Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ETHREADZNY

DELI 167 OTB AKA: BAN 2

Guest imported_Europe

Fresh post E, deserves plenty replies.

Ill styles, love the last one

Guest imported_Europe

He had an interview in Flashbacks (?) or something in the mid-90's, right?

Guest railroadjerk

i like his appearance in the cope video.. "he said that i went over him...if i did, i did."

Not many threads that are worth bumps these days..this dude is classic..thats what its all about..DELI,BAN2=dumb freshhh

i think that there used to be more black people that were good at graffiti back then.

now there are hardly any black people that are good.

(and pleeeasse don't start naming names and saying they are black, cause that could get the busted)

i dont mean there is SOME black people that write, i just think that there used to be a majority of writers were black.

now, a black writer is an anomoly.

16v.

Originally posted by sixteenvandals

i think that there used to be more black people that were good at graffiti back then.

now there are hardly any black people that are good.

(and pleeeasse don't start naming names and saying they are black, cause that could get the busted)

i dont mean there is SOME black people that write, i just think that there used to be a majority of writers were black.

now, a black writer is an anomoly.

16v.

Oh Boy. I guess there has to be one in every crowd. Why do some folks feel the need to break writers down by ethnicity? Graffiti (at least in NYC) has ALWAYS been reflective of the population, my neighborhood in the '70s was Black, Hispanic, White, and a smattering of Asian and East Indian...and that's exactly what the writing crews looked like. That is what attracted me to Writing in the first place, it was one activity I could fit into regardless. Unlike the gangs, or even sports, which were pretty much racially divided. The black dudes ran the basketball courts, the Puerto Ricans held down the handball court. That's just the way it was, the school-yards looked like prison-yards, with kids sticking together along racial lines. Anytime you saw a group of three or more kids of mixed backgrounds rolling together tight, you could assume they were writers. At that place and time, we took alot of shit from the gangs and the Police alike for "breaking the barriers".

As far I can see New York is still pretty well mixed in terms of it's writers, and Crews are still made up of many different races and socio-economic backgrounds. If you are only hanging with white writers, that is by your own choice. Perhaps you need to stop focusing on race so much. It concerns me when writers try to separate our thing by race, that is a divide and conquer tactic better left to the Police and others outside of graffiti who would like to see us go away. That or they speak from plain ignorance of the history of this movement (like the Book Reviewer, in the Village Voice I believe, who decided that ESPO was a "wigger" for wanting to write). Graffiti is not, and never has been "a black thing", a "hispanic thing", or anyone elses "thing". It is now, as always, for those with the heart , skill, and determination.

"now there are hardly any black people that are good."

Wow.

This is just pure ignorance, duke. I can, and will if you require, call at least fifteen black writers in my local area right now, who would gladly (and EASILY) toast you. Old timers OR newer kids. (no, I'm not going to name names on here, but feel free to contact me.) And I'm not even in the loop anymore.

I know there are alot of kids out there who look up to you, (for good reason...you have been putting in work) but if you feel the need to spew stupidity like this, someone is going to check you.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this