throwups

Guest Prae1Boston

i dunno how people can say "no1 writes my name" cos A) you write it so some1 does and B) have you went round the entire world and looked at every single handstle dub piece throw-up? NO so chances are there will be some1 else out there with the same name as you even if they are just a toy

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by scene1@Dec 9 2005, 11:05 AM

i dunno how people can say "no1 writes my name" cos A) you write it so some1 does and B) have you went round the entire world and looked at every single handstle dub piece throw-up? NO so chances are there will be some1 else out there with the same name as you even if they are just a toy

:haha:

toy

whoever's postin that TOY relm garbage needs to change their name. go be original, RELM has been taken since back in the 80's. Theres no excuse for biting peoples names now in these internet days , back in the day, If you chose a name, as long as nobody had that name in your cit it was cool, nowadays, you better come correct, theres too much to choose from, change it.

Originally posted by sarchicha@Dec 13 2005, 01:20 AM

yo instead of hating on the kid for trying, why dont you big time professionals post your shit..

Well said, too many of these 'professionals' are too far up their own arse's these days. All of us had to start from scratch once folks, so stop act liking you never did...

Oh yeah, hate mail to the usual please...

Yeah, I understand the concept of staying simple and I feel I have. It's not as though

the letter forms I'm tryin to use are overly complicated. Infact they are all oneliners. I

guess I'm missing where it is I've gone off mark. Yeah, sure I didn't have to put those

backgrounds in, or put a fill in, but why not. Just because a throw is somethin simple

doesnt mean it has to be black and white on a page. So I tried something I thought

was interesting, guess it didn't work. I just thought I would to take a throwup, and try

to use a whole page, with all the markers sitting around me. Even though I used throws

as a color study, does that take away from the throw itself? I don't particularly see the

point in wasting an entire page if all I intend to do is dick around with a bunch of markers

as I watch tv. Im not trying to justify the way they look. If they dont float your boat, that's

cool. I do however think that too often on here people instinctively assume that a person

they haven't heard of doesn't have a conception of what they are doing, and thus they

get dismissed. I have spent a long time trying to understand letters and take them to their

simplest form. So yeah, I do understand what it is I am doing. Im not proclaiming to be

amazing or great at it, but that atleast I do have an idea of how things should be

done.

ps. To the concept of putting in work before criticizing other peoples art, I dont think it is

an issue ofposting your own stuff as to legitimize your claims, but rather understanding

the artistic ideals necessary to effectively critique art. That being said, I think that if in fact

you do meet that criterion then there is no real excuse for a monosyllabic dismissal

of anyone's art. If you have qaulms with it, say why.

edit for formatting and more thoughts

"I have spent a long time trying to understand letters and take them to their

simplest form. So yeah, I do understand what it is I am doing."

So you've been writing and studing letters for 10 years? And that's what you've come up with?

I know you're not trying to come off as cocky, but you're a young kid who by the looks of it hasnt been writing more than 4 months.

Im sorry dude, but it takes YEARS upon YEARS to study and interpret letters and get a grip on how they should be constructed. Basically if you look at cats like FBA/FC, TFP, TDS, TM7, those cats understand the "basic" form of letters. And they've been at it for DECADES.

"Understanding the artistic ideals necessary to effectively critique art." Again, I'm not trying to be a dick. BUT this is graffiti I don't know where you're from. But chances are you're a well to do kid probably in a nice highschool or college. The fact that you're likening throwups to art kinda sickens me. Tags and throwups are for trains and the streets. They're not supposed to be Joe Blow's studio art presentation where he has to explain infront of his panel of peers why this work is good.

Save art for the classroom. This is graffiti.

When I said I have been lookin at letters for a long time I didn't mean just in graffiti. I have been

into calligraphy and other aspects of lettering for a while. I am young, and I have only been into graffiti

for about seven years. I have started trying to write in a much more recent span. I originally never

planned on it, but I like it too much. In so much as I have had the time, patience, and initiative, I

have been trying to understand letters in their simplest form. Again, not saying I particularly do, but

that I understand the concept of that search alone. What then, would you have me do?

And how can you say this is not art? Tags, throws and the simpler aspects of graffiti are where one's

true artistic talent shows through. There is short difference betwen a wack throw and an amazing one.

Again, its dismissive to say that this isn't art. It allows one to make blanket statements about things

without qualifying them. Im not trying to say I think a person needs a degree to critique it, by any means.

I was merely trying to say that if you do have an understanding of things then why not give your

thoughts rather than give a one word answer as to how "thats even gayer than mine." I was actually

trying to defend mindvapors and Dawood. I am tired of people saying "why dont you post your

shit up." I could care less if a person has great work, but if they know what looks good then let them speak.

When I was talking about the understanding of artistic ideals, I simply meant if a person understands graffiti.

I was merely trying to elicit more of a response from them, as to what it was about my sketches that was

so displeasing.

So often does this debate over whether or not graffit is art comes up on this forum, and everytime the

prevailing thought goes to whichever point is trying to be made. You, are trying to explain why understanding

art isnt needed in criticism of graffiti, thus graffiti isn't art, but are not the things we discuss generally

as far as composition, continuity, line structures, etc... artistic concepts? Its stupid to say that

graffiti is independent of these things. In so much as my comment about understanding artistic ideals.

I meant understanding within the construct of that specific art. Therefor, I am not saying one needs

to understand dadaism or surrealism to know what looks good in graffiti, but just general artistic

concepts that extend throughout all arts. I wasnt even attacking peoples capabilities to do so on

here. I just wanted input rather than a dismissal.

I can't even really try to make a retort to you beefeater simply because of my age and who you

think I am. I make a claim, you refute it with people older than me. Its a catch 22 that I can't really

get out of. Your right, I am in college, but your presumption about me being well to do is pretty

uncalled for. What makes you think that? I have run the full gamet of living conditions in my life. The fact

that my parents made sure Im educated is in no way indicative of the socioeconomic status that I am part of.

Oh whatever, picture me as who you want, dismiss me how you will, it doesnt really matter I suppose...