm working with spot colors in Illustrator, I will go in and trap it myself. I would say its more of a pain in the ass then complicated.

I leave seperations up to whoever is preparing the film...if we even use film. There is a standard....45 degree angles if I remember correctly. Sometimes I request things to be done a certain way, but this is always due to it being printed differently than the standard offset litho. Most everything I'm doing bypasses film anymore...straight to plate.

Question #2...It shouldn't have any effect on the preperation of the artwork. If anything different techniques will be addressed in the output of film. Get the specs from the printer regarding how they want the film. Relay this info to the output people and you should be good. For the record what kind of printing are we talking about?

You know your shit mamerro, so I wouldn't be too worried. Might want to freshen up on those Quark skills. ;) But thats easy shit and we can get you back up to speed in no time.

Originally posted by SukiSukiNow

thanks, i emailed them and asked for a sample.

don't give up, it's a fucking struggle and lots of endless hours of hard work but you'll get there.

Thank you Suki. Ever the hopeful inspiration.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I plan on going to school this fall for either graphic design or computer science im going to minor in one or the other im not sure yet. Im going to take the first classes of each and see what i like or think i like more.

And about the whole people who cant draw for shit but think they can because they do simple photoshop work, i know several and they are really uncreative and easily get lost when im talking with them about graffiti or art in general. Oh and they give their 2 cents about everyone elses art but seem to never produce their own. lol

I've tried school more than once. I took the Multimedia program at a college, dropped out because I hated all the programming shit we were required to do. Then I took New Media at the University here (great program) but can't stand all the other required courses we have to take outside of the program. I've basically decided to try freelancing until I can build up a solid portfolio and go from there. My question is, in your opinion is this worth my time? I absolutely love art and graphic design, it's all I can see myself doing as a career, but I've never been in love with school, it's got to be my biggest weakness. Do employers typically give a fuck about your education if you're good anyway? For what it's worth, I live in a city with less than 100k people, so competition here isn't exactly fierce.

Suki, prop'd for being super helpful.

Edit: Holy fuck I just realized how old most of the posts on this thread are.

Yeah they are super old i was just searching graphic design and found it, but oh well super informative shit though.

&& yeah i feel that i hate academics! I do alright i suppose but i still dont like it and i cant

see my self having to use that stupid shit to do a job

• 2 months later...

im in year 2 of a 4 year BA Honours Degree, visual communicaton....

the course is extremely typography heavy and we get to do some sick projects, some of which are competition briefs, meaning you can win a few grand if the client chooses your work over the rest of the class.

we design for print, space and screen, (web and motion graphics)

we work hard, 9-5 monday to friday with tight deadlines and critique our own and others work maybe twice a week. it is intense, but i love it.

really enjoy it, and have no doubt that i will continue to enjoy it for years, regardless of how much cash i make.

wolfgang weingart is doing a workshop with us in 10 days. cant wait. woooooop

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats fool!

Just wonderin what would be better, going to an institute for graphic design or doing a 4 year college degree in graphic design? It woulod be really helpful if someone could reply, I've done some research but i would prefer to hear from someone who has already gone through with this or someone who is still currently in school for graphic design. This is something that i've been interested for a while. So someone just let me know whats up with this through here or through a message. Peace.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No doubt man. I've wasted the last 5 years of my life between business school and working for a grocery store. Just started my 15 month gd program and I'm scared shitless of being that little fish in a big pond. A lot of self doubt causes me issues with my recreational artwork, the added pressure of school and a job market is going to enhance the stress I'm sure. Too bad the activity around here has dropped so drastically, it really is a pool of interesting talent.... and tit pics and butt peeing.

Archived