Art School

Guest ToYs

Ok so im looking into this shit i know some of you are in art schools so hook me up with some info if you got it.

What schools are good? would i need a high GPA or SAT score to get into one? what kind of prerequesits are required? if i did really bad in high school but went to a community college for a few years would it make up for me doing so shitty in high school? what can i do to be more likely to get my aplication considered?

im looking for serious answers oNLY! no "haha They dont let toys in art school" or "art schools will turn you into an art fag"

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

have a decent portfolio

get nice slides taken of your works....key word being nice there. take em your self or with a friend that knows how to take pictures or hire someone.

visit the school if possible. ive only visited risd and almost went there for my under grad, shoulda, now i wanna go there for my grad degree.

my two cents.

Guest imported_Tesseract

yeah, i bet school's citeria may differ as to what exaclty you need to have, but a well represantation of your work is always the most important stuff.

ok.... from my experiences, art girls would rather be in

a) the studio alone, or

B) at a gallery opening dressed in black with the drink of the month.

where as film girls would rather be

a) on set for 12 hours with nothing to do but flirt, or

B) at a wrap party getting tipsy with film editors*

make sence>?

*ok... I thre in the 'film editors thing for my own selfish benefit.

fr8oholic: i live in northern Virginia but im willing to move. Ok so how would i go about making a "Nice" portfolio? i mostly sketch in a sketch book. do you think it would be a bad idea to take some flicks of a few pieces i have done? Most of my sketch book work isnt graffiti so you have any advice? i dont even know if im a good artist... i know i have alot of room to improve thats why im trying to go to art school in the fisrt place. ive had alot of people say that they liked my stuff and others are like "wow, thats ummm, different. if you wanna know what im talking about i could probobly scan a few to show you...

From my experience (at design school):

Do not show them pictures/sketches of graffiti that you did.

Grades/Test Scores matter much more than a portfolio.

pretty girls = fashion design

no attitude/acessibility girls = fine art

not hearing about ballet = go to a visual art school

And think about what you want to do, "art" is very general. If you don't mind moving, look for schools w/ a reputation. Search for what schools have a good program for what you wanna do (motion, film, graphic, painting, blah, blah, blah)

Be selective.

From what I've heard,a degree from a place like "The Art Institute of (wherever)"....is like used toilet paper.In other words,not that good.

Have at least 20 to 30 "good" pictures of stuff you've done and then narrow it down from that for a final portforlio.

Write a page or two on why you want to attend and what you might think your future plans may be....most places will want something like this anyway.

ok now the question is: Do i pay the fifty dollar fee just to get these greedy bastards to look at me?

im thinking i would major in illistration, maybe sequential art. i draw like distorted wierd characters and shit. i dont know alot of people ask me if i have mental problem after they look at my stuff. meh even if i dont go to school im still going to keep drawing.

They will likly tell you or give you an outline........or a "test" like give you a list of things to draw........fiqure drawing and painting, interior room drawings with people with out......they want to see you can grasp the idea of perportion and all the jazz...........................talk to the school man go there and see them yadd yadda

good luck!

I have to say art school girls suck they are stuck up or high on themselfs like NO other.............graphic design sluts SUCK

Toronto has alot of silly hoes like this ocad and sheridan like woah

im currently local but im looking into going to Parsons School of Design in manhattan soon. my grades are decent but im really REALLY working on starting to build something that resembles a strong portfolio right now. my actual application is a year away still as i need to finish some straggling classes here. but some teachers are helping me with my portfolio and im trying to get a bunch of different shit together of good quality to bring to an "open portfolio viewing" type deal there where they can critique my work and rip it apart. HOPEFULLY they do a good job so i'll have a list of things to fix and a half a year to do it so i can apply and get in. If your grades are phenomenal (sp...) and your a fucking incredible artist then you can always try for Cooper Union.....no tuition....its all paid for....but you have to be the best......or so i hear.

post some of your sketches here. im interested in seeing them.

i'd also suggest maybe going to a portfolio critique at whatever school your looking at...theyre usually pretty harsh, but its for the better. and if your in some sort of local school,and youve had drawing or something go back and talk to your teacher, bring them some work youve been doing and ask if theres anything you should develp further. my drawing teacher was awesome, as was my 2-d design teacher, so i have no problem going back to speak with them about stuff i do on my own.

Originally posted by killtheradio

not to grab ur thread from u but im from california and i was wonder if any of u guys got any word about shit in la/sf anywhere? and do u have to have par grades? or a good portfolio will get ya in?..........anythin helps?

my friend goes to the art institute of san fran for film. he loves it there. check that out.

also, most art schools will want good grades as well as an exceptional portfolio.....one of my friend got lucky....he's a complete idiot savant....got out of highschool by the skin of his teeth and went straight into working for a major design firm in manhattan because he's VERY good at graphic design i believe. i think he's also getting credits from parsons through that....something with his boss being very good friends with the president of parsons.

Archived