HOBO GATHERING IN AMORY, MS APRIL 9-13, 2003

KaBar

The annual Amory (Mississippi) Railroad Days is scheduled for April 9-13, 2003. Anybody living withing easy driving or Greyhound distance who wants to meet up with some of the most well-known, high milage tramps and hobos in the United States need only arrive there ready to camp. It is definately possible to ride in, but look sharp or you'll miss the get-off. Norfolk Southern has a north-south line that goes through Meridian from New Orleans. In Meridian, catch the Kansas City Southern north to Tupelo, MS, only 24 miles away from Amory, and it's an easy hitch. Obviously, if you are going to try to "ride in" you'd better start real early. Riding freights in Lousy-ana is VERY ILLEGAL, though. BE CAREFUL. The cops there are haters, bigtime. Mississippi, on the other hand, is apparently pretty cool. Who knew?

It's SPRINGTIME, and in the South, that often means rain. BRING CAMP GEAR SUITABLE FOR FOUL WEATHER, JUST IN CASE. There's several grocery-store type places, but all motels are likely to already be booked. If you want to camp out, you will be welcome in the jungle. Use common sense---do not break the law during Amory's Railroad Days. Because the local police department is too small to deal with the crowds (like, thousands) they enlist help from County Sheriffs and neighboring communities. Amory is making good bucks from the Railroad Days, and the tramps and hobos add to that (the locals love a circus) but if you get too weird or get loaded, or get rowdy or destructive, you are just asking to get arrested.

Don't hit buildings or anything else in Amory during Railroad Days. It's a laid back, sleepy little town that's cool with railriders. Everybody wants to keep it that way. Act up, and even the tramps may call you down, because it will bring heat on the jungle.

Loco Larry is the local crumb boss. There are some free feeds, but I don't know the details. Expect to feed yourself totally, and if you get some mulligan or something, it's all good. All normal trainhopping etiquette applies. Mind your manners in town.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Of Course

That's the whole point of something like "Railroad Days," to get young people interested. Not everybody will be, but there are always a few. If you're a newbie, don't feel bad. All those grizzled old hard-bitten railriders were once newbies, too. Just come prepared to take care of yourself, and keep in mind that there are always a few jackasses in every crowd, even a group as sociable as tramps. The anti-social guys usually don't show up at something like Amory Railroad Days, Pennsburg, or Britt. The anti-social tramps just stay isolated and reclusive and rarely go to gatherings. After you've got a few (thousand) miles under your belt, you'll feel like you've got as much right as anybody to show up at a deal like Amory, but you have to start somewhere.

Right now is a particularly bad time to be breaking in, though, what with 9/11 security and the Homeland Security Department's intolerant attitude towards tramps.

hmmmm...this is pretty close to my neck of the woods, and i know the line to catch to get going up that way...weve heard about this town, and this little festival and might have to get a little group up to check it out...kabar, there are mainlines that run through amory though right?? i was under the impression that there was a yard of some kind up there....i'll check it out on mapquest..

If you can go, it would be cool

It would be cool to see some new, young guys (or girls) attending stuff like Amory. Again, keep in mind, this is a little sleepy Mississippi town. "Entertainment" is going to revolve around stuff like listening to tramp stories, eyeballing tourists eyeballing the trains, playing "catch" with a baseball, maybe some volunteer work details. Stretch washes dishes at the cafe to earn a few "home-cooked" meals. Don't bring dogs unless you have no choice. The dog situation has been a problem in Amory the past couple of years because the tramp dogs are used to running free and the town has a leash law. They allowed the tramps to put the dogs inside a fenced area around a display steam locomotive one year, but Stretch tells me that's probably a thing of the past. If you go, BE COOL. Mind your manners in town.

Archived