TV's Mr. Rogers Dead of Cancer at 74

swif1

TV's Mr. Rogers Dead of Cancer at 74

PITTSBURGH (Reuters) - Fred Rogers, who became a nurturing television friend to millions of children as host of the public television program "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood," died of cancer on Thursday at 74, his producer said.

An ordained Presbyterian minister who believed the television airwaves should be used to enhance the human spirit, Rogers died at his home in Pittsburgh. He had been diagnosed with stomach cancer.

Rogers, who began his career in children's television doing puppet voices for a local show on PBS affiliate WQED in Pittsburgh, became a national personality in 1968 when "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" became available to PBS stations across the country.

Each episode opened with the gentle Mr. Rogers entering a comfortable living room, singing "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" and donning a cardigan sweater and pair of comfortable shoes.

One of the red sweaters is now at the Smithsonian Institution.

The show was quickly embraced by both children and parents for an imaginative but simple approach that came with his own songs and puppet voices, and the ongoing message: "There's only one person in the whole world like you."

It became the longest running children's program on public television. He taped his last program in December 2000. The final episode aired in August 2001, but earlier program continues to run on PBS.

Rogers also tackled important subjects for children, including death and violence on television, including the TV news.

During the Gulf crisis a decade ago, he made a public service announcement that told parents: "Children aren't responsible for wars. The least, and the best, we adults can do is to let our children know that we'll take good care of them, no matter what."

Characteristically, the Web site of his production company Family Entertainment Inc. announced his death with advice on how to relay the sad news to children who will continue to see him on television.

"Children have always known Mr. Rogers as their 'television friend,' and that relationship doesn't change with his death," the message said.

Born in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, he studied early child development at the University of Pittsburgh and received a charge to continue his work with families and children through television when he was ordained a minister.

Rogers is survived by his wife, Joanne, their two sons and two grandsons.

02/27/03 06:51

© Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

------------------------

RIPhttp://member.compuserve.com/fotosrch/2/20030227WAS50D.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Mr. Rogers was not "cool"

But he was a wonderful, gentle man, and definately knew the value of consistant, principled, moral behavior. The kids are going to see years of Mr. Rogers re-runs, they probably won't know he's gone. But we will. Bummer.

Guest YinzerXpress
Originally posted by superunknown

i remeber when i used to skip school in my high school days , every now and again , we'd run into him outside of the WQED studio... oh well i guess no one is immrotal anymore.

no doubt.... civic is prolly crying, he worked on his car.....

RIP

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

Im a sad alien this week...

My condolances to Mr. Rogers family,

and to the rest of the world that grew

up on him. I just loost someone very

dear to me this week from cancer...

check my post.

Ok this is too weird. I was channel surfing one or two days ago and came across Mr. Rogers. I watched it for a few minutes, the whole time kinda sad, thinking what a shame it was that he had passed away. But now your telling me he died today... Why the hell did I think he had already died?

Maybe I heard a rumor that he had died a while ago... I can't really remember hearing one though

Still, the timing on this is kinda freaking me out

I cant believe this, I heard about it at like 1030 this morning when i walked into homeroom. I must have heard it about 50 times today, seriously. Mr. Rodgers has influenced so many people over the years, and although Im young it is sad to see him go, and he will be greatly missed.

R.I.P.

Mr. Rogers wasn't a sniper

I think he served in the Navy. The Marine sniper with the most confirmed kills was Gy Sgt Carlos Hathcock, with 93 confirmed enemy kills. But he had many, many unconfirmed kills. He and his spotter once killed an entire North Vietnamese company that they caught crossing a rice paddy. When it started getting dark, and they were concerned that those North Vietnamese that were still alive might try to flank them, they called in artillery on the rice paddy and withdrew as the rounds came in. The North Vietnamese called him "White Feather," because he always wore a small white feather in his cover (hat), to give the enemy a fair chance. They had a bounty on Gunny Hathcock of $10,000 in gold, payable to any NVA soldier that killed him.

Gunny Hathcock was an extremely good sniper. He won the National High Power Rifle Championships in 1966, I believe. He was severely burned trying to save some young, teenaged Marines set on fire when their armored personnel carrier ran over a mine in Vietnam. He survived his burns and was reassigned to the Marksmanship Training Unit and Sniper School at Quantico, VA. He designed and supervised the production of the M40A1 sniper rifle. He was carried on active duty for years by special order of Headquarters Marine Corps, even though he was suffering from multiple sclerosis. He died a few years ago in a nursing home. I was told scores of Marines in uniform stood outside the building in respect in his last hours. He is a modern-day Marine Corps hero.

Mr. Rogers wasn't really sniper material, but he was a fine man anyway.

Archived