a thought about America.

atc

Just something.. I don't know, I've been thinking about it... I'm American, but my parents aren't. And often, I've heard that America/Americans have no culture. I believe this. America has subculture.

Think about it. As a whole, the group of us in the US have no similar ideas/acts that would define us as a culture. But we do have a lotta subcultures. As an 18 year old, there's all sorts of shit; pothead subculture, graff subculture (obviously), skating subculture, etc. The US ain't no fucking melting pot, because that term seems to imply that we all feed off each other, but obviously there are various segregations in each subculture simply based on the difference on interests. I don't know what I hoped to accomplish writing this, seeking I know you said post stuff that more than 2 people would respond to, but I figured I'd just throw this out there and see what everyone thought. Insomnia jogs a person's brain onto all sorts of weird subjects. peace, above.

------------------

ABOVElabs.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

your right america is short in the culture department so to speak,what what kind of culture are you lookin for?Weve made our contributions to the world,jazz,football,baseball,budweiser beer,marlboro cigrettes,corvettes,the $10 lap dance,5 foot tall women drivin excursions talkin on the cell while puttin on make-up,the jerry springer show,shottin up high schools,o.j simpson,ren and stimpy,the backdoor boys,brittany spears,cash money click,teachers makin 22,000 a year ,while Shaq makes 20 million,afirmative action,mcdonalds,bill gates,bill clinton,the infamous bluedress etc...i guess im tryin to say americas culture lies in its subcultures.Everyone wants to feel that in there own way they are cultured.When most Americans look for they "culture" in the media.We are a young country compared to others and really havent had much time to delevop one.

the main reason America has that melting pot philosophy is because they feel obligated to push it as much as they can no matter how "cultural" american society is. its what the UN wants, and in this day in age, its whats politically correct, to promote multiculturalism. i think its a good thing. but you're right. america has more subculture than anything.

***Atc i see what you're sayin and its true but in order to have a subculture you have to have a culture.Our culture is made up of different parts of many other cultures and thats what makes our culture unique(melting pot).Like the Pizza or Hot Dog you eat, those are all from different cultures but it has become part of AMERICAN CULTURE. And there is no one American culture there are several (yea iknow that makes no sence).Our subcultures are no different from the way how other countries have different tribes that have smaller tribes within them.But the tribes all have something that bounds them all together. .......um well i'm sorta straying off the point im trying to make(and confusing my self ) but if anybody sees what im tryin to say please continue ****

------------------

fuckitwhocares

Guest beardo

slave.. could you mean something like how (and this is not a diss) the current trend in radio rap is using old songs. basicly using a lot of outside influence to make up their own sound. totally off base? just trying to make it into a simpler analogy

Guest drewWrite

americans have culture. its called consumerism. even the subculture's are determined by what's being sold/what's marketable

paulie, those are all subcultures of a sort though, you are defining different groups of people. Take a Native American Indian tribe... they are all pretty much homegrown on the same ideas and traditions. But stupid whores who like to drive SUVs and talk on their cell phones and OJ Simpson have very different cultures (except for the fact that they both get WAY too much recognition).

slave, I can dig what you are saying, but do all the subcultures really make one big culture? You and paulie seem to be more saying that America has contributed a lot to other cultures, but I'm not sure your examples show that America has culture.

And finally, drew... I assume you are finished with you Ikea catalog? J/K, but I do agree with your statement. peace, above.

------------------

ABOVElabs.

americas culture is making money and fuking someones wife! or being broke while your best friend fuks your wife and ex!

this means everyones trying to be on top

------------------

i hate working

Archived