Great White at R.I. Club Blows the Fuck UP!

Smart

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Dr. Drew

Many of the dead are still inside the building's charred remains, according to West Warwick Town Manager Wolfgang Bauer.

"We are preparing to go into the facility and start looking at removing bodies from the site," said Bauer.

Bauer described the blaze as "a quick flash fire" and noted that recent inspections had shown no violations.

At least 40 people with a range of injuries -- mostly burns -- were taken to Kent Hospital, a few miles from The Station nightclub in the suburb of West Warwick, according to a hospital spokesman. Dozens of others were taken to other area hospitals.

Flames soon consumed the building housing the nightclub.

Concertgoers inside the packed club fled for their lives, jamming exits as they tried to escape the fast-moving fire.

Video shot by CNN affiliate WPRI showed the band, Great White, performing as onstage fireworks went off stage. As the crowd cheered, a fire ignited by the pyrotechnics engulfed the stage. Initially, fans casually made their way toward the exit. Then, panic broke out, according to videographer Brian Butler, who was taping the rock concert.

"It was that fast. As soon as the pyrotechnics stopped, the flame had started on the egg-crate [foam] backing behind the stage and it just went up the ceiling and people stood and watched it," Butler said.

"Some people were already trying to leave and others were just sitting there going 'Yeah that's great!' and I remember that statement because I was like, 'This is not great, this is time to leave.'"

As the flames spread inside the one-story club, band members jumped off the stage and joined the crowd, heading toward the exit.

As the musicians perform, flames begin to creep up the wall behind them.

"It went up like a Christmas tree," Jack Russell, Great White's lead singer, told The Providence Journal. "I was trying to put it out with a bottle of water. I turned around and the building was engulfed. My sound man is injured. I'm on my way to the hospital. I'm missing my guitar player."

People on the videotape were screaming "I can't move!" as they tried to flee. Others were stacked on top of each other in the door frame, as they tried to exit the nightclub.

Three days ago, 21 people died and more than 50 were injured in a stampede at a Chicago nightclub, after a security guard used pepper spray to break up a fight

WEST WARWICK, R.I. -- A nightclub erupted in a raging fire during a pyrotechnics display at a rock concert, killing at least 60 people and injuring more than 150 others as frantic mobs rushed to escape.

The death toll rose Friday as firefighters searched through the charred shell of the one-story wood building.

"We're up to 60. We think there are more," Town Manager Wolfgang Bauer said.

http://www.kgw.com/news-usworld/stories/L_IMAGE.f37ae81eec.93.88.fa.7c.44eb96c.jpg'>

Flames engulf a Rhode Island nightclub. (CNN Photo)

It was the deadliest U.S. fire since nearly 80 people died in the 1995 inferno at the Branch Davidian compound near Waco, Texas. It also came less than a week after 21 people were killed in a stampede at a Chicago nightspot.

The entire club was engulfed in flames within three minutes, Fire Chief Charles Hall said. Club capacity was 300, but Hall said fewer people than that were inside the building.

The '80s hard rock band Great White had just started playing Thursday night when giant pyrotechnic sparklers on stage began shooting up and ignited the ceiling above them and soundproofing near the stage. Some in the crowd said they thought it was part of the act, but the fire quickly spread, filling the building with thick, black smoke.

http://www.kgw.com/news-usworld/stories/L_IMAGE.f37ae81eec.93.88.fa.7c.4fae9b6.jpg'>

Wall behind band catches fire. (CNN Photo)

Robin Petrarca, 44, was standing within a few feet of a door, but said she couldn't see the exit because of the billowing smoke. In the rush to escape, she fell and was trampled, but made it out.

"There was nothing they could do, it went up so fast," she said.

Hall said the club, called The Station, had recently passed a fire inspection, but didn't have a city permit for pyrotechnics. The building, which is at least 60 years old, was not required to have a sprinkler system because of its small size.

Most of the bodies were found near the club's front exit, some of them burned and others dead from smoke inhalation. Hall said some appeared to have been trampled in the rush to escape.

"They tried to go out the same way they came in. That was the problem," Hall said. "They didn't use the other three fire exits."

The blaze broke out at about 11 p.m. during the first song at the concert in West Warwick, about 15 miles southwest of Providence.

"All of a sudden I felt a lot of heat," said Jack Russell, the band's lead singer. "I see the foam's on fire. ... The next thing you know the whole place is in flames."

He said he started dousing the fire with a water bottle but couldn't put it out, then all the lights went out.

"I just couldn't believe how fast it went up," he said. Russell said one of his band members, guitarist Ty Longley, was among the missing.

It was the second tragedy at a U.S. club in four days. Early Monday, 21 people were killed and more than 50 were injured in the Chicago melee, which began after a security guard used pepper spray to break up a fight.

More than 160 people were taken to area hospitals after Thursday's blaze, Bauer said. Firefighters worked through the morning Friday to pull charred bodies from the building as onlookers watched, worried about missing friends.

"They were completely burned. They had pieces of flesh falling off them," said Michelle Craine, who was waiting to hear about a friend who was missing. "It was the worst thing I've ever seen."

About 100 people gathered at a family center set up at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Warwick by the American Red Cross of Rhode Island. Grief counselors and clergy members were on hand.

Witnesses described seeing dozens of people dash toward for the door after the fire began, and some of those who escaped were later seen staggering into a triage center. Rescuers pulled badly injured victims from the fire as ladder trucks poured water over the flaming skeleton of the building.

"It was calm at first, everyone thought it was part of the act," said John DiMeo, who was sitting at the bar near the front door when the fire started. "It happened so fast."

Brian Butler was filming the concert for WPRI-TV and saw the flames spread across the ceiling and people rush for the doors.

"People were trying to help others and people were smashing out windows, and people were pulling on people and nobody cared how many cuts they got, nobody cared about the bruises or the burns," Butler said. "They just wanted out of the building."

The club had passed a fire code compliance inspection Dec. 31 to get its liquor license renewed, Hall said. He said sprinklers were not required because of the building's size, but a license would have been required for the pyrotechnic display.

Russell said the band's manager checked with the club before the show and the band's use of pyrotechnics was approved. The club's owners couldn't immediately be located for comment Friday.

Rhode Island Gov. Don Carcieri, who was in Stuart, Fla., to attend a governors' conference, said he planned to return to the state Friday morning.

"Our hearts go out to all of them. Our hearts and prayers to all of the families that have been impacted by this," Carcieri said. "This is a terrible tragedy. It should not have occurred."

Great White is a heavy metal band whose hits include "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" and "Rock Me." The band emerged in the Los Angeles metal scene of the late 1980s, selling 6 million albums and earning a Grammy nomination in 1990.

They continued to tour and make albums in recent years, maintaining a strong allegiance of fans from their glory days of the 1980s.

The worst nightclub fire in the United States was Nov. 28, 1942, when 491 people died at Boston's Cocoanut Grove nightclub.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Holy fucking crap... I haven't even turned on the TV yet, it's probably all over the local channels here...

The funny thing is, me and my friends had seen the fliers for the show last week and had joked about going just to hear "Once Bitten, Twice Shy", cause it was the only song worth hearing. Glad it didn't go beyond joke. That's fucking terrible news, I don't know what to say except my condolences to their families.

All of a sudden I'm not too hyped about going to watch Mr. Lif tonight, but hey, what are the odds... doesn't seem to be a good season for nightclubs though. Beer,

El Mamerro

Bummer

What a tragedy. I've had a few concerns in the past about rock bands and indoor pyrotechnics, but up until now, I think they pretty much haven't had any major problems, have they? I seem to remember a stampede at a rock show a few years back, but I don't think it involved a fire.

I don't much care for large crowds, and large crowds where there are fireworks and lots of agitation and excitement I like even less.

any living members of great white and the owners of that establishment should be put in jail for MURDER. who in their burnt out, still living in the 80s with pyro and bleach blonde girls mind would set off that kind of stuff IN A CLUB?

i feel bad for anyone who died in that place, but honestly, what the fuck was that band thinking? sorry bros but youre just not arena rock material anymore, so cool out with the light show.

and that quote of his, if real, is extremely insensitive too. burn in hell great white.

Screw what I said earlier. Someone needs to pay for this. Current cout is 86 dead with 150 injured. They expect to find more dead. There was only about 300 there to begin with. I want to know what the place was made of, gas soaked cardboard from the looks of how quickly it burned.

Archived