need help transfering to canvas

casekonly

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00283686f00000017.jpg'>

ok, that's what i'm trying to transfer to a canvas. i tried using acetone and burnishing with a spoon. no deal, it only smeared copier ink on the canvas. i also tried another technique with an iron and a xerox copy, but still had no luck. some ink transfered, but it was any detail, it was kinda smudgey.

so, i'm left with one option, that i can think of anyway, that's carbon paper. talk about time consuming. i'm not too down with that, but i'll do what i have to if it comes down to it.

any help would be appreciated. maybe someone also knows if kinko's does the architectual printing on the blue paper? ya know....blueprint...heh...i don't have any idea if they do it or how much it might cost for that shite...i'm only looking for 18x24...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

thanks for the suggestions. i'm really stuck. i don't know about tracing, though, that's alot of lines. if worse comes to worse, i'll give it a shot.

hmm, a light box....i don't think this canvas is thin enough. maybe a projector....or carbon paper and a sharpie...i'll do some experimenting.

i may just have to finish it in photoshop and have an 18x24 printed...gah...sucks...mass printing costs...

btw, it was rendered in 3dsm. took 1 1/2 hours to render out at 3600x 2700 at a 1:3 aspect ratio and 300 dpi...lots of lines...

Originally posted by casekonly

projector...

im not sure bout some other ideas, but my frind who only paints uses a projector for his large paintings and some times for detailed stuff, u could try to simplify it so not tracing every line and what not then have that model as a reference for painting, good luck either way.

Guest FlamingHobo

there's this thing called talent...repaint the thing..or do something similar...andy warhol ass nigga..

whenever i am trying to transfer something onto canvas, and it has to be exact, i put the image on an acetate sheet, then project it then trace the rough outline then clean it up later. you can get it really accurate that way.

there's this thing called talent...repaint the thing..or do something similar...andy warhol ass nigga..

bitch, please. why don't you step up and get ko-wrecked....ha ha, just kidding. look, this is just an experiment. the projection idea isn't too bad.

i'm leaning towards it, the more i think about it. i dunno, it's just crazy thinking about all of those lines.

as for talent, i'm guessing you missed the bus along with kris-kross

yea, get a gocco set. some of them have a certain size limit. but they are so fucking cool, and fun.

you could easily make a print screen and stamp it on the canvas in like a matter of 5 min.

hey, im selling one for $85 or best offer. plus shipping. seriously.

they usually sell for $125 +

http://www.creativeimpressions.com/media/s-103.jpg'>

hmmm....interesting ideas. silkscreening sounds like it might work. i've never worked with emulsion and such, but had a friend who used to do that stuff for a large comapny. he may be able to help me out with some of the details...sounds good. thanks.

if youre asking question about this and have no techinical understanding.. then what youre attempting may simply just be out of your range of ability.

why canvas?is it appropriate?

im not trying to be critical..i just think when it comes to painting its smarter to crawl before you walk and think before you run barefoot over a field of used syringes.

nah mean?>

why canvas? a good question, i'll answer it right now:

because it fits in with this idea for a painting i have. i don't believe i've ever seen anyone else do anything like it. it fits. it's appropriate.

i'm not running before i can walk. i have enough knowledge to know that when you get stuck, simply asking for advice or help isn't shameful, although some would try to make you believe that it is. that's about the saddest thing ever.

this is a rather complicated design to try to get onto canvas. i know what i'm getting myself into. i didn't rush online and head straight for 12oz to ask someone, i experimented first. i knew what to expect, had even gone over some of this in my head. screenprinting it seemed a little to hard, especially with all the detail. i still don't know if doing the photo emulsion would work out because of all the lines. i know a projector would work, but i don't have enough money to go out and buy one at the moment, and there is still the problem of all of those bloody lines. i want this shit to be precise because i have an obsessive disorder like that.

over and out

i really wasnt trying to be a jerk.

i think you should rethink using canvas unless youre prepared to geso and sand it a few times untils its nice and smooth and not too pitty.. not a pity.. but.. as in having lots of pits ..

i suggest trying cotton.. bedsheets or a similar cotton can be nice.. use some watered down gesso_not too watery.. sand.. until you get a decent surface.. then id would think silkscreen would get the kind of detail you want..

in terms of doing transfers.. acetone does not transfer copies and printouts well.. xylene .. the main solvent in spray paint does.. but as we all know it is quite toxic.. and on a surface such as canvas will not give you a nice smooth crisp transfer.. an alternative to xylene is wintergreen oil which also stinks alot..

people also do gel medium transfers.. which i detest unless theyre done really really well..

laytex transfers also come out pretty cool but it depends on how it is mounted afterwards..

i suggested and support the use of screenprinting for your endeavor. as mentioned above.

good luck on your efforts sincerly...

strongbad..

err.. i mean

bobby

i know you weren't being a jerk, but i had to make myself clear. i wasn't trying to imply that you were being a jerk, but sometimes we just have to make it so that others understand completely what we're doing, otherwise, you get walked all over and treated like a chump.

i really do appreciate the advice. as for straight printing on to canvas from the ole' lexmark, that's a no go. i just don't want to sell myself short.

screenprinting seems to be an option. i didn't know you could get that detailed with the photo emulsion technique. i guess i'll go to the local art store and check out a kit tomorrow. i need to do some reading up on screening, first.

i'll let you guys know what i decide on doing and post a result when applicable. thanks

Masonite

Unless you're Michaelangelo and you're painting a timeless masterpiece that you anticipate will hang in the Louvre or somewhere, I'd build a "canvas" out of the back side of a sheet of masonite board. Reinforce the smooth side just like you would a piece of canvas, with 1x2 pine, or if it's really uptown, use ash or some inexpensive hardwood. I used to put a 1x2 all aound the edges, then a stringer across the middle (all glued with rabbit skin glue and clamped seriously, then screwed after the clamps have given the glue a set). I'd fill the screw holes with something compatible with the paint (I used epoxy, because I was painting with epoxy paint--worked okay. Not too good with acrylics though.) Gesso for conventional mediums. I think they make acrylic Gesso, too. The "canvas" look of the back of a sheet of Masonite looks a lot like regular canvas.

Then get a school projector, like for transparency, slides or films, and transfer your piece onto a transparency, and project it onto your Masonite full size. Sketch it in with a Sharpie, and get ta paintin', brutha.

Originally posted by casekonly

as for straight printing on to canvas from the ole' lexmark, that's a no go. i just don't want to sell myself short.

if you worked on the original image before digitizing it, you arent really selling yourself short. A lot of really cool shit is generated with computers and sold as prints, whats wrong with canvas? Especialy if your trying something that would be close to impossible or just incredibly hard to pull-off freehand. The way i see it, it's faster and gets straight to the point, havent done this myself but dont see nothing wrong with it<-------

wow, the infamous kabar replied to one of my posts...how cool. thanks for that suggestion, kabar. that sounds really cool. masonite is pretty cheap. i really do like that idea, but i don't think it will fit into the idea for this particular painting. btw, how's your daughters newfound college life coming? you haven't mentioned her in awhile. (yeah, i'm a big fan of your posts, always a great read)

if you worked on the original image before digitizing it, you arent really selling yourself short. A lot of really cool shit is generated with computers and sold as prints, whats wrong with canvas? Especialy if your trying something that would be close to impossible or just incredibly hard to pull-off freehand. The way i see it, it's faster and gets straight to the point, havent done this myself but dont see nothing wrong with it<-------

yeah, you are right, there isn't anything wrong with printing out onto canvas. and i wouldn't be selling myself short, but there's a background that can only be aquired through painting by hand, you could say it's one of my trademarks, or whatever. i dunno, i just don't think i could achieve the same effect in photoshop...yes, i have thought of painting onto a skin and snapping a photo, and then layering it in photoshop, but it just won't be the same. i kind of wasted some time tonight by getting sucked into the sci fi channel and the history channel, but i'm going to do some reading up on some techniques and figure out what would be the most viable in this situation. i may end up throwing a background together in photoshop, but it really won't have the same feeling as the one i had originally intended.

all of these ideas are really great, though. i'm honestly glad that this forum actually works the way it's supposed to some times. other times, i get the biggest laugh out of reading some of the bullshit posted here. 12oz is definitely working both ways.

edit due to poor spelling due to cold medicine...making me moody, too

Archived