man arrested in US for wearing peace shirt...seriously

mental invalid

i am completely dumbfounded by this.....

stalinism here we come.......everyone on board??????

Man Arrested for Wearing Peace T-Shirt

Wed Mar 5, 6:15 AM ET

By DAMITA CHAMBERS, Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, N.Y. - A man was charged with trespassing in a mall after he refused to take off a T-shirt that said "Peace on Earth" and "Give peace a chance."

Mall security approached Stephen Downs, 61, and his 31-year-old son, Roger, on Monday night after they were spotted wearing the T-shirts at Crossgates Mall in a suburb of Albany, the men said.

The two said they were asked to remove the shirts made at a store there, or leave the mall. They refused.

The guards returned with a police officer who repeated the ultimatum. The son took his T-shirt off, but the father refused.

"'I said, `All right then, arrest me if you have to,'" Downs said. "So that's what they did. They put the handcuffs on and took me away."

Downs pleaded innocent to the charges Monday night. The New York Civil Liberties Union said it would help with his case if asked.

Police Chief James Murley said his officers were just responding to a complaint by mall security.

"We don't care what they have on their shirts, but they were asked to leave the property, and it's private property," Murley said.

A mall spokeswoman did not return calls Tuesday seeking comment.

Monday's arrest came less than three months after about 20 peace activists wearing similar T-shirts were told to leave by mall security and police. There were no arrests.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mental invalid

gotta love the spunk of a 61 year old man.......

undertones!

but seriously....the extra layer of bullshit comes when you read the shirts were made in a store at the mall. we'll sell it to you...but you cant wear it!

^^Ironic isn't it?

Actually he was not arrested for wearing the shirt technically. He was arrested for refusing to leave private property when requested. The real assholes in this case are the mall and the mall security.

If I lived anywhere near that mall I would be all for making a statement of some sort.

As a bonus though, since he is a lawyer he should have not problem suing the mall.

Guest imported_Europe
Originally posted by wiseguy

what is the world coming to?

Most parts of the world are doing fine.

Whats "the land of the free" coming too?

goddam right.......

and while im pissed off....whose the fucker that started this campaign to call french fries, "freedom fries" in protest of the french!??

if thats not the essence of an american with his head up his ass...he probably thinks we import em....dumbass

Originally posted by mental invalid

i got through......they pushed me onto their PR office...716-854-8182

I'm sure they're getting swamped with calls. Did you talk with anyone there? If so, what'd they have to say? There's no honest way to shine a bright light on this situation, as far as I see.

Archived