DELI 167 OTB AKA: BAN 2

ETHREADZNY

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i think that there used to be more black people that were good at graffiti back then.

now there are hardly any black people that are good.

(and pleeeasse don't start naming names and saying they are black, cause that could get the busted)

i dont mean there is SOME black people that write, i just think that there used to be a majority of writers were black.

now, a black writer is an anomoly.

16v.

Originally posted by sixteenvandals

i think that there used to be more black people that were good at graffiti back then.

now there are hardly any black people that are good.

(and pleeeasse don't start naming names and saying they are black, cause that could get the busted)

i dont mean there is SOME black people that write, i just think that there used to be a majority of writers were black.

now, a black writer is an anomoly.

16v.

Oh Boy. I guess there has to be one in every crowd. Why do some folks feel the need to break writers down by ethnicity? Graffiti (at least in NYC) has ALWAYS been reflective of the population, my neighborhood in the '70s was Black, Hispanic, White, and a smattering of Asian and East Indian...and that's exactly what the writing crews looked like. That is what attracted me to Writing in the first place, it was one activity I could fit into regardless. Unlike the gangs, or even sports, which were pretty much racially divided. The black dudes ran the basketball courts, the Puerto Ricans held down the handball court. That's just the way it was, the school-yards looked like prison-yards, with kids sticking together along racial lines. Anytime you saw a group of three or more kids of mixed backgrounds rolling together tight, you could assume they were writers. At that place and time, we took alot of shit from the gangs and the Police alike for "breaking the barriers".

As far I can see New York is still pretty well mixed in terms of it's writers, and Crews are still made up of many different races and socio-economic backgrounds. If you are only hanging with white writers, that is by your own choice. Perhaps you need to stop focusing on race so much. It concerns me when writers try to separate our thing by race, that is a divide and conquer tactic better left to the Police and others outside of graffiti who would like to see us go away. That or they speak from plain ignorance of the history of this movement (like the Book Reviewer, in the Village Voice I believe, who decided that ESPO was a "wigger" for wanting to write). Graffiti is not, and never has been "a black thing", a "hispanic thing", or anyone elses "thing". It is now, as always, for those with the heart , skill, and determination.

"now there are hardly any black people that are good."

Wow.

This is just pure ignorance, duke. I can, and will if you require, call at least fifteen black writers in my local area right now, who would gladly (and EASILY) toast you. Old timers OR newer kids. (no, I'm not going to name names on here, but feel free to contact me.) And I'm not even in the loop anymore.

I know there are alot of kids out there who look up to you, (for good reason...you have been putting in work) but if you feel the need to spew stupidity like this, someone is going to check you.

^ ^ ^

this is one of the most poignant, lasting comments I've read on this board in a long time.

you seem to be a fine, genuine, considerate person which is a rare find in the graffiti world. congrats on not being an asshole.

that last deli piece is smooth. it bears a striking resemblance to that super-fresh "Roll" piece from Dondi's book. really similar flow, but again really, very good.

i have that issue of flashbacks. that shot with the chris 47 is in it. dope.

as for the race issue i think 16 was just trying to make the point that less people who are black write now than ten or twenty years ago, which is too bad because the more writers the better. outside of ny and philly this is unquestionable true. here in jersey, especially newark its very true. when i was coming up in the early to mid 90's, most of the writers i was with were black, but they almost all stopped writing and younger black kids didn't take their place. now the youngest black writers that are worth mentioning are in their mid 20's and there's only a few of them. meanwhile in the white and hispanic neighborhoods 13 year old toys are still coming out every week... in a city like newark that means that 2/3 of the city goes unbombed except by a few old timers. the white and latin kids won't bomb in the black neighborhoods and i don't blame them. i used to do that shit when i was like 15 years old on foot or on my bike and im lucky to be alive after some of the experiences i had... i know in nyc this doesn't apply...

Archived