Freight fatigue

Cracked Ass

Originally posted by ghostvandal

cheesecurd the picture is not working..damn geocities, could you post the flick please i'd really like to see it..

yeah, i can't see it either and i'm curious. i've only gone over one train consciously and i thought that issue was dead. wasn't my problem to begin with. all i wanted to say is that maest paints a lot and in my opinion does it well.

now that i've taken enough away from this thread i might as well give an opinion to the topic. there are too many freights out there for writers to not get caught up in trying to produce as many pieces as possible. so unless your trying to do a burner, take a flick and send it out to a mag, your gonna do simple little panels that are consistent and recognizable with the idea that you'll have a better chance of having one spotted. after doing this for a while you'll probably get sick of it and feel the need to go bigger or better and lose the need for quantity. a majority of the writers hitting frieghts have been doing it for a while now and have high numbers so i think quality, size and placement will change, it was just a matter of time, while the newer generation may still be trying to make a dent numbers wise. As far as floating goes, i'd rather see the same old panel...i personally don't like a piece that doesn't bottom off the train unless there is a background that does or it's up really high. as far as running out of space and going over people, aside from the above mentioned i try to avoid going over people all the time, streaks included. we all know this is gonna come down to the individual and is inevitable. writers will do what they feel is appropriate.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I think as far as the ethics on capping other peices it should be based on age.

if i get some wack peice thats recent ill go right over it without a thought as long as im sure im going to burn it. if i feel the style im always going to let it run. but never cap anything older than you especially hollows and what not. but hey, its not my fault if you didnt paint enough pieces so that if you lose one here and there its going to shatter your fame or whatever. If i paint walls it runs a week at most. or undercover spots that get painted over and over and over.

i have had so much work buffed that i dont even care. as long as you get the flick its not like your going to see it everytime you drive past.

freights have been getting hit with peices since the 80s. Its not the end of the world to go over somebody, but use judgement and show respect.

and as far as all this talk about the culture dying and whatnot, i dont get it...dying? dont you mean the standard got raised to wildstyle wholecar autoracks?

you know?

I think that themes have a tremendous amout of power to them, and I think that it takes size to really have it hit home. When I look at pictures of the old wholecar subways I think about the moment people saw them and how it must have captured their imagination. I do not know if most writers would think that this is corny but I would like to see more work that appeals to children, and not just on trains.

Originally posted by loyd

I do not know if most writers would think that this is corny but I would like to see more work that appeals to children, and not just on trains.

totally agree with you, and man enouhgh to admit it.

Originally posted by oldenglish

I think as far as the ethics on capping other peices it should be based on age.

if i get some wack peice thats recent ill go right over it without a thought as long as im sure im going to burn it. if i feel the style im always going to let it run. but never cap anything older than you especially hollows and what not. but hey, its not my fault if you didnt paint enough pieces so that if you lose one here and there its going to shatter your fame or whatever. If i paint walls it runs a week at most. or undercover spots that get painted over and over and over.

i have had so much work buffed that i dont even care. as long as you get the flick its not like your going to see it everytime you drive past.

freights have been getting hit with peices since the 80s. Its not the end of the world to go over somebody, but use judgement and show respect.

and as far as all this talk about the culture dying and whatnot, i dont get it...dying? dont you mean the standard got raised to wildstyle wholecar autoracks?

you know?

thats interesting, if I feel like i can burn the piece i will go right over it.

clearly there will be someone who thinks they can burn your piece and they will go right over it,

whos to say which of you is right. im not trying to be confrontational but i hear this a lot from writers...even my own crew. its like ok lets battle...okay who will judge?

im feeling you on getting salty about getting your shit covered though. i dont paint a lot at all, but if someone takes out my piece with a bigger piece, to the point that i cant even recognise the car than its all good, because ive done it, so the karma is expected.

as far as going over old pieces, those are the ones i would leave alone. if theres a piece from 93 on the only car in the lay-up ill turn around and go home. on the other hand if theres a piece thats 6 onths old but its "fresh" on the only car in the lay-up....its more like...what piece, i didnt see any piece.

its foolish to get into the whole i can burn it so ill go over it thing. thats so subjective that its not even worth speaking on. all ill say is if i have enough paint to completely cover it than consider it wiped out.

Originally posted by The BLACK Y

its interesting on how some of you guys use the term "death of the fr8 scene ". I respect that you do what you can in your power to prolong fr8s running with graff on them. What happens if fr8s stop running next week will some of you stop writing because you cant rock trains. I would hope not, but some people seem so against walls . No one says you have to do a week long production,,, street bombing can be as much fun as a train. I feel like throw ups are becoming a last art. I really enjoy seeing people fill ins on fr8s,it can be such a nice change of pace as well instead of the usual panel, again the content of whats being done needs some variety Im surprised more people havent been doing roller paint tags on the flat hoppers, on some cost revs approach. oh well , im sure im wrong cause i dont get to se whats really going down out there.

if freights stopped running next week i would probably resort to legal walls. i never got into street bombing, and would feel so behind and out of the loop that it wouldnt even be worth it. especially in nyc. figgettaboutit.

i would like to see more fillins on trains though. like few writers out there i love thro ups. contrary to popular belief, it takes pounds of skill to develop a sick ass thro up. or maybe i just think that cause um frum brooklyn.

Originally posted by The Pope

thats interesting, if I feel like i can burn the piece i will go right over it.

clearly there will be someone who thinks they can burn your piece and they will go right over it,

whos to say which of you is right. im not trying to be confrontational but i hear this a lot from writers...even my own crew. its like ok lets battle...okay who will judge?

im feeling you on getting salty about getting your shit covered though. i dont paint a lot at all, but if someone takes out my piece with a bigger piece, to the point that i cant even recognise the car than its all good, because ive done it, so the karma is expected.

as far as going over old pieces, those are the ones i would leave alone. if theres a piece from 93 on the only car in the lay-up ill turn around and go home. on the other hand if theres a piece thats 6 onths old but its "fresh" on the only car in the lay-up....its more like...what piece, i didnt see any piece.

its foolish to get into the whole i can burn it so ill go over it thing. thats so subjective that its not even worth speaking on. all ill say is if i have enough paint to completely cover it than consider it wiped out.

Me getting salty? naww fool, your trippen.

the way i look at it, even if someone goes over me my piece still ran longer than it would under the scrutiny of the buff. If you go over my piece, im not going to get on the internet and bitch about it, rest assured hopefully i would have done dozens more by the time its been goneover so i dont really care. I try to paint as big ass possible so people dont go over me due to size. Also, as far as "burning" goes. I judge pieces based on letters and style i dont go over what i like and hope i get the same respect. but fuckit, i get flicks and my shit rolls out so i know it runs no matter what. im far from salty. Perhaps im overzealous on going over other people, but only when its necesarry and i can tell you that i have seen dozens upon dozens of ugly no style having toy shits that rollin and dont roll out. so its pretty much go over something half the time or more.

also, i dont go over established heads that I have seen lots of trains from. If i see one piece thats a meager three panels and i never heard of you before, when mine are usually half a car, sorry guy, if it looked good you know i got a flick for you before it got gone over.

the emphasis on numbers is the answer to your problem. but painting a single freight is like throwing a bottle in the ocean. so people try to maximize exposure by doing 1000's of simple, small, boring peices that they can churn out with no thought. if writers could be more sure that one freight by itself would be seen, they would put more effort into it.

for a lot of us, we were told when we started painting freights that you have to do peices, throw ups are no good. so many writers sought to satisfy this in a technical sense only, obey the letter of the "law" but not the spirit. now i think the spirit of freight painting for most people has become painting peices as if they were throwups.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_b0b

Word to cracked to this thread.

I'm not in the USA, so it isn't the freight scene that does this, but sometimes seeing everyone doing the same things in the same spots bores me far too much. A bit of original thought and innovation would be great.

Guest rob deer

I think it really really sucks when even graffitists have attention defecit. I don't think I'll ever get sick of it.

• 6 years later...

Opening words by Cracked are spot on I think. Maybe you don't/ can't bring a ladder to the yard, but you can climb the ladder on a train. When someone works with the edge of a car I always take a second look/ save that shit to the desktop. As for floaters/ not floaters - it really doesn't have to be either/or. First letter touches down, second rises up, etc. All that shit's cool. In fact - I think composition on the car is the number one thing that gets my attention - when it's changed up, that's the first thing I pay attention to. That's not to say that a solid spot between the numbers and the door is bad composition - It's great composition, but so standard it's basically invisible and you just pay attention to the other aspects of the piece. Even among those of course some are composed much better than others - some work with that little dip in the bottom edge, or push off of the door. It's also interesting when people go really small, like theory, or really low, like berzerker.

I'm going to post a few pictures, probably all stolen - I can't tell anymore, they're just part of that mass of pictures of "pieces of note" on my computer at this point - of interesting compositions. That Aest in particular caught my imagination when I was about 14 and didn't know what a panel was. Imitate that shit. Also paint coal cars.

peace.jpg

4401879500_cfd4b58740.jpg

Audio.jpg

berzerker2.jpg

berzerker.jpg

dopeaest.jpg

kayah.jpg

Archived