What Book(s) are you Reading (or Finished)

Guest chicken bone

uncle johns bathroom reader

such neat facts...........

now you'll know that one horsepower equals exactly 550 foot-pounds of work per second..or 746 watts of power..... and watts are named after john watts the same john watts that coined the term "horsepower"

now just from memory ....what word we all know, is author william gibson noted for coining?

no really ..you should know it

its nice to learn while eliminating...a few more "chapters" and i may lose all of my pseudoblackness

edit.....psuede..like pleather?...narf

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest professor poopatronic

Re: I'm a reading dork itsmy fav thing to do

Originally posted by Kettiecat

"Finnegans Wake" James Joyce

you must be an english major. i could handle ulysses but every time i pick up finnegans wake i just end up getting frustrated.

Guest BROWNer

i've owned crime and punishment for a long ass time, but never

read it....i honestly don't know a fucking thing about the world

of fictional books. is it really that great?

Guest chicken bone
Originally posted by puhfester

uncle johns bathroom reader

now just from memory ....what word we all know, is author william gibson noted for coining?

no really ..you should know it

Wasn't it cyberspace? Or something like that. Something to do with the internet.

I'm a dork. But its in his book Neuromancer. I read it when I was like 13. I liked it.

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9

currently reading cat's cradle - kurt vonnegut.

quite appropriate for times like these.

can anyone suggest someone similar to vonnegut? i've gotten tom robbins as a suggestion which i enjoyed a good bit.

holler and thanks.

Guest chicken bone

Vonnegut is awesome!!! If you liked Slaughterhouse Five by him... I suggest you read Catch-22 by Joseph Heller if you haven't already. I mean I don't think you can compare anyone to Vonnegut but I remember reading Slaughterhouse Five right before I read Catch 22 and I remember I made some parallels between the two. I enjoyed Catch-22 more though.. Such a phenomenal book. Well both of them are but Catch-22 is just like.. :eek:

Guest professor poopatronic

if you like vonnegut you would probably like george orwell, although they're still pretty different. and chances are you've already read 1984 or animal farm.

speaking of vonnegut, today i read "venus on the half shell" by kilgore trout. i nearly shit my pants when i saw this book in my friend's dad's bookshelf. it even has a little two page biography of the author and makes no reference to kurt vonnegut anywhere. pretty crazy.

Originally posted by chicken bone

Where's my prize?!:ballcap:

just post your routing number and account number and i'll deposit your prize into your account ...muhhuhahha

...shit...like a golf clap wasn't prize enough

Originally posted by ragsoe505

ah yeah, zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. if you like that one, read hitchhikers guide to the universe. unless, of course, you already have...

I just started reading it......i'll tell you if i like it.

and finnegans wake is a head fuck .... its fun....but its a head fuck

Originally posted by Serkoff

I just read that a few weeks ago, good book. Vonnegut blows me away.

I also have recently read Catcher in the Rye, When the Legends Die (bleh), Native Son, Slaughterhouse 5, and Cold mountain, all for english class. I'm waiting till the class is over so I can read The Brothers Karamazov.

Villain - If you haven't, read I,Robot by Asimov, that's a cool book.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

After months of on-off reading, I finally finished "Gödel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter. After having my ass kicked severely by said book, I am now switching to some brainless but never dissapointing Clive Cussler, "Valhalla Rising". I still stare at my copy of "A New Kind of Science" by Stephen Wolfram with trepidation, for it will most certainly melt my brain. Beer,

El Mamerro

"speaking of vonnegut, today i read "venus on the half shell" by kilgore trout. i nearly shit my pants when i saw this book in my friend's dad's bookshelf. it even has a little two page biography of the author and makes no reference to kurt vonnegut anywhere. pretty crazy."

its cause it wasnt written by him....it was written by a fan of kilgore trout who wanted to write a full novel, rather then just get the little snipets about novels kilgore wrote...so he asked vonnegut and he was down at first, after it went to press he tried to get it removed but it was unsuccesful....i think there was only one printing too....theres al whole story around it, but thats what i can pull from my sporadic memory...

im reading blue beard right now....so far so good.....

". I still stare at my copy of "A New Kind of Science" by Stephen Wolfram with trepidation, for it will most certainly melt my brain."

hahaha......mine is like this leviathan on my shelf....i cant even fit it upright, its on its side....just staring at me....please mams, atleast you get that shit alittle bit....i have to swim through shit like stephen hawkin with absolutely no background in science.....

perhaps we should start at the same time....this way we could discuss together....really im just looking for a tutor!

recently finished:

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night

Joseph Conrad, The Secret Sharer

Noam Chomsky, Profit over People, amazing book on globalization

currently reading:

I Ching

Howard Zinn, Peoples History of the United States, great book. deconstructing all the lies and half truths are teachers gave us in relation to history.

Robert Shea and Robert Anton WIlson, The Illuminatus Trilogy

William S Burroughs, Electronic Revolution, this book you guys should really check out, it is about the word being a virus, i am currently wirting a paper for my own good linking word virus theory and Pavlovs behavioural conditioning, they dont seem to have a correlation but read the book and you will notice it.

recently picked up the Autobiography of Malcom X, need to finish some current reads before diving into that one.

Archived