recommend an artist would yah!

Guest willy.wonka

Mariko Mori

I saw her work at the MCA in Chicago a few years back. She's fantastic.

http://www.krayner.freeserve.co.uk/mariko4.jpg'>

http://www.krayner.freeserve.co.uk/mariko1.jpg'>

Mariko Mori's self-portraits and installations are not common ones;they are a mélange of technology, sci-fi pop, traditional Japanese rituals, high-fashion, Shinto-Onmyodo spirituality, and other cultural phenomenon. Her themes embrace the fantasies of post-everything Japan and recontextualize, with remarkable brilliance, traditional Japanese customs, mannerisms, and trends. She exposes the illusory character of cultural perspectives while presenting slightly warped desires and dreams. Her art meditates on Japan in the context of a global audience, exploring the foreigner's perceptions of Japan as well as Japan's perceptions of itself.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by BROWNer

yo, i'm down with newman..

you're into some minimalism

seeking? m_nus..hawtin...newman..(?).

we've discussed this before havent we? if not minimalism in general, Rich in specific.

either way, yes, im a fan.

i just got the new newman book for christmas. shit is great. i also just scored a book on clyfford still off of ebay. it was a book published to accompany a show of his at the moma, back in 73 i believe. great stuff. still did one of my top 3 most influential pieces of art ever (in case you were interested ;) ).

this should have its own topic, far, far away from those god damn horses and dolphins and shit.

Guest duh-rye-won

i used to hate on conceptual art. i read a bit about newman and some other conceptual artisits and, like most things, have learned to appreciate it now that i know about it.

i think that red and orange on has masking tape under the zip. like, he was trying to use these straight lines, but then he just said fuck it and painted right over it. interesting.

Guest BROWNer

yea, newman is tight in his own way.

i don't think i've ever peeped clyffy though..

i did a googlo, some of it looks alright..

i wouldn't mind seeing that top 3 piece

seeking....or even a newman thread if you're

up to it..(you could even link up audio courtesy

of the man at m_nus:dazed:)..

anyhow...

i can appreciate the dophin's and all that shit

to a point...but for me any thing thats hyper

realist like that kinda defeats the funk of it..nature

is the ultimate creator, the overlord master, and trying to re-create

it exactly with no funk of your own seems like

the ultimate bite or somethin'...it seems like a cheap thrill

to me..i've come to

appreciate it from some people though..richter

for one is the fucking man on the scene..

Guest willy.wonka

ya know, i dont like alot of clyffords stuff... but the stuff i do like, i really like. these arent exactly the best examples either, i just cant find any of the paintings i really like. clyfford was kind of a freak, and before he died, he willed that until someone built him a museum, then the bulk of his work couldnt be shown. which is, i assume, why my favorite painting by him, hanging in the SFmoma, ive never been able to find in a picture of (anywhere).

which is also why my three most 'influenctial' pieces cant be shown. one was a colored pencil drawing done by some random high school kid, and shown in the mall 'art show' when i was like 14. it was a drawing of a bathroom shower head, but it was from such an unusual position, it was dope. up until that point, id never thought of looking at things that way, so instantly it like blew open the flood gates and completely changed my perspective on things. the second is the painting in the sfmoma which i dont have a picture of.

the third... honestly, would probably be the piece abuse did at the 98 paint louis. it was insane. id never seen someone paint shit like that. totally changed the way i look everything, not just graff.

so um, yeah. im rambling.

my take on realism is this... if you paint some super realistic shit, something that looks like a photograph... add something unrealistic to it. make their be some sort of personal touch, as opposed to just technical masturbation. people that can copy dont impress me much, no matter how well you can do it, because you're not adding anything 'new' to the world, just giving us an exact duplication of something that already existed (and very likely, wasnt all that cool to begin with).

i dont know, enough. ii shouldnt be allowed to write, right after i wake up.

http://www.dia.org/collections/twenty-reopen/65.310.jpg'>

http://www.abstract-art.com/abstraction/l2_Grnfthrs_fldr/g0000_gr_inf_images/g042_still-1947-J.jpg'>

http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/features/kuspit/Images/kuspit7-24-2.jpg'>

I like a lot of those, but im not really into pictures of dolphins and shit. I love Dali, his work was absolutley amazing.

I like: the visitors, homeland, splitworld, erotica. those are really interesting. as for as giger goes im not a very big fan. and i had never seen Howard Arkley, his stuff is amazing, rad.

Originally posted by seeking

whats that gay ass dolphin doing hanging out with dope shit by duchamp?

hahah the gay dolphin is a quote from a previous post and it can be understood in two ways:

1- underlines the fact that most pictures in this thread have nothing to do with art, or at least "high-art" and didnt fit in art history.

2- its a postmodern statement

Guest willy.wonka

SEE IF YOUR WISHES GET GRANTED BY THE COSMIC DOLPHIN !

hahaha..dolphins arent gay.they rape other female dolphins and keep them as sex slaves..its the truth.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imported_b0b

How could I have forgotten my favorite artost when I posted earlier? It is Andy Goldsworthy and it is very had to describe the work he does. Have a look at the link. Below is one of his "rain shadows"

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~artweb/washUSoa/freshpage/gm/ELevitt/emma's%20pictures/final%20pictures/Andy%20Goldsworthy/rain%20shadow_2.jpg'>

Archived